TJ Rubicon vs JK Rubicon?

I would buy a non- Rubicon Jeep and swap in tons and an Atlas.
What is the cost of a tons and atlas swap these days?

How much of a premium would you all put on two identical LJ's....one with a rubicon package, one without? Looking at two very similar rigs, it is very hard to figure out what stuff costs these days.....my preference is for the answer to be in 2020 realistic prices.....or hopefully 2023 "world has returned to its senses" prices.

$4kish in my opinion. But if your going bigger than about 35-36s, then not much because you will end up wanting to swap the axles anyway.

Last edited:
If you do all the work yourself, the axle swap is going to cost you $6k, and the Atlas will cost $3k. Round it up to $10k.

If you pay somebody else, double that.

How much of a premium would you all put on two identical LJ's....one with a rubicon package, one without? Looking at two very similar rigs, it is very hard to figure out what stuff costs these days.....my preference is for the answer to be in 2020 realistic prices.....or hopefully 2023 "world has returned to its senses" prices.
I dont understand the question. If you're talking about tons and atlas already done in two rigs, then what makes a Rubicon a Rubicon is gone so I wouldn't pay any premium for a sticker or a label.

If you're saying you're going to do the swap to tons and atlas, then again you're replacing the parts that make a Rubicon a Rubicon. Your only real advantage here would be the resale value of the 44s and np241 you pull will be higher than the 30/44 and np231 from the non Rubi.

I dont understand the question. If you're talking about tons and atlas already done in two rigs, then what makes a Rubicon a Rubicon is gone so I wouldn't pay any premium for a sticker or a label.

If you're saying you're going to do the swap to tons and atlas, then again you're replacing the parts that make a Rubicon a Rubicon. Your only real advantage here would be the resale value of the 44s and np241 you pull will be higher than the 30/44 and np231 from the non Rubi.
These were two different questions.....the root of both being, if I bought a base LJ.....what would it cost to make it as strong or stronger than a Rubicon.

Seems like it takes $10k to make a base LJ trail ready........$10k is also about what identical LJ / LJR's are separated by in the market.

These were two different questions.....the root of both being, if I bought a base LJ.....what would it cost to make it as strong or stronger than a Rubicon.

Seems like it takes $10k to make a base LJ trail ready........$10k is also about what identical LJ / LJR's are separated by in the market.
Ok, but tons and an atlas are far beyond a Rubicon. The rubi 44 is the same outer shafts, knuckles, brakes, etc as the 30.

If your plans are 35s or smaller, maybe 37s, get the Rubicon. I think I read you're wanting manual, so you'll appreciate the 4.1 case.

If your plans are 37s+ save the initial costs and build non rubi.

I can't believe a $10k difference though, certainly not worth that.

Ok, but tons and an atlas are far beyond a Rubicon. The rubi 44 is the same outer shafts, knuckles, brakes, etc as the 30.

If your plans are 35s or smaller, maybe 37s, get the Rubicon. I think I read you're wanting manual, so you'll appreciate the 4.1 case.

If your plans are 37s+ save the initial costs and build non rubi.

I can't believe a $10k difference though, certainly not worth that.
this, 10x

What is the cost of a tons and atlas swap these days?

Shawn's numbers are probably right on the money if you are going to do everything properly. Re-gear the ton axles, lockers, diff covers, full steering system with hydro assist, link brackets and trusses, joints, links, etc.

It seems like Rubicon LJ's bring BIG money. I personally can't see paying such a big difference. I would prefer to buy a non-Rubi and do a ton axle swap and 40's.

For a $10k price difference there is no way I would buy the Rubicon. I would think that you could buy a set of used Rubicon axles and TC for WAY less than that.

Last edited:
How much do a set of Rubicon axles and TC go for? I think I've seen the TC's usually bring about $1,000? Not sure on the axles.
Seems the TJ 241s have gotten more scarce lately. It makes sense - they're all 15 years old at this point. The few I've seen have been in the $2-3k range or sold pretty quick. As others have said, there's nothing particularly special about the TJ Rubicon axles. They have lockers, but they're not the best, they have all the same issues with shafts, steering, weak brackets, etc, that the non-Rubi axles do. I think the tons vs stock Rubi argument is a bit more relevant with the JKs, but an interesting thought exercise regardless.

Seems the TJ 241s have gotten more scarce lately. It makes sense - they're all 15 years old at this point. The few I've seen have been in the $2-3k range or sold pretty quick.
That's crazy considering a standard Atlas can be bought for around $3k. Supply and demand I guess.

I haven't dug too deep, but the few 241OR cases I have seen have all been $2k+ (or broken in half for $800)
TJ rubi axles are rare to see, but most seem to think they are $2k+ items.

In reality most people won’t take on building axles and installing an atlas themselves. On the other hand a good amount of people would be willing to swap in some rubicon axles and a TC themselves which makes it easier on the wallet. In my mind to pay someone worth paying for a ton swap/build and an atlas swap you’re looking at close to $20k turnkey. Swapping in Rubicon axels and TC yourself you’re going to be in the $5-7k range IMO unless you build the axles so add another $1500-$1800 on each end.

I’ve got a LJ that’s similar to what you’re looking at. Dana “489s” front and rear from ECGS. Both are 35-spline with Ox-air actuated lockers, geared 5.13, and the front axle is running RCV shafts. Suspension is a 4” Savvy/Currie Lift and the TC is an Atlas 4.3:1.
On 35” tires it’ll run 92 mph with one hand on the steering wheel.

With All that said, If I had to daily and weekend wheel one, I’d take the wife’s JK rubicon hands down. Love the LJ. She’s sweet. But the JK rubicon is just a complete package…great road manners and unbelievably capable.

-H

Last edited:
Back