Too old to work?

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
Power is helluva thing to give up. But I'm gonna bet there's not that much work going on anymore...couple weeks a year, shape the future of the country and get paid a healthy wage to do it.
Any of them could quit tomorrow and they still get their paycheck and insurance for life, even Kavanaugh

Get it right, get it tight... god willing I’ll be able to work till I die and everyone can kiss my ass when I’m slower and more stubborn than I already am! Haha

I used to think the same thing and to a certain extent still do; however, once you get to that age you've accumulated a vast amount of experience and THAT is how you get PAID. Those latter years are the biggest earning years of your life. Yea, you could retire and basically just coast the rest of your life, or you could sit back, give your opinion on everything and tell other ppl how to do their jobs and make the most you've likely made your entire life.

Last edited:
Geezus...some of you guys are way more motivated than I am, apparently. The second my retirement hits my number...I’m done. I could be mid-business call/conversation/whatever, I’ll stop what I’m doing, without saying a word and just walk out, start retirement and never be heard from again.

85 and still working? WTF? Go retire and play bingo. No fawking way I am going to still be working at 85 yrs old.
If you don't like your job , you wouldn't understand. I doubt I'll ever retire. I like coming to work. I like feeling productive. I feel great after a good days work. I've watched so many people retire and after 2-3 years say they wished they hadn't. I can't imagine going to work for years with the thoughts of retirement on my mind, means you're doing the wrong thing. Purely my opinion as I feel fortunate to like my work.

Agree with @BIGWOODY

I really enjoy my job. Most days don’t even feel like work. I do business with some awesome people, and the knowledge I’m gaining could easily lead to a consulting job later or start my own gig. But I do have days where engineers and idiots drive me insane!

Realistically, I don’t know that I would fully retire and would probably need to find something I enjoy doing just to get some health insurance. I often joke that I will go work for Oreillys just so I can actually offer some good knowledgeable customer service and not ask if it’s 4x4 when they just need a turn signal bulb.

I get where you guys are coming from...I truly do. I love all the work I do as well...I just much prefer being able to do whatever the f**k I want, when I want. There was a time in my 20's when I'd burn my 8 weeks vacation all at once...spend 2 weeks at the OBX, spend 2 weeks in Florida, head somewhere cold for snowmobiling for a week, tinker/wrench on stuff around the house. Then the 5 months I took off from work to raise my daughter earlier this year, make breakfast...watch some Daniel Tiger...take her to the golf course...run up and down aisles at Harris Teeter to make her laugh...take her to the property to put up new stands...etc etc. I can't say I was ever once bored or didn't have something to do in either scenario, and that's the goal, mine at least...get back to that 100% of the time.

I get where you guys are coming from...I truly do. I love all the work I do as well...I just much prefer being able to do whatever the f**k I want, when I want.
I do that now... benefits of being the owner. But I feel guilty if I'm away for more than a few days. I can come and go as I want, but I don't. I'm usually the first person here and the last person to leave everyday. I have about zero stress and no one to answer to, I'm sure all this plays a role in my feelings about work. Thankfully years ago my dad told me to go do what I like and the money would find me, I'm far from wealthy but I'm as comfortable as I need to be.

Last edited:
There are easily 100 things I would rather be doing than stuck at work. I will be retiring as soon as I feel financial set. Heck, I would rather be cutting down those 40+ pine trees, LOL.

To look at this in a different perspective, sort of: what if this was your employer? Your boss.
Someone that old and with that much wisdom is a pure gold mine for anyone looking to be a master of the trade.
My boss for example, Mr Stuyck who's in his mid 60s will probably wait forever before he finally retires and hands business over. There will be a metric shit ton of people, including myself completely devastated when this happens. Not that his son couldn't take the position and fly, but there are countless people that consider Stuyck to be a genius, and he can show paperwork proving it.
If a person was born to do something then they really will shine forever.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg treated for pancreatic cancer

This could get interesting. Pancreatic cancer is no joke, and most cases move pretty quickly and end fatally within a couple of years at most.

So lets say RBG were to finally kick over / retire in, say, 12 months. Before the election.
Will republicans be saying, "We should wait for a new nominee until the election is over, so the people can decide" like they did last time?
(somehow I doubt it)

(EDIT - I just realized his was not a Garage post as I'd thought. If deemed too political, please move as necessary)

Read today that this is her second go around with pancreatic cancer

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Kinda like Magic Johnson and AIDS...I always figure with enough power/money a person can and will outlive an average Joe with the same affliction.

Back