The right way to strap down your jeep

I've swapped all my straps out for ones with chains on both ends. It makes them more versatile in my opinion. I use axle straps on the axles still but in a pinch if one broke I could use the chain on the end of the strap. With the full length rub rail it lets me tie down different loads pretty easy too. I also cross my straps. Can't remember where I got these straps but they are made right here in NC and have served me well for the past few years I've been using them.
8zGBuVQnsldUwoQlhS9Wqw7pQybp_wZ38HfPwy3g2juH93DxfvK9JiIXWBVzJyW-ydX1udC5J-xo3RqbI3Y5NS2pxfGNgiD7hsdesdRYbuwniEeUF6MumG-5GmTR8Nfq4WdEpXhmLKnLdYkwUpgFXa6HMWk8TVdVkb5ffezLzaWfWfZ4qsyi6ZlDq6yX0NvWzYI7-J0aaXF2anM_gRTABM378lGp6tn2t1gQpfna2vg-r7CNo9Ax31rJ9lPpTWzQ1uay_4iHnEYamBsgAIGlcdESkLpEFhDTxf8zZJn2Y1yzxazMMc4WvsEQF6HzhKcI8oddRIAIfnevEr1GkhGerng5uEcY5CBe9xdNgjdge83EFjRZsQqQUpkfOnUG3ibOm3qOoQZxeush6RsUah_BLCyxl6n0mxBmFVjLYdKTohWM5xTNcM5A_OTpVJdHssdJSW16dgQRvHz_x9ME83voNzMvqpqc3rMHnBO65qp42mEn3gdtmi1VNbBoAkIMcI03VYXOKKfBgdzqFr0u11IAlfWnRT-mfX8jzIB9bTGrjrweefjOQuysVAMqDmXYSlPdT1v5SmX6nUA1jhWYluGb3WWQnaczgSqsPRE08AoS3Neq-SUJ=w1423-h1067-no

For the sake of argument, why did you connect the chain hook back to the metal ring on the strap as opposed to hooking it to the rub rail?

I still fail to understand the reasoning for crossing the straps, ever. If one comes loose then geometrically speaking the other is much less able to constrain the load if it decides to move towards the anchor point on the trailer. If the straps are shorter, into the corners of the vehicle, and one comes loose then the other will not have nearly as much slack to work with to let the load shift around if things go awry.

I still fail to understand the reasoning for crossing the straps, ever.

Better to cross the straps than to have them rub on the tires or the suspension, especially up front.

I'm with you as an absolute rule, and would prefer to add tie-downs to the trailer in the appropriate spots so as not to have to cross them.

I'm with you as an absolute rule, and would prefer to add tie-downs to the trailer in the appropriate spots so as not to have to cross them.

That's what I did on my trailer. I welded D-rings in the corners so I could avoid that issue.

For the sake of argument, why did you connect the chain hook back to the metal ring on the strap as opposed to hooking it to the rub rail?

I do it because if a strap comes loose there is almost no way it will unhook. You basically have to turn the hook sideways to hook it back into the ring.

I still fail to understand the reasoning for crossing the straps, ever. If one comes loose then geometrically speaking the other is much less able to constrain the load if it decides to move towards the anchor point on the trailer. If the straps are shorter, into the corners of the vehicle, and one comes loose then the other will not have nearly as much slack to work with to let the load shift around if things go awry.

I have always crossed straps unless using tire bonnets. I had a bad experience where I let some new guys tie down a racecar in an enclosed trailer and they didn't cross the straps. The car ended up hopping in the trailer and destroyed the one side of the car. I don't think it is completely necessary but in my case it is the best way to tie things down without having the straps rub on stuff. I probably have over a million miles towing vehicles like this and have had good luck so I'm not gonna change anything now.

I have to cross my straps on my trailer. its an open center trailer and the tie down points are at the edge of the decking on the inside, not the outside if I went straight from the axle of the jeep to the tie down points I wouldn't be able to strap it down.

Back