TJ to JK the Medication build

Jason W.

Dysfunctional Veteran
I had been debating for a long time on building a Jk, I was fairly happy with my 06 TJ rubicon but was really digging the new Jk,s. I had kept putting if off mainly due to the lack of power with the 3.8 and honestly was hoping for a diesel to come out, after the 3.6 came out, I went and test drove one, big mistake there, I was blown away by the power and how well it drove. Soon after I found the one I wanted.

The whole purpose behind this Jeep was to do well at everything, rock, trail,and street. I know you can not have the best of everything so I decided to make a well balanced rig that can tackle the trail and still get home at 70 mph.

When I put this one together my main focus was to be tough and reliable, I do not have a tow rig and have no desire for one.

Specs' 2013 jk 2dr rubicon
6 spd manual, 4.10 gears , 4.1 t case, electric sway bar disconect and electric lockers.
This is the most bare bones rubicon available, no power anything, soft top, it has the alpine stereo with sub standard, and a built in power converter

IMG_0787.JPG
IMG_0788.JPG
IMG_0786.JPG

Skid plates
I decided that I wanted the Jeep skided front to rear as to have full protection, It adds a little weight but helps ensure Im able to get home at the end of the day.
Trans and oil pan skid are high rock 4x4, fit very well and the qaulity seems to be good.
Sway bar disconect skid plate is a skid row offroad, with research I found this one to fit well with the bumpers that I chose.
Evaporator skid ia a Moore offroad, very beefy with countoured edges to keep it from getting hung up.
Rear axle skid is an AEV, It has a smooth 1/4 inch thick surface from above the pinioun to snug to the bottom of the center section, will give me a good sliding surface and gaurd the pinioun.
Front control arm skid are form skid row, 1/4 inch thick and can take a good hit without deforming the control arm bracket.
Rear control arm skids/brackets are 1/4 thick and raise the shocks about 1 inch, witch helps being that the jk bracket hang down a bit.

Bumpers
The front bumper is a Warn stubby, I think it gives good protection without sacrificing aproach angles, I was also able to keep my factory fog lights.
The rear bumper is a smitty built, I chose it for the extra corner protection, and it came with a hitch, I was a little apprehensive about getting the smitty but the qaulity seems to be good.

Theres more money in armor on that thing than my entire 4Runner :flipoff2: Looks good though Jason, look forward to seeing this in action.

Drivetrain
I am going to keep the drivetrain mods to the most essential things, the gearing is great, and even with the 34,s it rolls down the highway at 70 in 6th gear with the cruise on and doesnt hesitate(curently getting 17mpg) I used to get around 13 in my 06.
Front axle is sleeved and gusseted on the inner c,s, I am going to keep a close eye on the ball joints as time goes on , but on a 34 inch tire I believe they will last a long time.
Currently still has the 30 spline inner and 32 spline stub facotry shafts, I am going to upgrade to chromos when the money allows.
Rear axle is going to stay just like it is, I beleive it is plenty strong enough with the 32 spline shafts.

Suspension, tires, wheels,

The jeep actually has 0 lift on it, just a 3/4 inch spacer for leveling after the heavy winch and bumper.
The tire clearance is gained through the bushwacker flat flares.
I am keeping the factory shocks, they are nitrogen and I have been told they are made by either billstien or old man emu, either way, they ride well and seem very responsive.

The wheels are the 13 rubicon factory wheels, I like the design, and being a 7.5 inch wide wheel they are a great poor mans bead lock. i am running 1.5 inch spidertrax spacers that are hub and wheel centric( they are touqed with red locktite and have been rechecked since insatll.

I decided to go with a 295 70-17 tire, I was looking at a few different brans and decided on the nitto,s , so far I am very pleased, they arent too loud, have good siping and a 3 ply sidewall, from what reveiws I found they should last a long time as well. These measure in right at a 34, they fit snug in the wheel wells and clear just right at full flex.

Exhaust

I just did not like the big ol trash can looking muffler in the back and I like to hear my engine running.
I decided on the dynomax rockcrawler exhaust and I am very happy with it, It doesnt have that flowmaster droan on the high way and has a nice low rumble at low rpm,s, at high rpm it is loud and is a little high pitched.

Modifications still to come
I am going to go to either a synergy chromo tie rod or a full aluminum tie rod, I will eventually go to chromo front axle shafts, and as we all know the work is never really done!

I named this Jeep Medication for a very simple reason, it is my stress release, I have delt with problems after Iraq and so on. I got back into wheeling in 05 , this has transformed into my release from whatever is bothering me. Wheeling is a very big part of my life, I spend a lot of time in the woods and wouldnt have it any other way. I have made the best freinds and met awesome people over the years doing it. Money,s spent on the Jeep are well worth while, anyhow since getting back into wheeling I have totally dropped any and all medications for associated conditions that i have delt with, best medication I have ever had has a seven slot grill.

Big thanks to BUCKEYE PERFORMANCE , Chris did my axle sleeve and gusset and helped me out getting a lot of the skids on, Chris is a top notch guy!

Last edited:
Looking good bro. Go with the aluminum tie rod, you will not regret it.

Theres more money in armor on that thing than my entire 4Runner :flipoff2: Looks good though Jason, look forward to seeing this in action.

I has definetly come down to scraping pennies to get the Jeep ready for spring, I know it seems like alot but I dont have a tow rig, trailer, or any of the other cost,s to go along with it. My fuel cost to go wheeling is a lot less than hauling one. Of course there are payments involved, but this is the only vehicle I own. I dont have any other big time hobies to blow money on, cant afford anything else!

Last edited:
Good work Jason! I have seen this one in person and it is done very well!

Looks great man. I love that color! A bunch of us in the Lake Norman Crawlers have JKs. Bring it out to an Eat and Greet sometime or meet us on the trail (Harlan and Jeep Beach are both planned for April).

I local company, Carolina Metal Masters, in Denver, makes an aluminum tie rod and some other cool parts for JKs. Check them out.

Looks great man. I love that color! A bunch of us in the Lake Norman Crawlers have JKs. Bring it out to an Eat and Greet sometime or meet us on the trail (Harlan and Jeep Beach are both planned for April).

Thanks for the invite! Got a harlan ride in april as well!

Really nice JK. I always liked your TJ. What did you do with it?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Wow, looks nice... maybe too nice... I would be scared of hurting that thing on the trail :D

Looks good man. Can't wait to wheel again.

Really nice JK. I always liked your TJ. What did you do with it?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

I got a decent price for it so I traded it, Its still at steve white, alot of the goodies got took off before I let it go, there wanting a fortune for it, 18,000 I believe

Back