Then... there’s this CLOWN!

These metrics were something for the race shop that I totally didn't understand to start with. We had certain clientele we wanted to target, we wanted to be said in the same breath as some of the elites. We'd post up our work, the 'non-elites' usually had no clue what they were looking at and they knew a guy that 'could do the exact same thing for 1/4 the cost'...and the 'elites' wouldn't give us the time of day because they didn't know who dafuq we were. Then you start studying what's getting shared in your target market, what's getting the most hits...we got more views and which lead to more phone calls after posting a video of getting headers cherry red on junk engine than we did a $30k engine build...we got more views doing burnouts and doughnuts than the actual race videos. In my mind, that made us relatable, something the average joe thought was cool and then did the free advertising for us. That video catches the attention of a legit customer, you've set the hook, then you reel them in with the fancy stuff. Once that model was identified (be a jackass to get attention, then dazzle the legit buyers), it made life a lot less stressful. Now as we post stuff, can damn near call what the metrics are going to tell you, that $20k in paint will get 800 views or that Ford blue painted hub cap will get 8,000 views (relatable) or that dumbass burnout in a shit box with an American flag will get 50,000 views, etc etc.
To prove your point.(like you needed proof)
WhistlinDiesel

Angry Grandpa was great. Lot of it was staged once the channel really took off. The stuff that wasn't was hilarious

YouTube money
You beat me to it!!

That is EXACTLY what it is.

I know an ass clown in my area thats made $$ doing stupid videos on YouTube. Hes made a couple grand sadly. Worst part, it's destruction of National Park property. I've reported his ass a few times.

Last edited:
At the end of the day...isn't today's youtube jackass just a direct descendent of the original Johnny Knoxville Jackass crew??? It's nothing new, they did it 20 years ago, we just have analytics and faster internet today. The Idiocracy impact has just increased the volume of these folks that we pay and find entertaining.

I can get down with the YT format though for some of that dumbassery. If they get paid on ad revenue from their engagement vs money from my actual wallet, no harm no foul. If I click on it and don't like it, nothing wasted other than a few seconds of my time.

There's a guy here local that goes by Gearrunner on youtube and he started doin product reviews of guns and accessories.HE was doing good w lots of views and followers.He was all the time getting free stuff to review and making some decent money doin it.Back in May/Jun the views were way down and the money was drying up.The short story is they stopped promoting his videos since his content contained guns.Since then he's moved on to other stuff and I haven't talked to him in a while to see if his views were back up.

I used to watch this fat kid who’s dad was on meds and would rage all the time and trash the house. He’d prank the dad and antagonize him to get him mad and show his ass. Their progression went from a shitty single wide trailer to a couple of very nice houses in about a 10 year span. Hell, the dad drove a 57 Chevy before it was all over with. Neither had a job other than YouTube. I think I read somewhere they raked in about $300,000 a year between them off of a few channels. The main channel would be the rage scene, the other channel would be the aftermath/cleanup, and another was a story/cooking segment. The old man died and the channel has pretty much died with him. He was what everyone wanted to see. Here’s just one thousands of rages if you have the time.
This is what's wrong with America today, being rich and stupid is prioritized over being wealthy and successful in some area that actually contributes to society. I guess ignorance really is bliss, particularly if it comes with enough money. I'm not sure why anyone would watch that.

Ryan’s Toy Review.

Google that phenomenon. Amazing the money that family has now all due to Starting on YouTube

This is what's wrong with America today, being rich and stupid is prioritized over being wealthy and successful in some area that actually contributes to society. I guess ignorance really is bliss, particularly if it comes with enough money. I'm not sure why anyone would watch that.
Quoting Gladiator........."are you not entertained"

Yep we are to that point. Just these days it doesn't take gruesome violence and the slaughter of wild caged animals. We take care of that with CG and cinema. I am not suggesting the government or politics drives the show.....Hell they don't have too society has chosen its selected distraction these days.

Back