Trail Radios

Found this in the tote also šŸ„³
Yes, it's been too fawking long šŸ˜¬ 20231030_202622.jpg

Sure. Then people will also not read it, but from the top :D
to be fair, I did read through that post first, but wasn't sure if it would apply to me since I wasn't sure if I would get a RFS or GMRS/HAM radio haha.

to be fair, I did read through that post first, but wasn't sure if it would apply to me since I wasn't sure if I would get a RFS or GMRS/HAM radio haha.
To be fair, I'm not picking on you or @skyhighZJ, just the way that useful stickies on forums are generally ignored.

Got my baofeng uv-5r in the mail today, got the programming done and works great, 8+ miles of reception in somewhat hilly woody area where I live. Does anyone know how to set the ā€œprivacyā€channels? ( I know theyā€™re not private but best description I can think of) I tried to set the frequency for one but it wouldnā€™t stay in for communication. Would reset as soon as I switched to another setting. Or is it not allowing me to modify the privacy on a programmed channel vs frequency tuning?

Got my baofeng uv-5r in the mail today, got the programming done and works great, 8+ miles of reception in somewhat hilly woody area where I live. Does anyone know how to set the ā€œprivacyā€channels? ( I know theyā€™re not private but best description I can think of) I tried to set the frequency for one but it wouldnā€™t stay in for communication. Would reset as soon as I switched to another setting. Or is it not allowing me to modify the privacy on a programmed channel vs frequency tuning?

They're just DCS or CTCSS squelch codes. You'd have to program them in separately. I'm not sure they're all the same from manufacturer to manufacturer, so that might get even more complicated.

And yes, not privacy... more like ignore codes. Everybody can hear you, but you can only hear somebody running the same code as you.

I also wanted to let anyone who's interested know, in the chirp program you can go to file and open stock config and there is a file for all the FRS and GMRS channels already in the program that you can import to your radio as well. I can't thank @cranbiz enough for their help in getting this figured out though. Looking forward to next weekend, hope to see everyone out there!

I wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions! The radios worked great this weekend on trail in camp and on the way home. Definitely going to be bringing them every trip in the future.

Back