TBI wiring harness questions? Help needed.

gmcjimmy88

Ok I pulled the fuse box and all from my 90 Blazer to use in the 86 Blurban. I figured the easiest way to do it the swap would be to run 2 seperate fuse boxes. Use the original 86 wiring for the starter and charging system as well as the rest of the truck. I figured I would use the 90 TBI to operate the ignition and the TBI. I figured I would run a hot from the run position to the 90 box to get is power. I will have to ensure that this wire has power during the start position as well.

Any ideas on what wire to get feed from on my 86 fuse panel?

I still need to find a fuel pump if anyone has one laying around?

What is the bare minimum needed to run the TBI setup?

How do I mount the 90 fuse panel? I was thinking of mounting it to the inner fender well inside of some kind of sealed box? Will it get to hot?

Any help would be great since time is getting short before the URE trip in mid August.

Did the 86 have a TBI setup on it? If it did cut the connectors of the 90 and solder them to the 86. If the 86 did not have a TBI setup on it mount your 90 fuse block in the engine bay and go straight to the battery for the power. Run the absolute min off the 90 block don't start adding a ton of acc of it. You might even want to look in getting a better altenator too if you do it.

never seen an 86 GM (truck or SUV) TBI..... unless it was a conversion and it obviously wasnt...

There is not that much new stuff that needs fire.
A cheap stand alone fuse block with cabinet would be better mounted uner the hood, if you insist IMHO.

NAPA part# P5001 will get you going on a fuel pump

never seen an 86 GM (truck or SUV) TBI..... unless it was a conversion and it obviously wasnt...

There is not that much new stuff that needs fire.
A cheap stand alone fuse block with cabinet would be better mounted uner the hood, if you insist IMHO.

NAPA part# P5001 will get you going on a fuel pump

Yeah the 86 was carb'd I pulled the harness and TBI from the 90. I have the TBI and IGN wired through the factory harness

I still need to find a fuel pump if anyone has one laying around?
What is the bare minimum needed to run the TBI setup?

Ouch on the NAPA P5001! $151 is kinda steep IMO although I do like the 22 psi top end. Depends on if you want an internal or external pump. I used the E8153, spec'd at 10-14 psi, external, in line type, which is the NAPA P74017 to get mine running. $66. Yager recommended the E3268, in tank pump spec'd at 12 psi to me, it's $68.

Bare minimum, probably just the MAP to get it to run. Map, O2 and CTS to get it to run OK, Map, O2, CTS and Knock Sensor to get the most out of the motor.

Ouch on the NAPA P5001! $151 is kinda steep IMO although I do like the 22 psi top end. Depends on if you want an internal or external pump. I used the E8153, spec'd at 10-14 psi, external, in line type, which is the NAPA P74017 to get mine running. $66. Yager recommended the E3268, in tank pump spec'd at 12 psi to me, it's $68.
Bare minimum, probably just the MAP to get it to run. Map, O2 and CTS to get it to run OK, Map, O2, CTS and Knock Sensor to get the most out of the motor.

$151!!!!

Think I paid $65 for mine, what 2 years ago...tops...

Damn 151 REALLY!?!?
Yeah not sure Id go there either. When I did my TBI swap everyone at Pirate, Fbody.org (Whatever that site is, I think Rich recommended it at the time), and IH8mud was recomending it...

Yeah, well it sounds good with the 22 psi like I said, but the NAPA on line site showed they were pretty proud of it :) Course most times you get what you pay for, maybe it's worth the money seeing as how my $66 E8153, brand new, crapped out in 2 weeks of testing on the engine stand :(

I am going to "borrow" the tank and pump from my 91 burban to use for the trip in a few weeks. I might go with one of the external ones before then if the money thing says I can do that. I will most likely go with one of the 60-70 dollar ones. I assume they have a warranty LOL. Thanks guys for the help.

I will use everything except the O2 sensors for now. I will add a set to my headers later but not in the cards right now.

I am going to "borrow" the tank and pump from my 91 burban to use for the trip in a few weeks. I might go with one of the external ones before then if the money thing says I can do that. I will most likely go with one of the 60-70 dollar ones. I assume they have a warranty LOL. Thanks guys for the help.
I will use everything except the O2 sensors for now. I will add a set to my headers later but not in the cards right now.

I understand the boat you are in, but you may be underestimating O2 sensors....

If you do not have them programmed or at least pinned out, it will suck.

I understand the boat you are in, but you may be underestimating O2 sensors....
If you do not have them programmed or at least pinned out, it will suck.

What do you mean "pinned out"? Is that a way to bypass it?

Please explain it to me like I am a 2 year old LOL.

Back