The right way to strap down your jeep

shawn

running dog lackey of the oppressor class
Administrator
Put two nice new straps up front so the Jeep doesn't fall off the back when you neutral drop it at the red light in Troy:
IMAG2989.jpg

And put one old shitty strap in the back to keep the jeep from rear ending the truck if you have to hit the brakes.
IMAG2990.jpg

@ol'Jeeps reminded me I had these.

:flipoff2:

Last edited:
Wow...

I didn't mean to make an example out of this particular guy, BTW. I have no idea whose rig it is. But if you walk through the outpost parking lot on any given Saturday afternoon, you'll see this and worse.

My front is similar to that, but I do have a front bed rail. Two straps on the front [used to run 1] & 2 chains on rear [used to be 1 centered]. So, at least I've doubled my tie downs.
Parked in 4 wheel low, 1st gear, & micro-locked.
[Only pic I got; doesn't show much]

Attachments

• IMG_20160512_163215776.jpg
    IMG_20160512_163215776.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 330
My ATV feel off my trailer in the rain a on the overpass to I95 in Benson, about 5yrs ago. Old straps broke and it was a bitch getting it back on a non tilt trailer in the rain! I got lucky and it justed rolled off and didn't tumble around. No more old straps ever again!

been running tire lasso's and have been very pleased with them.

There's a bunch of posts on the subject, but no one ever agrees what is the 'right' way. About the only thing we agree on is 4 straps (chains, whatever), one at each corner. From there, everyone has a different opinion.

From there, everyone has a different opinion.

Well, after that, "it depends". Radiating the straps out from center mass is better than crossing them, but crossing them is better than letting them rub on one another or on tires, etc. Hooking a strap over the rub rail and side-loading the hook is a no-no. Hooking to sprung portions of the vehicle is a bad idea. Tire lassos (through the wheel) are good. Tire nets are, too.

Somewhat Strange pic. But if we'er being critical here, if the straps get loose, the hooks can fall off the rail. When you can, run hook under the rail & hook on top of rail. Less chance of the hook falling off, if the strap loosens.

If your load is properly strapped down, the straps can't get loose. Folding the hooks around the rub rail tears up the ends of the straps and isn't how the straps were designed or tested.

If your load is properly strapped down, the straps can't get loose. Folding the hooks around the rub rail tears up the ends of the straps and isn't how the straps were designed or tested.
Maybe true, but when you been trucking 40 years, you see things happen. Loads shift, or crush down, crates, pallets, anything can break, & then the strap or chain is no longer tight.

What if your tire leaks down in the Jeep while towing? Properly strapped or not, the strap will get loose.

So then it doesn't matter if the hook was installed correctly or not, since the strap isn't doing its job.

Installing the hook incorrectly causes the strap to wear at the hook and about 3" up where the end of the hook rubs on it.

What if your tire leaks down in the Jeep while towing? Properly strapped or not, the strap will get loose.

We're talking about using flat hook straps on a rub rail. The straps you use on a vehicle have snaps on the hooks to prevent them from coming unhooked.

Sooo

Use snap ends on your straps. Properly strap down. And air your tires down to 0 so they won't leak down and let the straps get loose. It's especially important if you use chains without snaps on the ends.
:lol:
:D

No matter what somebody comes up with, there's always a scenario where puppies and nuns die. :flipoff2:

I've swapped all my straps out for ones with chains on both ends. It makes them more versatile in my opinion. I use axle straps on the axles still but in a pinch if one broke I could use the chain on the end of the strap. With the full length rub rail it lets me tie down different loads pretty easy too. I also cross my straps. Can't remember where I got these straps but they are made right here in NC and have served me well for the past few years I've been using them.
8zGBuVQnsldUwoQlhS9Wqw7pQybp_wZ38HfPwy3g2juH93DxfvK9JiIXWBVzJyW-ydX1udC5J-xo3RqbI3Y5NS2pxfGNgiD7hsdesdRYbuwniEeUF6MumG-5GmTR8Nfq4WdEpXhmLKnLdYkwUpgFXa6HMWk8TVdVkb5ffezLzaWfWfZ4qsyi6ZlDq6yX0NvWzYI7-J0aaXF2anM_gRTABM378lGp6tn2t1gQpfna2vg-r7CNo9Ax31rJ9lPpTWzQ1uay_4iHnEYamBsgAIGlcdESkLpEFhDTxf8zZJn2Y1yzxazMMc4WvsEQF6HzhKcI8oddRIAIfnevEr1GkhGerng5uEcY5CBe9xdNgjdge83EFjRZsQqQUpkfOnUG3ibOm3qOoQZxeush6RsUah_BLCyxl6n0mxBmFVjLYdKTohWM5xTNcM5A_OTpVJdHssdJSW16dgQRvHz_x9ME83voNzMvqpqc3rMHnBO65qp42mEn3gdtmi1VNbBoAkIMcI03VYXOKKfBgdzqFr0u11IAlfWnRT-mfX8jzIB9bTGrjrweefjOQuysVAMqDmXYSlPdT1v5SmX6nUA1jhWYluGb3WWQnaczgSqsPRE08AoS3Neq-SUJ=w1423-h1067-no

You can buy those chain ends separately, too. They'll have a choker hook on one end and a D ring on the other, with about 24" of chain in between. I've been meaning to pick up a few of those just to have other options available.

my $0.02 on tie downs...

I hate chains! I like webbing!

I cross my rear straps, and I use axle straps wrapped around my lower links, (yep they lay against each other), and I use straps that wrap around the axle housing in the front. (All my axle straps do have the sleeves over them). I tow in neutral...always. I always use 4 straps...That's a safety margin of one strap, each end! I leave my junk strapped down on the trailer, outside, 90 percent of the time. Two of my straps are over 7 years old. I have seen no fraying of my straps, other than where the ends have drug the ground! So they haven't degraded, much that I can see. I always pull em down tight! The only reason I have two new front straps is because I wanted the different style strap. (The ones I don't need separate axle straps!) So suffice it to say, I pretty much abuse my straps.

This...Quality 2" webbing is rated at 12000 lbs (hell the metal ratchet part is the weak link at 6000 lbs!) That's 24000 lbs of web strength, each end, holding a 5000 lb rig! (Or at least 12,000 Lb break strength each end, considering the ratchet mechanism rating!) These straps just are not going to fail. We might leave em loose. Me might pull em tight against a cutting edge. They are going to be really abused for us to break one! (Although, I did break one once. Thought I had both front straps off the Yellow Jeep and started backing up in 4 low. I forced it, thinking I was caught on the fender and it tore where it went thru the metal hook! I guess this would qualify as "really abused"):rolleyes:

These 2" web straps will last a loooong time if you dont cut them, They can even fuzz up and they will still be plenty enuff for keepin the rigs secure.

Oh and the one I broke? I tied it back though the hook end and ran it for over a year!

Back