The CJ7

89wrangler

Not a new member
Bought this a few months back. Plan is to keep it stock and just make a descent weekend driver. It is a 1981, 4.2, 4 speed and tilt steering wheel. According to the VIN, it was possibly a Larado. It does have the tach and clock and some pin stripes left over. Also has the factory rear tire carrier. Overall great bones. Frame is great, very minimal rust on the floor boards, engine runs great and appears to have been rebuilt somewhere along the line. Great oil pressure and runs cool. Some issues, the windshield frame is shot, and the rear hardtop window frame is toast. Hard top needs painted and does the whole Jeep. Jeep came with a replacement windshield frame which was a plus. This will be a slow build as time permits.
The jeep
IMG_0529.jpeg

IMG_0532.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg

IMG_0530.jpeg

The first order of business will be to address the windshield frame and gaskets. It was terrible!hoping the cowl is good and not rusted.
IMG_0535.jpeg

IMG_0537.jpeg

IMG_0538.jpeg

Windshield frame removed.
IMG_0540.jpeg

Repacement windshield frame.
IMG_0539.jpeg

More on the windshield. Bottom of windshield frame is solid. Just 3 or 4 coats of paint over the last 32 years
IMG_0542.jpeg

after removing a few layers of pain.
IMG_0543.jpeg

removing glass from old windshield, it slipped off of saw horses and fell on a board on the floor. Of course it broke..
IMG_0545.jpeg

removing brackets from donor windshield frame, of course the last bolt had to break off.
IMG_0544.jpeg

drilled it out and then ran a tap to clean up the threads
IMG_0547.jpeg

some more sanding and priming

IMG_0549.jpeg

decided to go ahead and remove the hinge. That was no fun.
IMG_0642.jpeg

frame waiting on some paint
IMG_0550.jpeg

Last edited:
Figured I would knock out painting the hard top. Turned out to be a bigger job than I estimated.

before
IMG_0641.jpeg

IMG_0640.jpeg

let the sanding begin.
IMG_0636.jpeg

IMG_0648.jpeg

IMG_0647.jpeg

IMG_0645.jpeg

IMG_0649.jpeg

Someone had try to rattle can inside of the top gray and it looked horrible. At least now it is consistent and one colo.
IMG_0651.jpeg

First coat of primer on the top
IMG_0654.jpeg

A Lot of Good work! But with Jeeps, the more you do, the More you end up doing! If you can fine some of that anti-rust liquid, & drown the inside of the windshield frame, Go for it! It Will Leak! I'd say forget any gasket sealer, just go with new gaskets. I installed a new frame, professionally primed & painted. I had new gaskets & had a glass place install the glass, & they sealed it.
It leaked. And over the years, it has rusted.
You probably know you can spray the top, or brush roll it. Depends on the finish you want. Good Luck!

After the first coat of primer, more sanding
IMG_0662.jpeg

IMG_0663.jpeg

IMG_0664.jpeg

Another coat of primer and sanding
IMG_0665.jpeg

time to finally shoot some black
IMG_0666.jpeg

IMG_0667.jpeg

IMG_0668.jpeg

IMG_0670.jpeg

IMG_0669.jpeg

Next order of business to to try and clean the paint off the side window gasket where someone had painted them in the past. It is not playing very well at all.
IMG_0674.jpeg

IMG_0673.jpeg

IMG_0672.jpeg

Last edited:
Seals are good. But looking for new they seem to be hard to find. I did find one on ebay for $60..

Are these the ones you are seeing? If so, have you used them? Mine are one piece with the ends joined together. This one appears the ends are not and could create a gap where they but up. They also state and adhesive should be used between the rubber and glass. Mine have no sealant used.

Are these the ones you are seeing? If so, have you used them? Mine are one piece with the ends joined together. This one appears the ends are not and could create a gap where they but up. They also state and adhesive should be used between the rubber and glass. Mine have no sealant used.
Yes. Place the “joint” at the bottom center. I didn’t use any sealant. I’ve done two hardtops so that’s 4 side windows and the joint was tight On all 4.

there are also replacement seals for the lift gate if needed

Brake fluid can swell some rubbers if left on for a long period of time and if the paint is old it takes a long time before the brake fluid to work. I have used the spray on stripper with good luck because it works faster on the paint break down before it works into the rubber.

Finally got some time to work on this a little. Got the windshield back on the Jeep. Rattle can paint for now. Going to drive it around a while to see if there are any issues that pop up before the tear down. I still need a rear hardtop door if anybody has a line on one.
IMG_0871.jpeg

IMG_0870.jpeg

IMG_0872.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks good! I'm really digging this cj7 reminds me of my old one.:beer: Does it have power steering and power brakes?

Looks good! I'm really digging this cj7 reminds me of my old one.:beer: Does it have power steering and power brakes?
Yes, power steering, power brakes and tilt as well.

Looks just like mine before I went monster garage on it. Even the same color. Fun little jeep

Got tunes now. Front speakers should be here today. This thing runs and drives great! Wife loves driving it as well so that is a huge plus.
IMG_0966.jpeg

Back