TJ/LJ lowering suspension

powerstrokin04

Ok Not that type of lowering lol.
So I'm wanting to change out the suspension on my new to me LJ.
Specs are..
-05 LJ Rubicon
-fabtechish suspension, 4 link front and rear. Fabtech cradle with link mounts, tube links, fabtech springs. Custom weld in adjustable spring upper mount with bump stops.
-Fox 2.0 shocks
-Tires are 37x13.5x20s
-1.25" wheel spacers.
-Psc assist steering
-Teraflex high steer steering arms and knuckle
-Adjustable trac bars
-Currie antirock sway in front..*not yet installed

I measured the springs and compared them to stock measurements. Looks like around 8" lift. I'd like to get around a 4" lift and use a high fender setup. Would like the springs to be softer and flexible. The tires are being replaced with 35s. This will be a weekend ride, so must be street driven some and able to hit mild trails.

So the question is, what all has to be changed with the suspension changes?

Driveshaft shortend? 4 links shortened? Adjust trac bar? Different shocks?

What say my nc4x4 brethren, is this worth changing? Thanks

Pic for reference
a4e3ae2f4ee8dee917d75237b0ec3299.jpg

I’d keep the 37s, ditch the fenders, smaller coils and bump stop before your tires rub. Driveshafts should be good.

I think most people run that setup anyways. I didn’t know they even sell 8” coils anymore :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my old tj, I ran roughly 2 inch springs, tube fenders and 35s with no problems.

Not sure what you would need to change out with your current setup though.....

Thanks for the replies. I'm still looking at what needs to be changed out for the smaller lift. How does a front dana 44s hold up to 37s. Oh and I got some more of those too..
7ba35742a162fe6ef138aa1d503acf22.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I'm still looking at what needs to be changed out for the smaller lift. How does a front dana 44s hold up to 37s. Oh and I got some more of those too..
7ba35742a162fe6ef138aa1d503acf22.jpg

Trussed, gussets, chromos, and a proper gear set up will hold 37s on a 44.

I doubt you'll have to do much other than adjust links to get pinion angle back to acceptable after dropping to 4" springs. Be careful with that steering, fairly certain they require at least 4" of lift to clear. if your bump stops don't get shorter (assuming it was done properly to begin with) you can keep the same shocks.

In because I'm jealous and want an LJ.

What brand should I look for in coil springs? Looking for smooth and flex. RE, currie, metalcloak

What brand should I look for in coil springs? Looking for smooth and flex. RE, currie, metalcloak

Shocks are important for the smooth ride. Fox IMO ride stiff. Synergy or RE springs are good quality. I’m running RE springs and Fox Factory shocks on my stretched TJ and I think it rides okay but could be a softer ride on the highway.

Bumping this up. @jeepinmatt any input on lowering my lj. What about Rancho shocks any count? Ive not bought shocks in a while.

Take some more pics of the clearance between the arms and frame, but you should be able to go down to about 3" lift without changing anything except shocks and springs. And if you're doing that, you should really just pony up and do coilovers :D

But some OME springs and shocks (or maybe you can keep your shocks depending on length) is a good starting point.

PS, I have some AEV highline fenders that I'm pretty sure are that exact color of your Jeep and some proper ARB rocker guards that have been trimmed to fit with the AEV fenders...

Take some more pics of the clearance between the arms and frame, but you should be able to go down to about 3" lift without changing anything except shocks and springs. And if you're doing that, you should really just pony up and do coilovers :D

But some OME springs and shocks (or maybe you can keep your shocks depending on length) is a good starting point.

PS, I have some AEV highline fenders that I'm pretty sure are that exact color of your Jeep and some proper ARB rocker guards that have been trimmed to fit with the AEV fenders...
0af225846141bc0ae0c9740f531943b2.jpg
b81080c0d9766af32babf9d612c25e9b.jpg
8a955c7375edc900dfa7832a9164a6be.jpg
6930754820a422f9cb288f66ca6d300d.jpg
b18627b6128a5a9069e75cd53cd43130.jpg
5de70a3ff8a92713db7793873766639e.jpg
37bb660abd93db5aa412ad309fe1159b.jpg

I found his old thread. They are the same color. Shot me some details.

There's definitely room to come down 3-4". I think if you go much more than that, you will have contact issues where the rear lowers mount to the frame. The Teraflex longarm kit on my TJ is similarly mounted and has some issues at less than 3" of lift.

So I'm looking at the currie savvy 4" springs. I was thinking about alignment. For a lift that size what are some numbers for caster, toe.

I keep mine set at 7* and 1/8” toe in.
Thanks. I need to record all the measurements before I lower it. I've ordered a set of 4" currie springs and a set of rancho rs5000x. Price was to good. I wanted to give them a try. Hopefully next week I can start. I've got a big shipment from Brad @Barnes 4wd that I'm waiting on. Then I'll take the jeep on its maiden voyage

Back