Tow rig tire discussion

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
So currently I have some knock off BFG A/T tread pattern tires on my tow rig. They have ridden well on the road, and do ok in the snow, but you get them in any kind of wet field, and they cake up and spin in no time. What are some options for a little more aggressive tread pattern but still in a load range E tire?

Whatever you do stay away from the BFG AT tires! Shit tires for a load range E. they lasted like 18k miles on my F350 before belts separated and tread was worn slap out. No tread warranty on the BFG tires.

I replaced them with Cooper AT3 and have been very pleased. I'm sure their more aggressive tires would be just as impressive and likely suit your needs for more aggressive pattern.

Nitro Terra grappler @ 33k (not the new G2 which apparently lasts a lot longer)

20170129_105737.jpg

Cooper - ST Maxx or AT3
Nitto - Terra Grappler
Toyo - AT2 or RT

I've been wanting the ST Maxx for a while, but I'd run any of those. The newer Toyo AT2 looks to be a little more aggressive than their first design and I believe they have a new tire out that is a load range F.

Rocking toyo at2 on my dodge 2500 and love em. They performed awesome in the snow and have plenty of tread left after about 40k on them. Also had cooper at3 on my last dodge 2500 and they also performed very well on and off the road

Whatever you do stay away from the BFG AT tires! Shit tires for a load range E. they lasted like 18k miles on my F350 before belts separated and tread was worn slap out. No tread warranty on the BFG tires.

I replaced them with Cooper AT3 and have been very pleased. I'm sure their more aggressive tires would be just as impressive and likely suit your needs for more aggressive pattern.

Odd, I have had very good results with BFG AT KO tires.

I'm in the same boat. I have the BFG Ko2's on my Ram currently and they work good for dd'ing and towing my Jeep. My problem with them is when I put my boat on the back of the truck I can feel the sidewalls moving around on me. The other problem is tread wear. They have about 14k on them and they probably only have another 10 k left.

I'm currently looking at Toyo AT2's, Toyo Rt's, Nitto g2's, or ridge grapplers. My buddy is running Cooper STT pros and is trying to talk me into them but I'm not really wanting a noisy tire.

My trail grapplers on my dodge have almost 40k miles on them and still have life left. I don't have an issue with sidewall flex. I have never noticed any road noise from my tires. I can cruise with the Windows down and not notice them. Only complaint is in the last 10k miles they cupped bad even with regular rotations. I have read it is a common thing with them.
I am thinking of trying the cooper stt pros next.

I'm running toyo rt's on my tundra, I know is a lighter truck then some mentioned. I like them, have around 20k on them, still quiet and ride good. I would buy them again.

Are yall talking about the STT Pro or the ST Maxx? The STT Pro is an M/T whereas the ST Maxx is kind of a crossover all terrain.

@YotaOnRocks @ABadJeeper

I'm planning to run the stt pro. It seems comparable to my trail grapplers and gets good reviews.

Ahh, gotcha. I've had the older STTs on my SAS Silverado for a while and I love them...naturally they quit making them. They make the new STTs in 37s though, so I'm good. The Mastercrafts are also made in a 37 and look closer to the old style.

I've got 35k on them and they're still pretty meaty. I've been very pleased with them! If the new ones are on par, you'll be happy with them.

2500 ram with Toyo Rt's here with 48k miles on them currently will easily go to 55 or 60k. No complaints what so ever I would definitely buy them again. Truck had terra grapplers when i got it and was not impressed with traction or wear, in their defense they were only 8 ply. The nitto ridge grapplers have caught my eye, will have to wait and see what mileage people get out of them.

Bumping this up as I still haven't pulled the trigger on tires, and the ATs brought the suck in the mud this weekend on a simple logging road. I really like the looks of the Cooper STT Pros, anyone have a recommendation on those?

I just put the Toyo AT2s "Extremes" on my truck a couple weeks ago.

They have a new tread design that looks more aggressive and works very well in slick mud. At the expense of a little more road noise (nothing unbearable - but at 75mph with the radio off you can pick up a road noise sound) and a 60,000 tread life warranty. Im only 4,000 miles in so I cant speak to much more than initial impression but they ride well.

Still Loving my AT2 Toyos
I've put about 12k on them with no noticeable wear. Many of those miles have been towing between 9-12k pounds too.

Bumping this up as I still haven't pulled the trigger on tires, and the ATs brought the suck in the mud this weekend on a simple logging road. I really like the looks of the Cooper STT Pros, anyone have a recommendation on those?
Everybody seems to like the stt pros but they seem to be the same price if not higher than toyos or nittos. Imho I would rather have toyos or nittos

16/32nds left with 16000 miles on them. I'm not easy on tires either, drive on lots of gravel roads pulling trailers most of the time. I don't run tires to they're bald but I expect to get much more out of them.
IMG_1936.PNG

16/32nds left with 16000 miles on them. I'm not easy on tires either, drive on lots of gravel roads pulling trailers most of the time. I don't run tires to they're bald but I expect to get much more out of them.View attachment 251540

So you are saying they have worn too fast?

I only put 5k on the truck in a year so that kind of wear should give me at keast six years

Last edited:
Back