too competitive?

pheery

do you ever feel like aspects of this sport are too competitive?

like the guy who says he crawled this or that. or the guys who takes shots at your stuff, or your work. or the constant one upper. we have all been around this guy, mr negative, and to me these people drain the fun out of it.

i realize this sounds bitchy, but am i the only one who picks up on this. i realize we spend cash on things and want to do well when we wheel, but isn't the point to just be out there and have a good time. that is what i look forward to when i wheel, a good time bullshitting and being outside.

really just provoking conversation....

I concur.

I am probably the most competitive person I have ever met. I want to beat everyone at everything. I can not let my 6 year old win a game of Hungry Hippos, buuuut that beng said.

When I am wheeling, fishing, or hunting (pretty much my ONLY 3 recreation activities) I really couldnt care less about competing.

Yeah your rig is more capable than mine.
Yes it will do a line mine wont.
But know what, I have just as much fun as you, and a lot less coin invested.
And wont cry nearly as long when it flops.
Same goes with the others. I hate these guys on the lake that have to brag about how fast their boat is, or how mucch they spent on the latest rod/reel combo.

Hell my grandad caught more fish on cane poles than I ever will with any ultra graphite composite kevlar lined set up.

<<< Doesn't give a shit what people say or think. Problem solved

I think that it is the nature of all sports to want to do better than the other guy/girl, but some people take it too far.
I had a guy come up to me and said he could run circles around on the trail in his J10 becuse it had a "401". and he was cutting on me for having a SBC in my J10. Now I could care less if he could or not but just the fact that he took the time to say that bothered me a little. I did not know this guy and those were the first words out of his mouth when I meant him.

Then he drove his smoking rust bucket 401 power J10 Away

Competive if you don't know the person talking junk.
If you do know them, it's just fun to give each other a hard time. For example, everytime Greg's buggy makes a line I can't, I'm sure to tell him that I hate it:flipoff2: .
I'm kinda guilty of this myself. I've spent alot of money redoing my jeep, and I want it to perform as well as I can drive it. I have to constantly remind myself that it's not a buggy.

I think amongst certain groups of people it can become overly competitive. I try to avoid those groups whenever I can. I don't really care about the biggest obstacle or flopping or any of that. I am just out to have a good time, unwind from real life, and forget about everything except for the 10 feet in front of me to the real estate right beneath me.

I do not enjoy sh1t talking about other people's rigs because they are only so big, runnin X size tire, etc. Joking around is ok, but being serious about it is not. We all have our own comfort levels and so much money. Nobody outside of the wheeling community cares about your axles or tires anyway nor will it help you land you a promotion or a new job.

Enjoy what you have and have fun at your own level setting your own pace.

Enjoy what you have and have fun at your own level setting your own pace.
now thats a perfect statement for this topic :beer:

I think there's a big difference between competitive, and the one-upper.

You see plenty of friendly competitive guys on the trail, at the playground, etc.. A bit of shit-talking goes hand-in-hand with it..

The one-upper is usually just called a dick. I'll admit in the past (couple of years ago) to being the one to find flaws in other people's builds not to try and be helpful, but just to find the flaws.. I'd like to think I've changed 180° - I noticed you do have alot more fun, and people seem to enjoy being around you more, too.

But at the end of the day, even a bad day of wheeling (full of denied attempts and parts breakage) still beats being at the office.

Doesn't give a shit what people say or think. Problem solved

No doubt, if you're happy and you aren't bothering anybody, then fawkem. Theres always gonna be somebody like that whether it be your landscape, rig, race car, toolbox, computer, or whatever. Just the way some people are.

Come on man....your buggy is nice...Austin isn't trying to one up you in the wide glide.:flipoff2:

I understand what ya mean though, I talk chit among friends but they are suppose to know I could care less. Watching the one upper is the fun part, lots of effort usually to be a confirmed hater. I like to wheel so I poke and prod the peeps I go with to come on. Heck , we always have fun even when somebody "just wants to go home"..lol

I used to beat around the woods in a $2000 rig...it made me want a $5000 rig and so on. You work and work to get past one spot in your $2000 rig and the guy in the 5k rig cruises on by. The bug will really bite you when you end up on a trail that is way beyond the limits of your rig and other people are again ,cruising on through. My wife enjoys the hobby and it seems to satisfy my adrenaline problem. This is way safer than the racing cars,motorcycles, hell even skiing the double diamonds out west. If you find something that you can do with your wife,gf, whatever then why not really get into it. I like riding the rougher type trails for the natural "oh shit I could die" type high I get from it. If it wasn't this hobby it would be something else and generaly those type of extreme hobbies aren't cheap. The hanging out with friends is as enjoyable to me as any of the trail riding, how can anyone hang out with JT and not laugh 90% of the time? That type stuff you can't put a price on.

my alternate post was ..."you and doughball switch meds???" with your bling ass buggy?

touche:lol:

i am not aiming this at anyone, i just have met people and had them say to me "i am getting out of this, people are too serious, too competitive". just wondering if other people experienced that.

i have a good group to ride with, i enjoy wheeling every time i go, and look forward to it, so i can't complain at all. i was really just wondering about others experiences.

I used to have carpet in my cj and maaaan I used to catch hell...

I think the first meet and greet I went to in Charlotte with the old carolina rock shop crew back in 2000 was the first time someone talked about my cj carpet....LOL

Some guy in a white TJ really didn't like the carpet in it and surely had to ask me why do you have carpet in the jeep??!!

He was driving with just a bikini top in the rain in January. There might of even been ice on the jeep. LOL :rolleyes:

That was back when my jeep was super clean with stock axles 35's and TJ flares.

There's no cure for stupid people...they were just jealous of my nice cj with carpet! :D

Slow day at Line-X...I'll play...

I think amongst certain groups of people it can become overly competitive.I try to avoid those groups whenever I can. I don't really care about the biggest obstacle or flopping or any of that. I am just out to have a good time...
/\
Not trying to pick on you or anything...alot of people think that...they just wanna ride...

I tend to like to wheel in these groups though...tends to make for some exciting action...granted we often spend time on the trail fixing broken stuff because someone didn't want to get 'beat' by not making the line. That's ok when it's something cool that broke...it's not ok when you snap your Dana 35 rear shaft because you didn't know when to give up.

My problem is those that pin accomplishments over obstacles and such on the rig that a person is driving instead of the driver him/herself. I hate hearing…”Well, if I had that rig, I could make that too.”…and stuff to that concern.

If it’s locked and will hold together for some period of time I (and many people I know) would be right behind the most bad-ass buggy on the trail shooting the same lines.

I guess it boils down to “Shut up and drive.” That would take care of a lot of the problem some have with the competitive smack talking.

Oh and ‘spotters’… You are not needed until you are asked for…until then, stand back and let drive… :flipoff2:

Maybe one day I'll actually go wheeling again and I'll bet you 20 bucks I can make it up that and you can't...I'll even go first...:flipoff2:

I like being out with good, fun people, although they're sometimes hard to find. When I'm around bigger, badder rigs I constantly think about building mine up. Then I get home and think, my junk did pretty good on a 44/9" and 38's, I really don't need to go bigger its just a neverending(sometimes pointless) want that I think I'll be able to deal with.
I think its nice to see friendly competition between friends. Someone builds a nice buggy and then everyone builds their junk to catch up to its capability.
Someone buys a bitchin tow rig........

and I'll just call shotgun:flipoff2: and drive my simple rig now and then.

I"m building mine to do double duty, street and trail.
If I get on the trail and we come to an obstacle that I can't get over, then fine. I'll go around. If the next guy in line can make it, that's fine, too.
That's not going to cause me to add some more lift, bigger tires, or whatever just so I can get over the same things my buddy can.
If someone wants to build their Jeep or truck mostly for the street, and to look good, that's okay with me. I'm not going to rag them (much) for not wanting to go off road.
Build it for what you want to do, make no apologies.

I have as much fun trying and making it as I do trying and then pulling cable. I don't get mad either way.
I have taken a ration of $hit over the years for it from some, but I don't let it bother me.
Some of the most fun I have had on a trail is in a stock or near stock vehicle and just plodding along.
I know how big my dick is or isn't, I don't need to compare it to anyone else's.

Slow day at Line-X...I'll play...

/\
Not trying to pick on you or anything...alot of people think that...they just wanna ride...

I tend to like to wheel in these groups though...tends to make for some exciting action...granted we often spend time on the trail fixing broken stuff because someone didn't want to get 'beat' by not making the line. That's ok when it's something cool that broke...it's not ok when you snap your Dana 35 rear shaft because you didn't know when to give up.

That isn't what I have a problem with. I have wheeled with groups that have literally harangued other people because of what they wheel or what they won't try. Good natured ribbing is part of the experience IMHO. And to be honest, when I see someone do something hard I want to do it too. I am speaking more of the loud mouth breathers that somehow think that berating a person for their equipment or lack of ambition is somehow ok. It wasn't all that funny in kindergarten and I don't have much of a different view of it today.

That isn't what I have a problem with. I have wheeled with groups that have literally harangued other people because of what they wheel or what they won't try. Good natured ribbing is part of the experience IMHO. And to be honest, when I see someone do something hard I want to do it too. I am speaking more of the loud mouth breathers that somehow think that berating a person for their equipment or lack of ambition is somehow ok. It wasn't all that funny in kindergarten and I don't have much of a different view of it today.

I agree!

Now I'm going to throw my flame suit on here but....

I partially blame Pirate for this attitude. 10 years ago wheelers were just buddies that wanted to trail ride, have a good time, and enjoy the great outdoors. You lifted, locked, and wheeled your rig whatever kind it was. Now, just because a person has D60's or a buggy they are somehow holier than thou, and they have the right to belittle the rest of us. They take the tough guy attitude they find online and try to apply it to the real world to make themselves seem cool.

I'm not knocking Pirate, or saying that site itself is to blame, because it serves it's purpose. But I think there are those who misunderstand the insults and flaming that is blogged on a hard core only website. They accept that attitude as more than just trying to maintain a standard on a website and try to apply that attitude to the real world of wheeling where it doesn't belong.

Just my $0.02 anyway.....

I partially blame Pirate for this attitude. 10 years ago wheelers were just buddies that wanted to trail ride, have a good time, and enjoy the great outdoors. You lifted, locked, and wheeled your rig whatever kind it was. Now, just because a person has D60's or a buggy they are somehow holier than thou, and they have the right to belittle the rest of us. They take the tough guy attitude they find online and try to apply it to the real world to make themselves seem cool.

To me, this is dead on. I cannot stand that site because of these things. People have different personas depending on which site they are on, and Pirate tends to bring out the worst.

I've seen 'this' happen over and over. I've gotten caught up in it and like to think I've taken the high road now. I really enjoy seeing everyones rigs. I agree w/ the pirate4x4.com comments but only to the point that if someone doesn't know where they are headed its easy to latch onto that attitude.

All that said ive learned over the years that the web in and of itself contributes the most to causing this attitude. I know for fact that most people are NOT the same as you would have guessed from their web persona and therefor i make every attempt not to judge someone based on their web likeness..

Back