Trail Radios

YJKrawlin

What's everyone using for trail radios nowadays? Me and my main wheeling buddy both have CB's, but it seems like more and more people are switching over to handhelds. Is there an end all be all? Been looking at some of the Baofeng radios (Like this one), but wasn't sure if this was overkill. Whatever I get, I will probably end up getting a 3 or 4 pack to pass out to whoever we wheel with. Will these radios pickup standard walkie channels as well? That seems to be what most of the guys i've been wheeling with recently have been using. Just want something that will work when someone gets around the tree line or has to break off to run to the trail head, etc. Any suggestions?

You'll want to program the baofeng to receive and transmit on walkie talkie frequencies. You can key the frequencies in manually, but you'll need a cheat sheet. The Midland or Motorola GMRS radios are a bit more expensive and less versatile, but easier to use.

Have wheeled with folks out of GA that did just that... bought a party pack and pass them out on the trail.
1000% better than CBs... Moab was good for 10-15 MILES and worked just as well at WindRock, Slade KY, and a couple other spots we've visited with them.

Picked up an 8W Baofeng (UV-5R is 4W?) in a raffle this summer...
If'n someone has the "CHIRP" file on hand for those HT freqs, please let me know? :beer:

The Baofeng's work fine. Get a programming cable and use CHIRP to program them. The new Baofeng's need to be factory reset to do GMRS. It's not a big deal and takes about a minute and 8 fingers. :D Hold the PTT button, the monitor button and the VFO button while turning on the radio will reset it to factory and enable GMRS frequencies.

The "standard walkie talkie frequencies are GMRS/FRS channels.

Have wheeled with folks out of GA that did just that... bought a party pack and pass them out on the trail.
1000% better than CBs... Moab was good for 10-15 MILES and worked just as well at WindRock, Slade KY, and a couple other spots we've visited with them.

If'n someone has the "CHIRP" file on hand for those HT freqs, please let me know? :beer:
I have one with all the FRS and GMRS frequencies. You have to download the chirp file off your radio, paste these in and upload it back.

The new gen3 UV-5R's are 8 watt radios. I do have the CHIRP file for GMRS but it's also got a whole bunch of ham stuff in it too. I can walk you thru programming. It's not difficult.

I could make a just GMRS file if I was asked nicely and if one goes to the veterans ride, a glass of essential honey would be a nice gesture. :beer:

I have one with all the FRS and GMRS frequencies. You have to download the chirp file off your radio, paste these in and upload it back.
Have the warez/process down, just needed the freqs... something you can post? email?
The new gen3 UV-5R's are 8 watt radios. I do have the CHIRP file for GMRS but it's also got a whole bunch of ham stuff in it too. I can walk you thru programming. It's not difficult.

I could make a just GMRS file if I was asked nicely and if one goes to the veterans ride, a glass of essential honey would be a nice gesture. :beer:
Will be attending the Veterans Ride, will shake your hand & smile, but tend to stick with either mainstream redneck (PBR, Ol'Mil, etc.) or IPA's with enough IBRs to pucker a mule :D

Shit, I have CHIRP and have not learned how to use it.

I'll send you an email and try to fuck with my radios tonight.

Thank you @cranbiz !
Oddly (while searching for cable), found an old Baofeng F-11 (don't recall purchasing it 🤫 ) and my OG Wouxun KG-UVD1P HT... so guess I have 3 to program.
Plan to leave the older NC repeaters and plop these somewhere for trail use.

I have used one of those for a few years now. They work great. If you have someone with a handheld, like you see at walmart, you can program those to the channels they use. I'm not up on the lingo for all that.

I have used one of those for a few years now. They work great. If you have someone with a handheld, like you see at walmart, you can program those to the channels they use. I'm not up on the lingo for all that.
That’s what I heard but heard it was a big no-no to do that so wasn’t sure what was the best way to go with it.

Send me an email. I just made up the GMRS/FRS file and added the 5 MURS channels just because.
thibodeaur at hotmail.com
Email sent!

How well do they work when used with standard handheld walkie? Still a better unit or would I be better off just getting another frs walkie?

The Baofeng's work fine. Get a programming cable and use CHIRP to program them. The new Baofeng's need to be factory reset to do GMRS. It's not a big deal and takes about a minute and 8 fingers. :D Hold the PTT button, the monitor button and the VFO button while turning on the radio will reset it to factory and enable GMRS frequencies.

The "standard walkie talkie frequencies are GMRS/FRS channels.
Are they any better than a standard walkie when used with them? I know they have more features.

That’s what I heard but heard it was a big no-no to do that so wasn’t sure what was the best way to go with it.
I can't answer that.
How well do they work when used with standard handheld walkie? Still a better unit or would I be better off just getting another frs walkie?
They are better than the handheld walkies you see anywhere. We use them in Harlan and from the top of the mountain I can communicate with people at the campground. Now once we break over we loose it. But just about anywhere on the same side of the mountain we can talk.

Are they any better than a standard walkie when used with them? I know they have more features.
I went back thru my notes and found the "GA Boys" running 462.687 & 467.587 (*both* GMRS frequencies), so yes... miles can be expected where CBs won't work line of sight.

WindRock, we were on Walden's Ridge and talking to folks in camp and the main park (Trail 1)... so very good distance at those frequencies

I went back thru my notes and found the "GA Boys" running 462.687 & 467.587 (*both* GMRS frequencies), so yes... miles can be expected where CBs won't work line of sight.

WindRock, we were on Walden's Ridge and talking to folks in camp and the main park (Trail 1)... so very good distance at those frequencies
Awesome, well I ordered a few, and a programming cable so maybe I can see how well I can get one working before the trip if I can get up with cranbiz and get it programmed.

If they are using MURS, then there isn't anything they can do. MURS is a specific set of 5 frequencies that are for general use but they are limited to no more than 2W.

Proper radio etiquette says one will not create harmful interference to other users so if you plan to mess with them, don't.

If you buy a programming cable, make sure to buy the actual Baofeng one. The knock off cables are a crap shoot.

This comes up every few months. Here's another thread with more info:

If you buy a programming cable, make sure to buy the actual Baofeng one. The knock off cables are a crap shoot.
I ordered This one , looked like it had good enough reviews and had a baofeng tag in the picture. Hoping it works well enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back