TJ Rubicon vs JK Rubicon?

shelby27604

I have always wanted an LJ Rubicon with a 6 speed.....when I had $8k to play with, they were $15k....now that I have $15k....they are $30k+ for a nice one!

Looking for a daily driver (not my only driver, but something that can highway and still do some light wheeling).

What are the thoughts on TJ Rubicons vs. JK Rubicons (with the 3.6l).
It seems like prices for both are surprisingly comparable. I have seen quite a few 3.6l JKUR's for the price of a TJ Rubicon.

I don't need 4 doors, it is just the wife, myself and the dog......BUT the dog very much enjoys having his windows......my last YJ didn't even have more than a bikini top and it served us fine, so I am probably overthinking the 2 door vs 4 door option.

I haven't driven the 3.6l in a Wrangler, drove a full sized Ram 1500 with one and it seemed upto the task. I have had enough 4.0l to know that would be my preference (284k on the current XJ).....but time marches on.

Thoughts, opinions, better options?

Opinions are like assholes….. get what you want if you don’t you’ll end up spending twice as much during the long run.

I think I could be happy in either, the rubi LJ would be nice, but at the end of the day it is going to be a toy that gets used and abused.....no sense in paying a premium for a spotless Jeep.

Haven't owned a jk yet but miss my 05 lj rubi. Lately I've been thinking of thinning the herd. Just too many projects but if I ever cut down to 1 jeep it will be another lj rubi or will be dropping that $$$ on one of my scramblers

I've seen a few LJ NON Rubicons for $12-18 K lately and I haven't seen any at $30k. I'm always looking because I like them too but am not in the market.

I've seen a few LJ NON Rubicons for $12-18 K lately and I haven't seen any at $30k. I'm always looking because I like them too but am not in the market.

I have seen quite a few non rubis at 25k. I know it’s not quite 30 but pretty close

Edit. At least somebody is asking 29 but it has tons

I have seen quite a few non rubis at 25k. I know it’s not quite 30 but pretty close

Edit. At least somebody is asking 29 but it has tons

Both are automatics, just like mine. I know the green one, he picked it up from California 2-3 years ago, with low mileage. Super clean Jeep.

68F92659-894E-4ECC-B8BB-EEBF499C4EC2.jpeg

**Not mine

I'm a Jeep purist at heart and prefer older models as a general rule. With that said, there hardly any comparison to similarly equipped TJ vs a late JK. The JK has more power, more room, wider and stronger axles, better all around IMO.
I work on a ton of both in stock and modded form. That's where my input comes from.

Last edited:
Both are automatics, just like mine. I know the green one, he picked it up from California 2-3 years ago, with low mileage. Super clean Jeep.
All nice jeeps....but it's gotta have 3 pedals.

Where are you finding 3.6 JK Rubicons for $15k or less? From what I've been seeing, early 3.8 JKU Sports with 200k+ are $10k. And 3.6 JKU Sports start around $20k.

Personally, I'd look for an LJ or a JK. @tobaccoroad4wd LJ Rubicon would be high on my list if I was in the market for an LJ.

I haven't found JK Rubicons or $15k, but it seems low 20's is very easy if you don't care about 100k+ miles.....and that seems to be what TJ/LJ Rubicons are going for (being listed at anyway). The real purpose of the thread was to hash out....all things being equal from those that have had / driven / wheeled one, the other, or both....where the chips fall opinion wise.

@jyaks .....thanks for the heads up....I have officially stolen the wifes facebook account to join a jeep group......

Any other leads on good deals you can post up here....or I will probably just start a proper wanted thread.

I’ve owned a 2 door JK and multiple TJ/LJs, manuals and autos. I’ve wheeled a 4 door JK.
Personally, I stuck with LJs. I like the way they drive on the street as well as how they feel on the trail.
Have you driven all of the above? Which felt better to you. If you’re more comfortable, you’ll be able to do more on/offroad, given all other aspects being the same.
Personal preference is absolutely an acceptable answer, but what’s the hang up on having a manual? LJ manuals are NSG-370s (read expensive as hell to rebuild/replace) I’d be willing to bet a nv3550 could be swapped in to an auto for relatively cheap, if you have to have a manual. (Also, in case it wasn’t terribly obvious, that was a shameless plug for you to come buy mine. 😎🤣)

I just don't like automatics.....not many transmissions out there that are cheap to rebuild/replace these days, typically automatics die a spectacular and immediate death and manuals just slowly slip away. I suppose if the NSG dies a spontaneous and unexpected death, it will probably get swapped for an AX15. I have had enough of them to appreciate the abuse they can take.

I have daily driven an MJ, YJ, and XJ. I have wheeled a rubicon TJ (maybe it was an LJ?).

My experience with JK's is minimal at best.....I am just such a sucker for 6 soldiers standing at attention vs. laying down. All of that being said, comfort and reliability is my biggest wants right now.....I know this rig will see more pavement time in the next year than it will mud, rocks, and trails.

The real purpose of the thread was to hash out....all things being equal from those that have had / driven / wheeled one, the other, or both....where the chips fall opinion wise
Then get the 3.6 JK Rubicon. They are ridiculously capable and great DD's. Just get a code reader to keep the dash lights from blinding you all the time! lol

I'll throw my $.02 in.. I figure with inflation it'll be worth $.015 by Friday.

I've got a 3.8 non-Rubicon JKU. I agree with @Jody Treadway You can't beat the JK for a solid wheeling platform. I got lucky with mine. I scored built axles with 5.13 gears and ARB lockers for a good price. That, a cheap 2.5" lift, and a set of 35s and I'm set for most anything. An LJ would have had me looking at significantly more geometry on the lift. I also think you will be better off in the future looking for parts for a JK platform.

Has everything you're looking for already, except the JK part.
LJ on tons

or for the same money, 2 door JK:
JK on tons
I dig the LJ, no access to Facebook right now, I wonder what that rig is using for a 5 speed and what still needs to be done (mentioned in the ad, but not elaborated on).
The JK seems like someone spent a lot of cash on a 3.8l/4spd auto combo. I wonder what HP/TQ that rig puts out with a blower? Normally people say "can do 80mph all day".....this one says 65mph.....if I work backwards from the lie-o-meter, something tells me that thing is a handful on the highway.

I dig the LJ, no access to Facebook right now, I wonder what that rig is using for a 5 speed and what still needs to be done (mentioned in the ad, but not elaborated on).
The JK seems like someone spent a lot of cash on a 3.8l/4spd auto combo. I wonder what HP/TQ that rig puts out with a blower? Normally people say "can do 80mph all day".....this one says 65mph.....if I work backwards from the lie-o-meter, something tells me that thing is a handful on the highway.
Just buy Kevin's TJ before I do :laughing:

I have a bunch of messages out to a couple of people (Kevin included).

Post up on this board and people just fall all over themselves to help you spend money!

All the leads and tips are really appreciated... looking forward to doors off driving again!

Just take the doors off of what you have already! money saved, you're welcome.
The wife has made it clear the XJ is to continue being a true 4 door vehicle. The remaining vehicles in the fleet don't work so great as door removal candidates......I suspect door removal on my TDI would significantly muffle the engine noise though.

Back