Thoughts on wheel spacers

I thought thread locker was a no no because it makes it impossible to get a true torque reading when checking?

So permanent Loctite is the solution to improper fastener torque, and paint creep causes loss of fastener preload. Cool. ;)

I'm totally catching on to this arguing technique. :D
I'm going to side with the strawman. Accounting for human error is an appropriate dimension for a design matrix.

Shawn's right though, paint creep can cause problems with loss of preload if the paint is really thick.

The problem with this whole concept of red Loctite though is that all you can do is keep the nuts from moving, completely independently of anything else being done correctly. Can you still have a cyclic fatigue failure from an under-torque condition? Sure. But the nuts are permanently bonded and aren't moving, so at least the wheel won't fall off until all the studs break, and there is no way to check torque at all.

What about wheel scrub, and added stress on bearings? I always figured that to be the other issues. But i guess at only 1-1.5" its probably minor, and also depebds on ch the depth of the wheel backspacing.

What about wheel scrub, and added stress on bearings? I always figured that to be the other issues. But i guess at only 1-1.5" its probably minor, and also depebds on ch the depth of the wheel backspacing.

Brake reaction torque from big tires, wheel weight, and overturning moment (Mx) from big tires can also kill bearings.

Just asking for discussion. Don’t all dually trucks have a spacer in the front?

Just asking for discussion. Don’t all dually trucks have a spacer in the front?
Big spacer, had to run 3 inch spacers on the rear to match the track width

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
e597fc9c5f0f6df89b77e3835b8d340c.jpg

Red locktite is great. Blue is great for small parts( sub 3/8).

Red on everything else. Learned this from running swampers on the road, and not having to work on my junk on the trail.

If you want to wheel more and wrench less in the woods, red loctite is a good problem solver(preventer).

Comes easily apart with heat and impact wrench but won’t vibrate apart.

Why would oems use thread locking compounds on critical items if it weren’t worthwhile?

Stover nuts are great, but are also a pain to work with.

Not related to original post, just wanted to state a counterpoint to “red loctite is only necessary if you aren’t correctly tightening a fastener”.

Not to argue, but blue is generally intended for bolts on assemblies that need to be serviced, and is rated for use on fasteners up to 3/4" (LOCTITE 243) for some vibration resistance and hand tool removal without heat.

Red is intended for applications requiring vibration resistance and not requiring frequent disassembly.. really, how often do you need to remove the spacer? Documentation ( LOCTITE 263 ) suggests that it requires heat and impact to remove.

However, blue does not have the vibration resistance that red does, and the vibration resistance is what you're looking for on the spacer application.

Figured I'd throw that out there

I have ran them on a lot of my rigs. YJ, TJ, JK, chief. Never any lock tight , but torqued properly. Never any issues.

If you REALLY don't want them to come off....like, ever, get you some of the green loctite bearing & sleeve retainer. You wouldn't even need lug nuts any more.

Back