suggestions for a 1st rig?

Teamtiger

I know this is basic as it gets but i am looking for a cheap way to get started. any suggestions are appreciated no matter how out of the ordinary they are. i'd like something that i can play with somewhat right off on some easy trails.

do you want something full size or something like a jeep or toyota? jeeps and yotas can be had fairly cheap if you look around...

i'd prefer something smaller. my boy has a tahoe and there is alot of stuff we can't fit down with it. can anyone point me to some good starting spots to find one?

Hard to beat a Samurai for cheapness. You can sometimes find killer deals on decent running Sammis, they're cheap and easy to fix, and extremely capable, even in stock form. They'll even squeeze up ATV trails that will leave Jeeps looking for a way around. Tons of modifications out for them, and they're light and easy to get unstuck. (If you can actually stick one!) I know they have a bad rep for being cheesy, but don't write them off.

BTW, I'm 6'5", and can ride in one for hours!

I think the best bangs for the buck are '79-'94 Toyota 4x4 pick-ups and '91-to present Wranglers. The '79-'85 Toys are getting harder to find. The '86-'94 Toys make a good base for a wheeler project. Toys and Wranglers seem to have the most aftermarket product support also.

<><Fish

Jeeps, Zuki's and toyota's all very capable. All depends on your tastes. For me a CJ-7, or a Toy extra cab. I am just not comfortable in anything smaller. Many after market items for both, both pretty tough in original state, more so the Toy. Look at what you want now, and down the road.

Look to aftermarket support and costs. For example, the sammi toy axle swap is lke putting 1 tons under there and is a simple swap thats damn near bolt in. Transfer gears, suspension mods, steering etc, its all there if you want a barbie jeep sized, capable as heck rig thats lacking one thing, wheelbase. Next in line from cost factors is the Toy stuff, good axles, great aftermarket support and cheap to wheel. Then you get into jeeps, for all there weaknesses they are overall pretty stout rigs. More power than the other 2, more wheelbase than the Sammi and there again, great aftermarket support. Downside, more expensive and its still a jeep at the end of the day. :flipoff2: For a out of the box wheeler needing little to be a great rig, the Rubicon is hard to beat, most of the bolt ons are there. Just lift it a bit, swap on real rubber (at least size wise) and go. There a seat for every ass, you just need to find one you like. :smokin:

Full Size Jeeps i.e. Wagoneer,Cherokee Cheifs, and J-trucks are a lot cheaper than some of the little jeeps. I you keep you tires under 35's then your axles are fine the D44's and AMC 20's are plenty strong for most stuf.

The funny thing that I aways wonder about, is people want the small jeeps to go around all the stuf. When they fine out how unstable they are the start putting Fullsize axles under them and extending the wheel base.
Wagoneer and Cherokee chief's have a 109" wheel base and a J10 has a 119". I am not knocking the little jeeps but they are not my personal preference. Plus they do not have much for family or gear.

Ridgerunner said:
Full Size Jeeps i.e. Wagoneer,Cherokee Cheifs, and J-trucks are a lot cheaper than some of the little jeeps. I you keep you tires under 35's then your axles are fine the D44's and AMC 20's are plenty strong for most stuf.

The funny thing that I aways wonder about, is people want the small jeeps to go around all the stuf. When they fine out how unstable they are the start putting Fullsize axles under them and extending the wheel base.
Wagoneer and Cherokee chief's have a 109" wheel base and a J10 has a 119". I am not knocking the little jeeps but they are not my personal preference. Plus they do not have much for family or gear.

And the bonus of more sheetmealt to peel off. :smokin:

I really like Cherokee's there is so much stuff for them and they have the convience of having more roon than a wrangler. Only downside is that it has a unibody but it just depends on how you look at it. And the cherokee's axles are its weakest point but look around and see what you can get and then narrow it down to those few.

A FSJ is hard to beat for a out of the box budget wheeler. V8, D44s, etc. A home brew SOA, lincoln lockers and some good meats and its ready for some trail punishment.

StudNuts said:
A FSJ is hard to beat for a out of the box budget wheeler. V8, D44s, etc. A home brew SOA, lincoln lockers and some good meats and its ready for some trail punishment.

I have seen very decent ones parked around Nc for 1000 or less ther frames are strong and most of the parts are interchangble from the 60's to 1991 Just fo example a 1964 J200 door will fit a 91 Grand Wagoneer

StudNuts said:

Youv'e been watching "Trucks" again, haven't you... :flipoff2:

Rich said:
Youv'e been watching "Trucks" again, haven't you... :flipoff2:

No, if it was Trucks, he wouldn't have said spring over. Cool guy Stacey put on a spring under lift in that episode. Try to keep up Rich :flipoff2:

All Up 2 U Man...

It's whatever you prefer and/or can afford. If you wanna go cheap like me with lots of other bills, then you wheel an old beater CJ5 and have another couple projects in the works gathering parts up & slowly piecing something more capable together as the $'s allow.

Or if you got deep pockets....pick up the phone & VISA and either say:
1. Send it Overnite Red...
2. Build it ASAP as you see fit...

Couple good ideas for starters...
-Sammi's are quite amazing actually...lightweight, low slung ...just like the buggy trend is going....hmmm cut out some fenders, get the suspension twistin....will turn on a dime....hammer the gas
-Another is Isuzu Trooper...I've seen em really for hardly no $'s
-Straight axle Toy's...I've seen 'em float across mudholes, literally
-Wagoneers, just do a springover, springs flex like crazy...most have 360, th400, d20, 44 axles & they're very cheap & plentiful around here

Also...my # 1 upgrade recommendation....rear locker or weld it up...period

BigJUGGY :driver:

Well I suppose I'll be the odd ball out of the group and say go fullsize chevy, 73-87. Plenty easy enough to swap around motors, axles, hell anything you want. Strong aftermarket, and a good base to begin with. Also, they're cheap and people will just about give you parts for them.

I would have to go with a 90-96 XJ if I was looking for somthing for a low price that is a good starter rig. Parts are easy to find and it is cheeper than a Cj or Yj. Just stay away from the 2.8L models and the pre 90 4.0 has some very bad wiring.

Sam(slim)

Like most have said, depends on what you want to do with it wheeling wise. I have owned Jeeps for 25 years from mild to wild but if I was starting out new, right now, I would be seriously considering a Samurai. Cheap to buy and parts upgrades are also less expensive plus with common mods they are extremely capable trail rigs, lightweight for towing purposes and economical on the trail. My 2.

samurai...if you work on it by yourself...you can move axles, engine, tranny..etc around very easily because they weigh almost nothing.
they get almost 30 mpg in stock form....you dont need a large trailor or tow rig to get them to the trail....if you have a small garage they take up little space also.

All these guys are giving good advice. But I'll bet most are giving props to what they run themselves.
Me? A zook guy. Someday.....a loong time from now...... I wanna be buried in mine. It boils down to what you want or have enuff pocket for.
One thing to consider tho'.
All these guys are mostly hitting intial purchase or build cost. Consider upkeep.
True Samurais are cheap...some parts aren't. But the zook aftermarket isn't as bad as the Jeep aftermarket.
Another plus....at 65 mean, growling horsepower....you don't break much more than the occasional birf.

Matt ZOOK POWER! :D ....or the lack thereof :(

Older Jeeps will nickel and dime you to death. New Jeeps are costing $3000 for even a '89 model beater. Toyotas pickups aren't much fun to drive off-road unless you cut the top off. Samuri may be the way to go. Get the low case gears and SOA.

Back