The Old Friends of Uwharrie

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
As many may have noticed this forum no longer bears the name "Friends of Uwharrie", it is now called "Uwharrie News". The volunteering effort started here on NC4X4 that was later given the name "Friends of Uwharrie" is no longer directly connected to NC4X4. The name "Friends of Uwharrie" now applies to a new entity that is not a volunteering organization, but rather a BOD with broad goals and plans for Uwharrie as a whole. The volunteering effort will continue, some volunteers are coming together to form a "new organization" titled Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering.

I plan to continue to relay workday information to this board in regular postings, or if someone else wants to step up and post workday information that works too.

During the active time of the old Friends of Uwharrie any equipment purchased through donations (which was minimal) or donated itself was then turned over to the Forest Service for the benefit of all the volunteers. All equipment donated to the Forest Service has since then remained in storage at the Forest for its use and the volunteers. All other funds were spent on equipment rentals and fuel used in the rented equipment.

The future of Uwharrie is looking even better as we embrace the changes that the future holds.

Thanks or the info Eli. I still have the banner we used to hang up those early Saturday mornings to get people to sign up. No matter what you were the man in my eyes for the operation. First off roading sticker I ever had!
ai978.photobucket.com_albums_ae262_1tonoffun_3f072607.jpg

The volunteering effort started here on NC4X4 that was later given the name "Friends of Uwharrie" is no longer directly connected to NC4X4.

This is inaccurate. Friends Of Uwharrie is directly connected to NC4x4. The Directors and advisors are active members of NC4x4. The owners of NC4x4 are a part of Friends Of Uwharrie and if time permitted would be Directors of the organization. Friends Of Uwharrie was started by NC4x4 members, has staffed its volunteer effort in Uwharrie National Forest with NC4x4 members and hopes to continue to work in concert with the NC4x4 membership in continuing to provide equipment, funding and manpower in support of the Uwharrie OHV trail system.

The name "Friends of Uwharrie" now applies to a new entity that is not a volunteering organization, but rather a BOD with broad goals and plans for Uwharrie as a whole.

This is inaccurate. There is no "old" Friends Of Uwharrie or "new" Friends Of Uwharrie! The name and people involved are still the same! Friends Of Uwharrie is a registered non-profit whose only purpose is to provide volunteer support for outdoor recreation in the Uwharrie National Forest area, primarily in support of the Uwharrie OHV trail system. While the long term goals of Friends Of Uwharrie include providing an advocacy voice for all recreationists in the forest, its primary purpose is to continue to provide equipment, funding and manpower in support of the Uwharrie OHV trail system and to advocate for additional OHV opportunities in the area.

I tried to keep my post short and sweet so to speak, but since we are going down the technicality road here we go.

The first point comes down to my own definition of directly connected.

1.)The old FoU answered directly to the owners of NC4X4. The new FoU doesn't.
2.)The old FoU's main avenue of communication (a form) was hosted and moderated by NC4X4. The new FoU has its own independent website which is not apart of NC4X4.
3.)The old FoU BOD included the owners of NC4X4, the new FoU BOD does not.

That in my opinion qualifies as not directly connected. NC4X4 will still be involved I agree (and never said anything contrary to that), but its not directly connected.

The second point is the definition of a Volunteering Effort and a Volunteering Organization concerning the efforts to maintain the trail system.

Volunteering Organization: An established group with a title and some kind of leadership (or coordinator if you want to reference the old FoU) dedicated the sole goal of volunteering. The organization including its leadership are directly involved in the volunteering effort, this includes direct communication with the Forest Service for planning of the workdays, involvement (including leadership) directly in the workdays which includes attending the workdays, involvement (including leadership) directly in pre-workdays and other planning meetings involving the workdays, direct involvement of the coordination between equipment and volunteers, and that is just to scratch the surface.

Volunteering Effort: An individual or group of like minded individuals that participate in volunteering. They have no direct title as a group or leadership but are still involved and sometimes have a common bond.

This would be the difference between what the first workday we attended in March 2010 which was a volunteering effort, and the old FoU which was a volunteering organization. And this applies to the ongoing volunteering effort at NC4X4. I never said the volunteering effort wouldn't continue, it will continue as long as members of this board stay involved in volunteering. That has nothing to do with the fact that the volunteering organization once called FoU will no longer be directly tied to NC4X4. This leads me to the next point.

And if there is a New Friends of Uwharrie,

"We raised $400.00 even/total for the new 'Friends of Uwharrie' !" -BOD Member of the new FoU

there has to be an old.

This all stems beyond the fact I have been apart of multiple discussions involving at least one current FoU BOD that stressed the idea that FoU will not be directly involved in the volunteering effort but see themselves as having someone/somegroup (or committee under the broad umbrella of FoU as you told me) act as a liaison between the new FoU and the volunteers. Which I agree with 100 percent, and support. But being involved with and supporting the volunteers doesn't equate to the definition of a volunteering group (in my opinion). Especially when it has been made clear to me there are broader goals (long term or short) that expand outside of the National Forest that benefit Uwharrie and the community as a whole. Another concept I agree with and support, but its to call the new FoU a volunteering organization in my mind is inaccurate. Because simply to say FoU is a volunteering organization because its officers are not compensated is inaccurate. You talk about a volunteering organization in terms of the volunteering at Uwharrie and your talking about much more than just the fact their participants aren't paid.

It would compare it to a Hosptial that donates money and even has volunteers participating in the Red Cross calling themselves at Disaster Relief Group. No, they are a hospital that supports and is involved in a Disaster Relief Group. They are two separate entities that while work together and have similar goals are not the same thing.

In the end its purely my opinion, everyone else is entitled to form their own. Beyond that I will continue to support the new Friends of Uwharrie and its efforts based on what I see as an effort to improve Uwharrie and the community as a whole.

Last edited:

This is how I have felt the entire time.

Seriously. Same place. Same goals.Once upon a time, I was asked to do something. I was told not to do something. Whatever. I DON'T WANT URE TO WIND UP LIKE TELLICO. PERIOD. That's MY goal.

I've not been around lately due to personal issues and I am looking forward to getting back to volunteering, and just helping out. Don't care who I work with, don't care what I'm doing. just hope to make it as much as possible.

Eli,

Please just stop..

There are a lot of people that have been around along time and have been volunteering and working on URE to keep it open so you, myself and newer folks can enjoy it..

Every time I read replies like this is just looks to me like you want people to know you were the "lead" of FoU.. WHO Cares who was or who is going to be.. the idea is to work together and help keep URE open for the next generation.

I have only been wheeling at URE since 1999, yup I am a newer user at least in my eyes.. and I have seen lots of volunteer efforts change, but we need to step up and keep helping no matter what the role is you are asked to do.

I have led efforts and just been a worker digging poles with a hand fence pole digger, etc.. it really does not matter.. Just get out and keep helping..

The evolution of FOU into a non-profit has been the goal for a long time.

From this thread:

Dated August 31, 2010...

"Friends of Uwharrie is an official initiative of NC4x4. The Friends of Uwharrie forum was set up to keep people informed about land use issues in the Forest, volunteer opportunities, improvements or changes to facilities and trails, etc. A lot of good info was getting lost in Chit Chat...

I think that, long-term, Friends of Uwharrie will need to evolve into a standalone non-profit org like SFWDA, but with its mission specifically focused on improving and maintaining recreational opportunities in Uwharrie. The Forest has a need for an organization like this, but it will be up to all of us to build it."

As mentioned above, "us vs. them" attitudes will only serve to undermine our collective efforts at URE. As has been already mentioned, there is no "old" and "new" Friends of Uwharrie. FOU has simply grown. Thanks to the diligent efforts of the work day volunteers to maintain a presence and gain notice, in and out of the Forest, and thanks to the vision of Scott Fields and several others, Friends of Uwharrie is continuing to fulfill its intended role of improving and maintaining recreational opportunities in the Uwharrie National Forest.

A volunteer offers his service and efforts toward a goal, without the expectation of acknowledgement or compensation. Ego is checked at the door or, in this case, the trail head. My question for anyone to ask themselves is, why would the volunteering effort no longer be directly connected to NC4x4? The volunteering effort is part of the broader goals of Friends of Uwharrie and has been specifically included in planning and organizational discussions on many occasions. Why would any of us seek to divide our efforts and resources when pooling them will help us reach our goals?

I am starting to strongly suspect no one even reads my entire replies anymore, and the efforts of people to twist my words to support their counter statements is getting old.

Facts:

1.)There is a "New Friends of Uwharrie", so therefore there must also be an old.

We raised $400.00 even/total for the new 'Friends of Uwharrie' ! Thank you 'Two Guys Metal Fab', ECORS4x4Games entries/volunteers (CTB), RTI Ramp Competitors and Volunteers (CNC4x4) and Gary Devillars 'Chili Cook-Off'.

2.)I asked and even pushed to be apart of the "New Friends of Uwharrie" BOD. And was told NO that I would not be apart of it.

3.)I was told on 2 separate occasions over the span of almost a month that the "New Friends of Uwharrie" would not be directly involved in the volunteering effort; but they saw themselves working through an individual/group that would be in not so many words a liaison that relayed information between the volunteers, the Forest Service, and Friends of Uwharrie. And they did not know who would fill that spot.

4.)I have stated in every reply that I will continue to support the new Friends of Uwharrie and its efforts.

5.)I never said anything negative about FoU turning into a non-profit. Resources were in place to turn FoU into a non-profit over a year before the initial BOD effort started in early 2012. And when NC4X4 was informed of those resources the reply was "No we will handle it". And nothing came of that.

So lets re-cap here, I was told I wouldn't be apart of the new FoU, I was told twice that the FoU would not be directly involved in the volunteering effort and they had no current idea of who would be, and I am the bad guy for deciding to move forward in with my ideas that fulfill a job that is not covered by FoU. I also make it clear from the very beginning that I plan to work with the new FoU and its efforts, but I am the one trying to play "us vs them"....yeah. So either I have been lied to about FoU's involvement with volunteering, or FoU and the parties involved are turning down an opportunity for 2 organizations to work together in a power play.

I am not the bad guy here, and that the last thing I have to say on NC4X4 about it.

...I am not the bad guy here, and that the last thing I have to say on NC4X4 about it.

Well I am glad that you are finally done so we can now move forward..

Thank YOU

what is this?

"Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering Founder (UORV)"

I see it is in signature now.. are you starting another group that will be different then FoU?

I am personally tired of this individual's attempts to be the center of attention, claim credit for the hard work of others, position himself as some sort of leader who is misunderstood in his intentions, etc. It amounts to masterbating in public and it needs to stop.

Whether there are folks who have seen the good side, some sort of psychosis we should factor in, sympathies about whatever - it doesn't matter. Words vs. behavior people. Too many counter examples have been provided.

There are too many people who have given their time, money, sweat, tears, love, and friendship towards keeping URE a place that we can all enjoy, without any need for recognition, credit, grandstanding, etc. for any of us to tolerate this individual.

End it.

I just want to clear the air a bit for DRaider90, this volunteering group that is in the process of starting up is not what everyone seems to think it is. This is not a start up to go against FoU nor is it a group to take over the work days, this group has much larger plans that could possibly be an awesome asset to URE in conjunction with FoU and the forestry service. DRaider90's goal is to become a volunteer group that holds the correct credentials that are required by the forestry service to handle the larger projects that have to be put out to bid that can not be handled on workdays or by normal volunteers (no offense).

Who are you calling Normal ??

And let me know about that school thing you were looking into, might be a go for it also.

I personally won't come to a work day lead by Eli nothing personal but the past speaks for itself here.

Yes there are credentials that the forestry service requires the contractors that bid on the larger projects to have some of which are college courses 4 to be exact that one must have in order to build new trails and do trail reroutes. I am sure there are more but that is just for starters and Eli is working with the forestry service now to get a full list of what is needed. I guess all I am really asking is before we get to flaming on a forum and doing the whole internet keyboard smash is to stop think about the greater good of URE and think of the significant impact something like this could have for us as a COMMUNITY. Most likely the carriage was put in front of the horse a bit here but I will say this that the ones taking these steps forward are the ones thinking of the future even if that is 5 days from now or 5 years from now.

Krzyabncanuck we know you are far from normal, you do bring up a good point and I hope that does not get taken out of context I should have said normal volunteer days maybe as if this does take off anyone can volunteer under whomever has the credentials sorry if I offend anyone with that comment.

Biggoofy before we jump to conclusions we have absolutely no idea who will lead this effort or really no idea about any of it as of right now other than we are in the planning stages and Eli has taken the reigns a bit as far as gathering information to that all I can really say is kudos for thinking outside the box and into the future, just as I give you kudos for how you conduct yourself on the trails with helping beginners and teaching wheelers how to break stuff :)

I do not know much of the past other than what little bit I have been informed of from different people, what I do know about is the present and the future and if we come together as a COMMUNITY (and I stress this word) then we will accomplish great things and as I said in my closing statement at the meeting Uwharrie will become a place that other parks envy. If you feel the need to flame then I ask you to try this instead of flaming come forth with ideas and ways to better the situation if not then all you are really doing is undermining the foundation that has been set and ready to be built upon.

Please stop referring to the UNF as a park! It is not a ***** park! It is a National Forest. The rules and regulations are totally different. No intent to flame but become educated before you attempt to educate others.

Please stop referring to the UNF as a park! It is not a ***** park! It is a National Forest. The rules and regulations are totally different. No intent to flame but become educated before you attempt to educate others.

Thank you for clearing that up but I may be wrong as I did not reread all of my posts I do not think I have called Uwharrie a park as of yet only referred to other OHV areas as parks. I guess I do see the ohv area as some what of a park to me as it is a place I go to recreate and I do use the term in a general sort of way when I talk about the trail system.

You referred to the Uwharrie "park" several times at Saturday's meeting. There is a distinction that should not be used in "a general sort of way." The mission statement of the USFS is far from the NPS. To you it may be just a question of semantics. But if your desire is to educate the public on land use issues and Tread Lightly you should be precise.

Last edited:
Back