Track bar ? on YJ

hunterdan

Just traded for a new toy. 87 YJ with 4.2. It has 315 tires and a body / suspension lift. I don't know the size lift or how to tell.
Anyway it runs straight down I-40 at 70mph but on curves it feels like it's floating/zig zagging and is hard to keep on road. It has no sway bars or Trac bars. I'm thinking I need to install an adjustable track bar on front at least. From driving behind jeep I can see that front axle is about 1-2" skewed to driver's side.
I see the original track bar bracket drivers side on frame. There is no bracket on passenger side axle. Previous owner mentioned it has Dana 44 front and rear. Do I just install a bolt on bracket for track bar? Also will I need to install drop pitman arm for steering? Any help appreciated. I can ad more pics if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_20210209_103640.jpg
    IMG_20210209_103640.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20210209_103501.jpg
    IMG_20210209_103501.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_20210209_103415.jpg
    IMG_20210209_103415.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20210209_103321.jpg
    IMG_20210209_103321.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_20210206_135213.jpg
    IMG_20210206_135213.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 269
Everyone I’ve know with a YJ has removed the TB but it will maintain a sway bar either front or rear depending on packaging.
I think my problem is lateral movement of the axle. I know that leaf springs will help but track bar is what I need for help with lateral movement...right?

Yes but as I understand it leaf spring articulation is limited by the TB. What’s the condition of bushing and such? May be better served to use urethane bushings. Of course being such a short WB vehicle it will be “squiggly” in corners and curves but the nature of its footprint. Going from a pickup to my GC as a DD has made me remember why I got away from a Jeep DD in the years ago lol

I never ran a track bar on any of my leave spring Jeeps, or sway bars either. It appears you have waggy 44's. If so the rear axle is 3" narrower than the front axle and may be what you are seeing? With the leaf springs, once bolted, the only thing that would cause the axle to be off centered would be would be if the spring pads were mount that way. I would say as Skyhigh did, make sure all of your bushings are good and everything is tightened up.

Thanks. I do see that drivers tie rod end is bad so that may be adding to the looseness. I'm not really needing extra flex as I just do a little trail riding and Creek crossing on my property. I'd like to add a track bar since it's dangerous as of now and wife wants to drive it. I don't know much about suspension or axles but I know I need a axle bracket for track bar. Do I need to weld or can I bolt one on ? If someone did an axle swap then do some Dana 44's not have a track bar mount?

Yes but as I understand it leaf spring articulation is limited by the TB. What’s the condition of bushing and such? May be better served to use urethane bushings. Of course being such a short WB vehicle it will be “squiggly” in corners and curves but the nature of its footprint. Going from a pickup to my GC as a DD has made me remember why I got away from a Jeep DD in the years ago lol

I never ran a track bar on any of my leave spring Jeeps, or sway bars either. It appears you have waggy 44's. If so the rear axle is 3" narrower than the front axle and may be what you are seeing? With the leaf springs, once bolted, the only thing that would cause the axle to be off centered would be would be if the spring pads were mount that way. I would say as Skyhigh did, make sure all of your bushings are good and everything is tightened up.
I was typing when you replied. Thanks for the info. I'll look at all bushings and such and go from there. If I do have wagoneer axle in get do people ad spacers to the back to get things online?

You don't need a track bar. Lay under the vehicle and have your wife saw the steering wheel back and forth hard while you watch for movement. Look at the tie rods, drag link, ball joints, and wheel bearings.

Last edited:
Anyone else think those front shackles look a little odd? Probably unrelated to your “tracking” issue but it might be worth sorting out :)

Anyone else think those front shackles look a little odd? Probably unrelated to your “tracking” issue but it might be worth sorting out :)
Those shackles are greasable and made by Currie. Daystar makes some just like th
Thanks all for the help. I just noticed that the drag link end at Pittman arm is wore out along with the tie rod end. I imagine those two things are causing most of the swerving.

Those shackles are greasable and made by Currie. Daystar makes some just like th
Thanks all for the help. I just noticed that the drag link end at Pittman arm is wore out along with the tie rod end. I imagine those two things are causing most of the swerving.
Got it. The angle of the picture almost looked like the gusset on top of the shackle was almost resting on the bumper/crossmember. The polished blade wheels are so sweet!

Usually side to side movement in leaf springs are the bushings. Sometimes shackle flex too.
As someone above said, have someone work the wheel back and forth a little and see what’s moving

Got it. The angle of the picture almost looked like the gusset on top of the shackle was almost resting on the bumper/crossmember. The polished blade wheels are so sweet!
Hah, yes it does. As far as the wheels thanks. They can be yours for some less flashy wheels and 35' tires😁

I noticed where drag link attaches to tie rod that they are really close together. Looks like tie rod end is bent causing the near contact. Also if I buy new tie rod ends do I order 87 YJ parts or wagoneer and what year...? The tie rods look pretty big.

Attachments

• IMG_20210209_145756.jpg
    IMG_20210209_145756.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20210209_145440.jpg
    IMG_20210209_145440.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 175
Get the ones for the waggy, they are standard GM ends. I am pretty sure that bend is supposed to be there on the tie rod end. They make an over the knuckle and under the knuckle version.

Barnes 4WD has them usually in stock and a one day shipping point in NC usually.

I always ran 1 1/2" spacers on the rear to make them equal the front. I even do it on my old Cherokee's

As for the front shackles, it appears those have built in two points so you can flat tow the jeep.

Hard to find case.esp w the elec speedo.

Get the ones for the waggy, they are standard GM ends. I am pretty sure that bend is supposed to be there on the tie rod end. They make an over the knuckle and under the knuckle version.

Barnes 4WD has them usually in stock and a one day shipping point in NC usually.

I always ran 1 1/2" spacers on the rear to make them equal the front. I even do it on my old Cherokee's

As for the front shackles, it appears those have built in two points so you can flat tow the jeep.
Thanks for all the info.

I used to daily drive both my old YJ’s with no track bars or sway bars.
like others said, check for play in steering and look at all of your leaf springs bushings.
do a bolt check on everything too.
track bars will stiffen up your suspension and it will ride like crap. Especially cause you have a lift, which will make your track bar be less parallel with your axle than stock.
a sway bar will probably help more and will not hurt your ride quality.
should be able to find a factory sway bar in someone’s junk pile. I just sold 2... sorry.
you also may have some play in your steering box.
I would not go with a different pitman arm. The factory 2 inch drop is fine.

I never ran one, but a steering stabilizer could help you too.

Thanks for the link. Are the tie rod ends I need 1 ton?

I don't know on your set up. Loosen the jamb nuts and that will tell you if they are right or left hand threads.

Just got a message from Barnes,
Hey there,
Connor here. So honestly those do look like GM 1 ton tie rod ends. However they are definitely a little dated as they are using a pinch bolt set up. I honestly can't tell the thread pitch from these photos. So I would not know which hand of TRE to give you. It would just be a try it and see if it would fit kind of thing.

For now I'll try the jamb nut method.

I

Called Barnes and talked to Connor. He needs to know right or left thread on left outer tie rod end and same for drag link end at pitman. Any idea?
It's hard to tell 100% from the pictures, but it looks like the passenger side ends are left hand thread. If you can post a well illuminated straight on picture showing some thread where it meets the nut, I can confirm. Also, during the 20th century, nuts with a groove cut in them are left hand thread. However, in the past few years, it seems like everybody wants to put all kinds of useless grooves and chamfers on everything to make it look cool, not realizing that they are undermining a useful purpose.

Some of y'all too young to remember when YJs were near the top of of the off road hierarchy.
Anybody else here spend the $$$ for the old school JKS telescoping YJ front track bar? That thing was awesome (back in 1999)

Back