The how the hell would I know that thread...

junkxj

Well poop!!!!!
So, I can't be the only one who is asked questions that no one on this planet could answer...

For example, at work today I was asked how long a shipment that was coming from an unknown location, with an unknown freight company would take to get to our location.....

Or, my GF informed me her mother's mail box was run over this weekend and needed to be put back in place. She asked if her mother should buy a new mailbox, and would the new one be run over at a future time?

I know I am not the only one who gets this type of question....

So, I can't be the only one who is asked questions that no one on this planet could answer...

For example, at work today I was asked how long a shipment that was coming from an unknown location, with an unknown freight company would take to get to our location.....

Or, my GF informed me her mother's mail box was run over this weekend and needed to be put back in place. She asked if her mother should buy a new mailbox, and would the new one be run over at a future time?

I've been asked both questions before. I usually respond with some smart assed witty response just as absurd as the question but logical enough to hault any further questions.

For example, for question 1, I responded with "I'll let you know the duration once it arrives"

And for the second question, I simply responded with a "Yes". 3 weeks later our mailbox was again run over. I'm now a genius and unfortunately this now attracts 3x as many as absurd questions.

I've been asked both questions before. I usually respond with some smart assed witty response just as absurd as the question but logical enough to hault any further questions.

For example, for question 1, I responded with "I'll let you know the duration once it arrives"

And for the second question, I simply responded with a "Yes". 3 weeks later our mailbox was again run over. I'm now a genius and unfortunately this now attracts 3x as many as absurd questions.

I usually use the standard response of next Thursday as the catch all for any time sensitive question.
It works for when did the titanic sink, as well as when can 9 custom pieces of furniture I have yet to decide upon be built.

As for the mailbox question, I answered it with it depends on how much I drink the next time we visit your mother..

Both answers work for a short term fix....

Last edited:
My standard answer to an unanswerable question is "How long is a rope?".

My answer would have been "unknown" :smokin:

If the question starts with "Why...", the answer is either "Because the bus is in the corn field" or "Because its hotter in the summer than it is in the city.' If it starts with "Where...", the answer is "Its up in Mabel's room" or a very vague "Its right over there somewhere." I had all these answers committed to memory by age 3. Thanks Grandaddy.....

I face this one at least once per year: How does Santa fit down the chimney? I usually go with “He just does” or “He sucks in his gut”. If that doesn’t satisfy curious minds, then I go with “it’s magic”, which is my go to answer for all questions that are unanswerable.

Professionally...I'm expected to fill those unanswerable gaps. So I generally sandbag the hell out of an answer. The first question I have to figure out regularly...I know even the slowest sea shipments don't take more than 4months...so that's the standard response. Then after you drop that grenade, and you 'work you magic' you become a hero to your bosses when you can later get the carrier to commit to 3 months. And probably get a bonus check if everything goes smoothly at the port and the shipment arrives in 8-10 weeks.

For the mailbox question and ones like it...my response is generally 'are you stupid, think about what you just said'...and then go on about my business.

"You're not making any damn sense."

I know I am not the only one who gets this type of question....

Tell the GF, that it is OK and that the mailbox will never be knocked down again. The force of the universe only allows each mailbox to be knocked down once.

My wife and son seem to regularly ask me questions that I can't possibly know the answer to. It can be frustrating.

I face this one at least once per year: How does Santa fit down the chimney? I usually go with “He just does” or “He sucks in his gut”. If that doesn’t satisfy curious minds, then I go with “it’s magic”, which is my go to answer for all questions that are unanswerable.
Hold on to that as long as you can cause when they stop "believing" Christmas is not as much fun.

on job sites i usually respond im not the one with the crayons

I hate when someone asks you a question they damn well know you don’t have an answer for and expect one, and then have a fallow up question for your answer to the first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate when someone asks you a question they damn well know you don’t have an answer for and expect one, and then have a fallow up question for your answer to the first

Every job meeting I've ever been with where ***** is the architect (had to change that...damned if we didn't just get 3 more projects with them o_O)

Every job meeting I've ever been with where ***** is the architect (had to change that...damned if we didn't just get 3 more projects with them o_O)
I HATE working with architects. Only thing worse is an Architectural Engineer! Had one yesterday that changed the same stair 3 times within 8 hrs.

I HATE working with architects.

I don't hate but a few. MOST of the ones I work with are very good at what they do, and have paid attention long enough to know enough about P/M&E to field most of the questions without having to get me involved...but then there's the big corporate ones (how the hell did THEY get promoted to SENIOR anything?!!??!) .......anyway.... those festering boils on the ass of the profession....I can't stand

I don't hate but a few. MOST of the ones I work with are very good at what they do, and have paid attention long enough to know enough about P/M&E to field most of the questions without having to get me involved...but then there's the big corporate ones.......anyway.... those festering boils on the ass of the profession....I can't stand

Yea the corporate ones are a real pain. We built most of the new LIDLs across the state and that one was impossible to work with. Vague drawings and would never say what he wanted, only that what you drew wasnt it lol. Got real old.

Back