Susp and alignment help...06 LJ

smith92rc

Me and the wife put on a clayton 4" lift on her 06 lj. .has the currie correctlyntc and currie antirock... has slip yoke kit and new driveshaft... has jku front and rear sway bars... it has been aligned twice, but something is just not right... hard to explain ...needing someone to look and drive it that knows jeep susp and the parts installed to help figure this out... this is my wife's pride and joy and d ont want it messed up... thanks for any help... u can pm for my number...

What isn't right about it? Do you have the alignment sheet they give you after the alignment is done?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I do... when driving it the jeep feels like it darts from left to right, but steering wheel doesn't react to it... also, if u look at the jeep from the front the passenger tire points straight, but the drivers side tire is pointed out.. now we are having a vibration above 60mph... it's a side to side shake.. deffintly feels like it's in the front end...

Random guess here, but was the suspension torqued to specs with it in the air, or on the ground??

if u look at the jeep from the front the passenger tire points straight, but the drivers side tire is pointed out

What's the toe on the alignment sheet? How much caster? Description sounds like a problem with the track/panhard bar up front. Have you changed it? Installed any drop brackets on the track bar or drop pitman arms on the steering box?

In fact, it might be better if you just list what parts have been recently installed on the vehicle. I'm going to assume that the ball joints and wheel bearings are tight, since any decent alignment shop won't waste their time if they're not. It sounds like you installed the Currie tie/rod drag link. Any long arms?

What's the toe on the alignment sheet? How much caster? Description sounds like a problem with the track/panhard bar up front. Have you changed it? Installed any drop brackets on the track bar or drop pitman arms on the steering box?

In fact, it might be better if you just list what parts have been recently installed on the vehicle. I'm going to assume that the ball joints and wheel bearings are tight, since any decent alignment shop won't waste their time if they're not. It sounds like you installed the Currie tie/rod drag link. Any long arms?
Clayton 4" short arm kit. Came with all UCA and LCA front rear.. kit came with new front and rear track bars... kit came with dropped Pittman arm and double shear front track bar drop.. all this installed. Of course springs and shocks.. SYE also...we installed the currie correctlyntc and antirock...

Buy a tape measure and an angle gauge at Lowe's. It'll cost ya less than $20

Set toe-in at 1/8" with tape measure
Set caster at 5.5-6* with angle finder
Center steering wheel with a 15mm wrench

Drink a cold one, you just aligned your LJ
Have the above we got the caster btw 5-5.5

We had the doors off sat driving around. Looked at the tire while driving and I could see a definite left to right shake.. it's very weird..

kit came with dropped Pittman arm and double shear front track bar drop.
My money is on the track bar or drop bracket moving around.

Bad unit bearing or bad ball joint are also good options, but I would have expected the alignment shops to find those.

Got home early today. Unit bearings and Ball joints tight . Checked front trackbar and found axle side bolt had worked loose... tightened... then I used a string and two jackstands and to check alignment on front tires.. see pics to follow..

Passenger back of tire...string not touching... further away than the driver side..

Attachments

• 20180710_171740.jpg
    20180710_171740.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 226
My wife said this alignment sheet is the one that's current... I know the Castor is a little more towards 5 and 1/2 and 6 I checked it.... this is the first time I've done any checking on it and put a string on it since the alignment... I just figured it being a Jeep lifted it drove a little squirrely but didn't really give it a thought until the shaking started going on

Attachments

• 20180710_173630.jpg
    20180710_173630.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 236
I don't really understand what you're doing with the string, but the alignment printout looks fine.

The loose nut is definitely a problem. Use Stover nuts and torque to spec.

Well to me the string effect is no different than using a tape measure or a flat bar on the wheels to measure the toe I'm just trying to get an idea of how the wheels are in relation to everything

Well to me the string effect is no different than using a tape measure or a flat bar on the wheels to measure the toe I'm just trying to get an idea of how the wheels are in relation to everything
Look on youtube....lol ok, I made some adjustments , it was deffintly off...toed out.. I got it toed in now... now to find a place to take it to, to get it checked...

Back