Thoughts on Bronco vs K5?

Broncos up to 91 had lap belts only in the back, attached directly to the seat (which is fold/flip and removable, if heavy). 92-96 Broncos had the shoulder harness attached to the top and used Torx bolts to attach the top to the body. The seat was still flip/fold/removable, but the seatbelt stayed attached to the vehicle.

you know that one of these choices is a Ford, right? knowing this, why is this a choice? you will required to have your VIN number to buy a console light much less anything else. FUUUUCCCKKK a ford just for that reason.

me looking for a chevy 350 part

'I need a widget for a chevy'
parts guy' ok what year?
me 'doesn't matter, pick one'
ok heres a 1963 widget it will fit you 1993 small block.

ford guy, same conversation
my VIN is xxxxxxxx…. it was build in xxx plant, on a monday before 4pm under a full moon.
parts guy. heres 10 variations, bring back what doesn't fit

you know that one of these choices is a Ford, right? knowing this, why is this a choice? you will required to have your VIN number to buy a console light much less anything else. FUUUUCCCKKK a ford just for that reason.

me looking for a chevy 350 part

'I need a widget for a chevy'
parts guy' ok what year?
me 'doesn't matter, pick one'
ok heres a 1963 widget it will fit you 1993 small block.

ford guy, same conversation
my VIN is xxxxxxxx…. it was build in xxx plant, on a monday before 4pm under a full moon.
parts guy. heres 10 variations, bring back what doesn't fit

Apparently you haven't been to a Chevy dealer lately. needed a pair of starter bolts for a Vortec 350, this is in an industrial application, none of the Vatozones had what I needed (too long or short) .

Told counter guy I need a pair of starter bolts for a Vortec 350, even handed him one of the old ones.

he asks for VIN,

Me: Its not in a truck application, its in an Olympia Ice Resurfacer.....

Him: Whats that ?

Me: That machine they drive around the hockey rink at the Ice Capades....:D

Him: OH....That has a 350 in it ? Still need a VIN to know what year....

Me: '99 OBS Vortec 350 ( grasping from memory of when they were used )

10 minutes and $3 later i had the correct bolts

The dumb is growing

^ you can find bolts to fit a chevy in your sofa if you dig deep enough.

IMG_1841.PNG
I vote bronco. Used to think TTB was junk but that was until I got one!! Smoothest truck I've had in the woods! 93 1.5 rough country coils with camber bushings, taller spring perch in rear, little triming and clear 35s. Oh and you can do this
IMG_1741.PNG

I am leaning hard to the K5 side now, it was the comments about "parts" that really made me lean in that direction! I am finding "enough" K5 blazers in my price range (and lots of Broncos too) that it really looks like it will be a buyers market.

Even though I say I am not interested in "extreme" we all know where this leads... and next thing you know you are watching CUCV axles up in PA on Pirate4x4 for $1500, now $1200 and think to yourself that is not bad...

I am not against Bronco by any means, but the 4 leaf springs / ez lift options, CUCV swap, ready supply of 350s, trannies and tcases is leading me to Bow Tie. I actually like the 91-96 Bronco about as much as 89-91 K5, and the Ford side would match the 2015 Mustang GT at home.

Fingers crossed, step 1, trading the YJ for Subaru happens tomorrow. Step 2 is minor mods to the Subaru and then sell for cash (I hope.) Step 3 is then to actually shop for the K5 and the build begins!!

I will post back in here as we go / and unleash the CL hounds looking for links when I actually have the dollah dollah bills to spend!! Not afraid of a drive either so we will see what happens.

And no, I have not forgotten the 1 ton K5 from @pipeline for sale, if it is still available when I am ready to buy I am going to at least go look at it. I will have to do some SERIOUS 'make it pretty' work before it would be allowed in the driveway and pretty sure that it will not fit in the 7' garage as is!?

Sam

View attachment 244893 I vote bronco. Used to think TTB was junk but that was until I got one!! Smoothest truck I've had in the woods! 93 1.5 rough country coils with camber bushings, taller spring perch in rear, little triming and clear 35s. Oh and you can do thisView attachment 244894
If you do that with a TTB and don't have the springs retained properly, this could happen...

And no, I have not forgotten the 1 ton K5 from @pipeline for sale, if it is still available when I am ready to buy I am going to at least go look at it. I will have to do some SERIOUS 'make it pretty' work before it would be allowed in the driveway and pretty sure that it will not fit in the 7' garage as is!?

Sam

Yeah mines not the most pretty K5 but I guarantee you will get alot of :rockon: from everyone that sees it in your driveway because it will not fit in your garage unless you let the air out of the tires.

Ok it is never truly over until it is over, but I made a deposit today on a 1990 K5! Stocker, 170k miles, supposed to be good running truck at a fair price. Pictures are terrible, but expecting some body rot at the price point I am at and promised the wife it will be painted the very first thing! Could be putting lipstick on a pig but I suspect I can make it look good at 10' at least. When I figure out the pictures thing with the forum I will post up the few pics I have so far!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

View media item 5184View media item 5183View media item 5185View media item 5186
1990 K5, so it has the 350 TBI, automagic, stock suspension "custom lowering of rear bumper" (heh) and terrible pictures so far but I am going to assume the rocker is eat up with rust and over the wheel wells. I can kinda sorta see what looks like a hole under drivers door. Rear tail gate actually does not look rusted out, fingers crossed on that.

That is a good choice. If you are going to wheel it, then I would not spend more than 2 days and $200 on paint and bodywork.

Still thinking for "stage 1" at least, wheeling will be limited to the easier stuff at Uwharrie, GWNF, etc. Probably start looking for a set of 33x12.5 mud terrains and keep the ride height stock for now. Paint and body work will be my typical Rustoleum deal, bondo as needed, smooth it out and meet the minimum acceptable standard for wife's approval to be in the driveway! :)

For those that may not remember BUG (Big Ugly Geep) and that transformation!!

bug ure strap.jpg

bug poser shot.JPG

Back