The build that never ends...another Toyota truggy (lots of pics)

Andy J.

Doin’ it LIVE
There are only about a million of these Toyota truggy builds, but I wouldn't consider mine so much a build as it is an evolution. Let's go back to the beginning...

I bought this thing in early 2007. It is a '81 model and it had dual cases, brand new tires, gears/lockers, propane conversion, nicely done flat bed kit, poorly done roll cage (among other things I later found out were cobbled together). I was excited to be back in the 4x4 arena. I had sold my build 79 CJ7 about 18 months earlier and wanted to get back into the hobby for (relatively) cheap.

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_Uhwarrie2010.jpg

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_Uhwarrie2022.jpg

Fortunately, the only thing that broke that day were the bull horns on the hood! I had to leave them on for at least the first ride!

Old CJ for reference:
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P1010154.jpg

After the first ride, I knew that I needed to address some issues. The wiring was sub-par at best and the dash needed some serious help. The PO tried to weld an aluminum dash plate to the steel body, then screwed plywood to it, then fiberglassed over it, then Rhino lined it. :eek: It was a nasty mess to say the least.

As purchased:
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_truggydash007.jpg

Removed:
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_truggydash018_1.jpg

Yuck!
ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_truggydash017_1.jpg

I half-assed a dash in its place using some sheetmetal I had laying around. Sadly, it stayed this way for over 2 yrs...

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_dash_2.jpg

Meanwhile, I didn't like the idea of running out of propane on the trail so I mounted the spare tank in the back. The tanks were in the same location, but I turned them vertical so they wouldn't take up any additional space in the bed. (no pics)

The PO had also done a 1-wire GM alternator upgrade, but the belt was squealing terribly. It was out of alignment and ther was not enough adjustment to tighten the belt. This is why:

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_oldbracket_1.jpg

I made some new brackets to give the alt a good mount and sufficient adjustability. I was concerned at first about that single bolt on the block (where the lift hook was) being enough to hold the adj arm, but it worked out well.

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P1010086.jpg

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P1010109.jpg

Last edited:
I have always liked stinger bumpers, but this one was more like a huge boner...

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_Uhwarrie2014.jpg

Time to get out the sawzaw! You will also notice that the winch mount is gone too. The PO tried to make the winch mount from a piece of angle that wasn't quite long enough, so there were only the two front bolts holding the winch down. It was quite unsafe!

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P101008d0.jpg

Now I need a winch mount, but I didn't want it hanging off the front like the previous one. I knew that I wanted to maximize my approach angle and I thought it would be really cool to have a bed-mounted radiator (like the buggy guys!). So I cut some more and purchased this universal winch mount from BudBuilt:

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P1010079_2.jpg

Installed:

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P1010108.jpg

Only pic I could find of the recently-moved radiator (looks like I did this prior to the tanks):

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_P1010111_1.jpg

Got a few inches of snow Feb 2010, so I went out behind the development to test the radiator and pull some kids around:

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_2210snow_1.jpg

Thanks khwrx! Its been a long and slow build/fix process, but it is coming along. I will try to get caught up on the pics today or tomorrow...

i like the alternator bracket, i had the trailgear bracket , yours looks alot easier to get to .

I didn't even realize that aftermarket companies made anything like this until after I had built this one. This location is a lot easier to access than the stock location.

Shortly after playing in the snow, I got the front end back on in preparation to do some actual wheeling! March 2010, the Carolina Trailblazers were nice enough to let me tag along for one of their rides up to Mtn City. It was cold and rained some, but I was having a blast. All was going pretty well until late afternoon when my passenger side steering arm disconnected itself from the knuckle. It appeared that the studs had loosened, then pulled (stripped) out the rest of the way. Fortunately, we were only a couple hundred yards from a staging area! A few very gracious Trailblazers helped get me off the trail, at least to the point where we could get the tow rig in there to load up. No pics of the damage, but here's one from the trail...

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_EasyOut1.jpg

The busted steering put me out of commission for a while, but I used it as an opportunity to rebuild the whole axle. All of the seals were leaking badly and the welding on the truss/diff guard was very poor. I couldn't afford to put longs in it, so I 'upgraded' the birfs to the Trail Gear chromoly units. Rebuilt and ready for the next adventure:

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_Truggyloaded.jpg

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_truggy.jpg

While I was at it I built a bumper for a friend's Taco and upgraded my shift knob too!

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_chris3.jpg

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_IMG_2500.jpg

Not a lot of tech in here, but oh well. I like pictures :p

Youtube vid from Kodak at this stage of the build:

Shortly thereafter made it up to Crozet, VA for the first time. Ran the with the 'body damage expected' group and they delivered! I crushed what little was left of the cab behind the door area and broke the booger welds on the cage where the a-pillar hoop met the rockers on both sides. Later in the afternoon a hole in a radiator hose took me out for good. Here's a vid where I popped a bead on an obstacle:

Now that my suspect cage is broken, it's time to do it right! Before I got started, we moved and gained a little elbow room! That 2-car garage was getting tight!

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_garage_1.jpg

Got the bender mounted and went to work...

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_cagecut11712.jpg

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_Cageconstruction4412.jpg

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_Cageconstruction4512.jpg

I figured it would be a good time to finish the dash up while I had he cage off so I scraped the rusty one I built previously and started over. Drew it up in CAD and had it cut out of stainless by a local machine shop.

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_Truggydashasmimage.jpg

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_Cageconstruction4912.jpg

Another run up to Crozet with the cage built and power steering cooler added:

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_IMG_8587.jpg

Then broke the driver's side TG chromo birf. Couldn't get the inner axle out and the splines were messed up on it, so we couldn't install the spare. Ended my day early.

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_IMG_8578.jpg

I had to use a slide hammer to get the inner axle out. Here's the 'how-to' thread: http://www.nc4x4.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-do-i-get-this-broken-toyota-axle-out.122622/

Got my spare in then took the family wheeling (to Uwharrie) for the first time. After getting over her initial hesitation, my daughter had a blast. At the trail head, a fellow wheeler noticed that my steering box was moving excessively. Turns out that the frame is cracked from where the PO did the IFS box conversion. We had driven all the way down there so I chanced it and we rode anyway, but I was as easy on the steering as I could be. We made it thru the day just fine.

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_IMG_3618.jpg

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_IMG_3634.jpg

If you read thru all that...thanks! Right now, I have the steering box off to repair the frame damage and I am relocating the propane tanks to add a child's suspension seat for my daughter. I'm looking at the PRP preemy seat or the Twisted Stitch kids seat. Anyone have experience with either?

Victoria helping me install the Warn lights:

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_Victorialights.jpg

Tank mock-up:

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_Propanetestfit.jpg

Progress:

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_tankmountprogress.jpg

Get that thing ready! You have to make it out and not break anything next time :D

I still wish I had half your fab skills

I'm tryin'! Obviously not gonna make it this weekend, but I certainly want to get at least one more run in this year. Maybe end of Nov/first of Dec.

Now that you have a welder, the sky is the limit!

Made a little progress this weekend. Finished all the fabrication for the tank mounts. Still need to make new shock mounts tho.

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_Tanks11412.jpg

Also managed to get my hands on some high-class lighting! I'm thinking that I may run the dual unit up top/KOH style, the single Pioneer unit in the grille area, and the smaller one in on the cage pointing to the back to light up the bed area.

ai661.photobucket.com_albums_uu335_thjones3_lights.jpg

Minor update: This weekend I installed a TG IFS box conversion kit to shore up the frame where it was messed up from the previously installed conversion kit. I got one of the shock mounts done on the rear axle before I ran out of wire for the welder.

Im thinking about removing that rear brake load valve and just plumbing straight to the rear brakes with no prop valve. Anyone know if that will cause any issues? I don't think it will, especially since this is a trail-only truck. I can always add a prop valve later if needed.

khwrx, I think it was you that come over and said 'hi' in the parking lot at Uhwarrie (correct me if I am wrong). It was good to meet you and thanks for introducing yourself! Before the trip I fixed all of my lighting issues and added the dual Whelen Pioneer Plus unit in the grille area. That light was ridiculously bright! Here are my pics from Uwharrie: http://s661.beta.photobucket.com/user/thjones3/library/Uwharrie Nov 2012

I didn't break anything, but my oil leak from the side of the engine block was significantly worse. I need to get that fixed before the next ride.

sorry dont think it was me, i havent been to URE in a couple years. what side is you oil leak ? i used an aftermarket oil filter and it leaked like hell, put a toyota filter on it and it was good to go.

Sorry, the guy told me his screen name but my memory sucks. He seemed like a cool dude. Maybe he will post up and set me straight (hint, hint ;) ).

There is some kind of plug in the block on the passenger side below and rearward of the oil filter. I will have to get a pic of it. Looks like someone stuffed some bubbalicious in the hole. o_O

Back