The Garden Thread

Definitely if you wanted them this year would have been great. I plan on building 10 nucs for that reason. I have already been fighting swarms. You get them to survive the next is management. Had I been able to knock them back I wouldn't have grown this big.
had to much on my plate this year fixing this place up. yard is almost done. Let me know next year. I would swap with a buddy up here a 10 frame brood box with 5 frames in it with bees and give him the a new box with new frames in it. thats what he liked to do but ill work whatever you want to do out.

had to much on my plate this year fixing this place up. yard is almost done. Let me know next year. I would swap with a buddy up here a 10 frame brood box with 5 frames in it with bees and give him the a new box with new frames in it. that is what he liked to do but ill work whatever you want to do out.
I'll probably run 5 frame nucs. Move the nuc frames to a portable box or the box someone brings. If I do it it will be with a laying queen of that box instead of a mated queen added to mixed colony bees. Some move nucs that way. I think it's bad practice. If your doin that might as well be a package of bees and drawn comb. I like a nuc to be what it should be: an established small colony.

For giggles I am going to over winter a two story nuc this year. It'll probably be the coldest and longest on record, šŸ˜‚.

Anyone try a double or as I read a 3D fence for deer? Darn rascals are already feasting on my hard work.

I made a double layer fence out of masons twine before and it had decent success

It was a pain to take it down to get the tractor in to cultivate though
I guess the question was looking for positive reinforcement of my hopes.

I done set up one up. It lights this gadget up like a Christmas tree.
IMG_20230523_224731118.jpg

I went with mostly temporary step in post and poly line. If it works much I will step it up when I run planned pasture fence. I bought a 60 mile AC powered tingler.

I guess the question was looking for positive reinforcement of my hopes.

I done set up one up. It lights this gadget up like a Christmas tree.
View attachment 397733

I went with mostly temporary step in post and poly line. If it works much I will step it up when I run planned pasture fence. I bought a 60 mile AC powered tingler.
I felt like it worked. The rational made sense, the multiple layers throw off the deers depth perception and they can't determine how far to jump, so they don't.

For someone who doesn't really care for vegetables, I quite like my garden..

IMG_20230618_175946366_HDR.jpg

Volunteer pumpkin I've been nurturing. I was hoping it was a big pumpkin, but I'm afraid it's the offspring of one of those stupid little gourd ones that my wife puts on the mantle. You never know what will pop up when you shoot pumpkins like skeet in the back yard.
IMG_20230618_175918670_HDR.jpg

Now for my pride and joy. 3 of my 7 pecan trees are bearing nuts for the first time. I planted these 3 years ago and they were just over my waist. I've fertilized the shit out of them and they're a foot over my head now.

So proud. I might have enough to sprinkle over a single ice cream sundae this year.

IMG_20230618_172142137.jpg

Wife has been busy with our little garden. Seems to be doing well.
20230619_205404.jpg
20230619_205436.jpg

Now for my pride and joy. 3 of my 7 pecan trees are bearing nuts for the first time. I planted these 3 years ago and they were just over my waist. I've fertilized the shit out of them and they're a foot over my head now.

So proud. I might have enough to sprinkle over a single ice cream sundae this year.

View attachment 399120

You better kill every squirrel you see then.

Wife wanted to go big or go home......she's already wondering what she let me create.

Been busting my butt all around. Rain delayed our third picking but we got cucumber šŸ„’ coming in by the bucket. Some of these are a bit to big, may get fed to some critters. We are also gonna try selling some of everything.
Beans are late. Squash and zucchini fixing to hit along with several pepper varieties.
8702 (1).jpeg

Wife wanted to go big or go home......she's already wondering what she let me create.

Been busting my butt all around. Rain delayed our third picking but we got cucumber šŸ„’ coming in by the bucket. Some of these are a bit to big, may get fed to some critters. We are also gonna try selling some of everything.
Beans are late. Squash and zucchini fixing to hit along with several pepper varieties.
View attachment 399378

Pickle time!

IMG_20230622_191356433.jpg

Watermelon patch. Need to trim a big tree causing to much shade. We had a better year last year. Tree grew a bunch.
IMG_20230622_191448560.jpg

Swamp. I mean Toe-Mae-Toes the foreground is our onions. They are doing way better then last year getting better sun.
Trying a new trellis method. Not sold on it.
IMG_20230622_191456143.jpg

Various peppers. Gonna have to add some stakes.
IMG_20230622_191930321.jpg

Volunteer maters and taters....future greens and garlic beds.
IMG_20230622_191938269.jpg

Potato plants little red and sweet taters.....not doing so hot. Been really wet and the tree line has them shaded some. Fixing that this fall.
IMG_20230622_191950774.jpg

Late beans two types older seed isn't showing. Okra rows.
IMG_20230622_192001350.jpg

Zucchini and Squash rows...the corn is coming along.

View attachment 399378

Seems like I need to come shoot and get some grub!

8734.jpeg

Our farm work is showing out some. Any of y'all Mocksville locals want some farm goods come see us.
FB_IMG_1688085816875.jpg
We aren't too scary!

We have some weeding and garden maintenance to do today. I bought a Stihl cultivator for my Kombi/trimmer to hopefully it goes quick.

tmp_1c04d7cb-70bc-49cb-ba38-162b4317b53a_436069169721556.gif

Rain!

Sweet Sweet Rain.

Everything is growing great (except green beansā€¦.went with a stringless bush type) and despite the dryness all the plants are flowering. I had a battle early with Japanese Beetles but I apparently kilt em pretty good. Beans just seem to be slow to take off, they do have flowers.

First year for potatoes, Yukon Gold. They are about 20ā€ tall so I hope the roots are doing their thing. I gotta buy a potato plow.

Peppers are fruiting, cukes and zukes are too. Tomatoes are ripening. Corn is about 3ā€™.

Just like last year, deer are leaving the garden alone. There are tracks but no damage šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø They worked my neighborā€™s garden over to the point he fenced it but they havenā€™t damaged oursā€¦.didnā€™t last year either. Weird.

Gonna put out some 10-10-10 this week. Need to hoe the corn rows.

potatoes ā¤µļø

IMG_1356.jpeg

It's nice to have friends that are real farmers. Had our sons birthday party yesterday and wound up with two bags of sweet corn. Spent the afternoon blanching corn. The milky way variety is amazing šŸ˜

IMG_20230709_174825516_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I've pretty much give up on my actual garden šŸ¤£. Two weeks of neglect at a crucial time and it's pretty well gone. My wife was out of town for work one week and I didn't have time to tend to it after work and single parent, then the following week we had bible school so it pretty much went away from here. Monster zucchini and cucumbers, beans way too big, bugs got my tomatoes and cabbage and I said to heck with the rest of it. I really only like driving the tractor anyway šŸ˜‚. That all said, I've decided to focus on things that I had little to do with their success, but that I'm proud of none the less. ...

Volunteer pumpkin is kicking butt. Im thinking that it's getting the perfect amount sun on the north side of my carport. The vine is now almost 30' long.

IMG_20230712_192413005.jpg

IMG_20230712_192359966.jpg

I may have enough pecans to crumble over one small ice cream sundae this fall.

IMG_20230712_193707805.jpg

I've pretty much give up on my actual garden šŸ¤£. Two weeks of neglect at a crucial time and it's pretty well gone. My wife was out of town for work one week and I didn't have time to tend to it after work and single parent, then the following week we had bible school so it pretty much went away from here. Monster zucchini and cucumbers, beans way too big, bugs got my tomatoes and cabbage and I said to heck with the rest of it. I really only like driving the tractor anyway šŸ˜‚. That all said, I've decided to focus on things that I had little to do with their success, but that I'm proud of none the less. ...

Volunteer pumpkin is kicking butt. Im thinking that it's getting the perfect amount sun on the north side of my carport. The vine is now almost 30' long.

View attachment 400416

View attachment 400417

I may have enough pecans to crumble over one small ice cream sundae this fall.

View attachment 400418
Doing JoCo proud brother šŸ˜‚

IMG_20230719_213409450.jpgIMG_20230719_213415057.jpgIMG_20230719_213448604.jpgIMG_20230719_213504669.jpgIMG_20230719_213508133.jpgIMG_20230719_213526232.jpg
We are still bringing in some stuff. Hope our green beans start hitting. Taters are better then last year but not great. We are still learning. Onions done one hundred percent better. Garlic cured great. Picked up some peaches on the way home from SC a few weeks back. If we grow some four legged food we could almost pass as homestead folk.....but then we would need to figure out feed for them and small grains for us. Plum humbled folks used to do all of this to get by. Glad to have some Southern Appalachian in my blood.
God has blessed us while trying to help tend to this part of his creation.

View attachment 400816View attachment 400817View attachment 400818View attachment 400819View attachment 400820View attachment 400821
We are still bringing in some stuff. Hope our green beans start hitting. Taters are better then last year but not great. We are still learning. Onions done one hundred percent better. Garlic cured great. Picked up some peaches on the way home from SC a few weeks back. If we grow some four legged food we could almost pass as homestead folk.....but then we would need to figure out feed for them and small grains for us. Plum humbled folks used to do all of this to get by. Glad to have some Southern Appalachian in my blood.
God has blessed us while trying to help tend to this part of his creation.
You doin good this year man!

Garden and wife #1 have both been pumping out produce.
20230723_212619.jpg

And today I learned that sunflowers are one of my wife's favorite flowers. She also took these artsy pics of the garden.
IMG_20230723_215458.jpg
IMG_20230723_215454.jpg

I too have sunflowers. Unfortunately the sun does not shine properly to make them face my house šŸ˜”.

They like to look this way.

IMG_20230723_163528474_HDR.jpg

Not that way.

IMG_20230723_163537354_HDR.jpg

Also, any fruit tree experts on here? My Arkansas Black apple tree appears to have shit the bed. I planted it early this spring. It looked good up until the first week of July or so. Not sure if it got dry, sunburned or some sort of blight. Any guesses?

IMG_20230723_163556591_HDR.jpg

I too have sunflowers. Unfortunately the sun does not shine properly to make them face my house šŸ˜”.

They like to look this way.

View attachment 401105

Not that way.

View attachment 401106

Also, any fruit tree experts on here? My Arkansas Black apple tree appears to have shit the bed. I planted it early this spring. It looked good up until the first week of July or so. Not sure if it got dry, sunburned or some sort of blight. Any guesses?

View attachment 401107
Hope it isnā€™t Fire Blight.

Back