The "official" LS1/LSx/5.3/6.0 tech thread

Hey all,

First post... I'm building a 5.3 right now to go in my CJ7. This will be a road driving vehicle and I don't want to have a hard time with inspections. Don't have any experience swapping a newer engine into an older vehicle.

Can anyone comment on how it will be inspected with regards to the EGR? Will I have inspection problems if I delete it? Most headers don't have provisions for it anyway. Or will they continue inspecting the Jeep as if it is a 1981 vehicle that lacks most of that emissions stuff?

Thanks for any insight

Hey all,

First post... I'm building a 5.3 right now to go in my CJ7. This will be a road driving vehicle and I don't want to have a hard time with inspections. Don't have any experience swapping a newer engine into an older vehicle.

Can anyone comment on how it will be inspected with regards to the EGR? Will I have inspection problems if I delete it? Most headers don't have provisions for it anyway. Or will they continue inspecting the Jeep as if it is a 1981 vehicle that lacks most of that emissions stuff?

Thanks for any insight
1981 should be excluded from inspections...

I work at a chevy dealer and there have been tahoes and silverados coming in with usually either low oil pressure or a noise at half engine speed. The first one that got torn down had spun the third cam bearing back and i believe the second motor we tore down was also that same cam bearing. Last thursday I got a silverado 113,000miles real bad chirping at half engine speed removed belts and found it coming from the center of the block customer chose to replace motor instead of tearing it down. Just today one came in that had low oil pressure and the noise I am not sure what happened with that yet but I think they ended up finding another problem with the cam.

The worst part is that they all seemed to be fairly well maintained and varied from construction company use to soccer moms. Now this could just be a certain batch of motors because iirc they seemed to all be around 03' but the milages have varied from around 70k-130k

hope that helps if we end up tearing down another one soon i will try to take pictures of the failed areas

I’ve read a lot about the cam retainer plate having a seal that fails. It’s a cheap part and should be replaced if you have the motor out. Not speaking from my experience, but its common failure on track raced motors. https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-vyv.../12589016__29259.1406319798.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Back