The Hornet. 96 S-10 2wd to 4wd

Order weld washers, and blow the holes out with a plasma, weld in washers...easy peasy

Matt
By far the easiest way. I killed 2 bits trying to drill a trans mount.

Just fyi, drilling it is a PITA.

Order weld washers, and blow the holes out with a plasma, weld in washers...easy peasy

Matt

My plan is to cut out 6 bolt head size holes in the AR plate. I'll weld 1/2" Grade 8 bolts top and bottom of the AR plate. Those bolts will serve as studs to extend up through my 2 crossmembers and be secured with lock washers and nuts. That way the threads and nuts will also be protected by the AR plate.

Last edited:
Digging the headlights. This thing is super clean.

Thanks! Hopefully I get it on the trail this spring so it can start earning it's keep.

1310 Yoke Original.JPG

Scored this from Jody Treadway when I went to pick up my front diff. I mentioned I wanted one to try and improve my front driveline angle and he just so happened to have one sitting on his shelf. My Atlas was ordered with Toyota flanges so I was wasting about 3" of driveshaft length just making the connection. Oh well, live and learn. $50 is a rather cheap lesson.

1310 Yoke Clearanced.JPG

I'll use Jody's term here and I quote "Hog that thing out!". This gained me about another 5 degrees of flex if you trust the iPhone app.

New Front Pinion Angle.JPG

Much better driveline angles now. Again, if you trust the app, I'm resting at about a 29 degree angle now. Still steep, but I think it'll flex with my leaf springs no problem.

Finally got this thing running, driving, and stopping on its on. Just a little drive through the field and flex across a few terraces. Already rubbed the paint off of those pretty driveshafts.

Front Driveshaft Exhaust RUB.JPG

Here's where it rubs the exhaust crossover. Hope to fix that this week when I get the rest of the exhaust ran.

Front Driveshaft Transmission Pan RUB.JPG

This one might be a bigger deal. Gotta do some flexing on purpose and see exactly when I start to make contact. Hopefully I can address this with a simple bump stop.

Exhaust.JPG

Finally got to town to get my exhaust handled. I don't own a tubing bender and I needed some special attention to get up and over the transmission crossmember and around the Atlas. I picked up that 3" inlet pipe, Flowmaster single chamber, and the turndowns, all welded up off Craigslist for $25. Fits my needs perfect. Kenny's Muffler Shop in Shelby did great work.

Exhaust Out.JPG

Flowmaster and dual turndowns sound pretty good. At idle it sounds like a small block.

Exhaust Wrap.JPG

Picked up some exhaust wrap to protect the Atlas.

Flex 2017 (1).JPG

Had the trailer sitting there and thought I'd try some flexing and posing to see if I had any clearance problems anywhere.

Flex 2017 (2).JPG

Flex 2017 (3).JPG

Nothing bound up or popped loose. I'll take it.

Tunnel (1).JPG

It's time to address that huge hole in my floorboard. The kids are getting antsy to ride and I gotta keep their piggies safe. Picked up some 1/2" angle iron, 1/8" thick and a sheet of 20 gauge to skin it with. If it all works out, there'll be a removable access to get to that front u-joint for regular grease and a possible trail fix.

Tunnel (2).JPG

Mocked up the cable shifter base. It's gonna be a tight fit, but I should still have full travel of my sliding bench for when the wife wants to try her hand at driving.

Tunnel (3).JPG

Tunnel (4).JPG

Absolute worst part! Arts and crafts with my kids stealing my marker and my scissors. No shortage of paper airplanes laying around my shop right now.

Tunnel (5).JPG

I know the welds are ugly, but that's what a flapper disc is for. I'm gonna spray it with truck bed coating and then cover the whole floor with vinyl anyway.

Tunnel (6).JPG

Tunnel (7).JPG

3 coats of Truck Bed Coating and it's finally ready for install.

Tunnel (8).JPG

Fits like a glove! Seat slides all the way forward without any binding. I'll get that little door made next time I'm off. I have to get the vinyl floor kit ordered anyway.

Tunnel (9).JPG

View from the drivers side. Took the truck out for a few spins around the farm. The Atlas is still a little stiff shifting, but it does go into HI and LO and works as it should. Just need some breaking in.

Back