Suspension seats

I would jump on the Corbeaus band wagon, but with a standard SS, unless you're sub-170 lbs with a beautiful girly butt figure like I got, you'll hate em.
*Snaps fingers*
Haters gonna hate.

Man it’s great to have you back :D

Honestly I'm tied between mastercrafts nomads and jps. Im hoping someone on here has some first hand experience in sitting in them and being bigger. The smaller bolsters and price seem like a great combination.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

@Desertfox1023 ran the Mastercrafts in his XJ. While I did not think they were very comfy, they were still a vast improvement over stock and they kept you planted like you need.

Honestly I'm tied between mastercrafts nomads and jps. Im hoping someone on here has some first hand experience in sitting in them and being bigger. The smaller bolsters and price seem like a great combination.

You've seen mine up close, but I don't think you sat in it. Cory Monsteller had the CJ with PRP, that I sat in. He's in Hickory/Long View, but I think he sold the Jeep.

I ended up getting the mastercraft nomads. I decided on them for a few reasons. First was the price. 400 for the pair. Second the brackets seemed good and not terribly expensive compared to the corbue. Third the bolsters seem to be flaired out more which should fit me better. Worst case scenario they get pulled out and sold for something more compfy.

Aslo my driver seat is toast and Northridge had them physically in-stock.

I also got prp 5 point harnesses.

Whats the best way to attach the anti submarine strap (between the legs one). Sand which plate to the floor?

I saw some good info on suspension seats on another forum, and thought this thread might be a good place to compile it here, for future reference.

I’ve got the XP’s in my rig, had them in a few different ones. Water will drain past the cushion but will still pool up below it and slowly drain through the mesh. I like the shoulder bolsters for containment and not bouncing all over the place. As long as your shifter is in your lower thigh/ knee area when your seated you shouldn’t have an issue with with the shifter. You will sit higher in these compared to a ultra, so if your head room is tight that may be an issue after installing.

Simpson Vortex: They have a removeable bottom cushion that I pull out if I am washing with a couple of smallish holes to allow drainage. Roughly 25" from the seat cushion to the harness hole centers and 30.5" to the top of the seat.

After telling them that measurements could not be found anywhere he sent me an email right away and said they'd get it corrected on the site. For future reference I'll put that info here including a screenshot of those dimensions.

Simpson custom seats in CA

310-325-6035

Simpson Performance

Edit: They have a dry foam option at no extra $$ if you ask for it. Said the density is the same but it drains moisture away more easily & less susceptible to breakdown. Their seat heaters are dual pad and if the seat has a removable cushion like this one then it'll come with a WP connector to the back pad. I asked about certain colors & they're emailing me pics that include those. Said let us know whatever I like and they'll send me out some color swatches for free.

screenshot_20200928-185407_adobe-acrobat-jpg.120398
20200929_101703-jpg.120399

For future searches since Corbeau doesn't list it, my Ultra's have a seat to shoulder slot measurement of 22" & seat to headrest top is 31".

XP’s are the same measuring from the seat cushion, but for some reason I feel like I have more seat behind my head than I do when I sit in ultras.
393a7920-af1b-4a05-8c0d-06d5d00cad14-jpeg.121012

That's exactly how I measured mine, with the tape resting against the seat. That cushion is definitely a lot thicker then, so I see why you sit higher up using the same mounts. They're claim of the Ultra having the same seat height as the XP appears to be bogus.

XP having a 22"-24" shoulder slot is an improvement, but looks like for me at least swapping to the XP would be a big mistake & just take up more headroom.

baja_ultra__86621-1588203106-jpg.121014
baja_xp__44421-1588203120-jpg.121015

36403_1513482201514_7496232_n-jpg.121016

The Corbeau XP make you sit way more "upright" in the rig vs the ultra and other seats.

I've confirmed this today with PRP. Keep in mind that the Podium cushion is 1" thinner than the Comp Elite cushion so this will change the shoulder slot & headrest height depending on what direction you go. This also means the GT3 seat cushion is swappable as well. Each one is slightly different than the other.

I like the split front of the Podium cushion. This lets you remove the cushion without fishing the 5th belt thru and should keep water/dirt out of it.

I also called about the GT3 cushion and Jonathan said it measured the same thickness as the Podium.

20201029_151304-jpg.121037

I have a whole new perspective now. Not only of why/how my setup was wrong but what I need to be looking for as well.

I was removing wallpaper in the bathroom & thought it would make a good backdrop to measure what I actually am & not what I think. So I grabbed a pen, sat against the wall & made my marks. A little tricky by yourself but you get the idea. Now I know that I need a shoulder slot height of at least 25.5" and a skull touching headrest height of 33" or more. My seat selection just became much easier!

Looks like the PRP Comp elite fits the bill. With a +2" height option and a -1" Podium seat cushion the end result will put me exactly where I measured myself. 33" headrest & 25.5" shoulder slot.
measurements-comp-elite-jpg.121043

20201029_174923-jpg.121042

Last edited:
I'm 230 and have 38" waist.

I've had Mastercraft Nomands and fit just fine in those.
The Crawler I recently bought had Mastercraft Rubicons and they are the same as the nomads in every way I can find.

I drive my TJ everyday w/ PRP DD in it, comparative to the Master Crafts I like the PRP better and would buy them if you want a low bolster seat. Worth the extra money over the mastercrafts in my opinion and offer a little more support in shoulder area. Hip Area is the same.

For My Crawler I swapped out the Mastercrafts it came with with a set of used Corbeau Ultra because its doorless and I wanted the taller bolsters in it. I am very snug in the Ultras to the point its encouraging me to loose weight. I was going to go XP but do not like the upper shoulder bolsters on the XP. My plan is either to loose weight and keep the Ultras or Save the cash and by a set of PRP COMP PROs.

If anyone wants to sit in any of the three let me know.

Last edited:
Back