Trailer axle rant

kaiser715

Doing hard time
So, a couple of months ago, I need to order a couple of trailer axles. Just a couple of standard Dexter 7k axles.

In the past, I have gotten axles from Kaufman Trailer. Great prices, in stock, and you can just drive over and pick them up and save shipping and time. Called, talked to them. Find out they aren't doing Dexters anymore. Their 7k axles are Lipperts. No thanks.

Called redneck, they said upfront they couldn't get what I wanted. (?) Don't know if the girl just couldn't understand English or what. 7k is not an oddball axle. (Is it?) Suggested I could do the 8k's for about three times the money.

Called southwest wheel. (I've dealt with them years and years ago with good experience, after reading some recent reviews I'm not sure I would have this time). They had what I wanted could ship within 2 days. (Parts only, unassembed.) Great. Placed order. Waited a couple of weeks, called back. Sales rep checked with shipping, said there was a mix-up, and guaranteed my order was being prepped at that moment and would ship that day. Called back the next day to get a tracking number. Guy I needed to talk to was at lunch, but I was assured axles had shipped. Got busy, didn't have time to mess with it for 2 more weeks. Axles never arrived. Called again. Sales rep said everything was in stock, and did I want to try again, or get a refund. I said just give me a refund, I can't waste any more time on them. Within 5 minutes I got an emailed receipt showing a full refund. A week later, credit had not shown up on my credit card. Called in, they said they'll do ASAP, but said it would take 48 hours to show up. 2 days, then 3 days later, it still hadn't come thru. Today, I was going to call the CC company and contest the charge, and finally, the credit came thru overnight. Anyway, lost 5 weeks total over something that was supposedly in stock all along.

A week ago, I ordered the axles from etrailer. Website showed in stock, with delivery on July 1st. Again, parts only, unassembled. Called and confirmed that information. Placed order online. The next day, checked order status. Showed an estimated shipping date of July 1. Fine. Checked today on the status. Now shows expected shipping date of July 18. Once again, these items are "in stock" at etrailer.

I'm about ready to drive to Thomasville and get the Lippert.

Last edited:
I heave dealt with lippert axles before and they are fine. I would drive to pick one up there. That being said I just ordered a custom 3500 lb for my pontoon trailer and got it in a week from south carolina. Went through my local trailer place which is copper river fabricators.

I've heard that trailer parts are hard to come by currently. What size are you looking for? I've got a buddy that used to sell trailer parts and has a large stockpile.

Yep, saw that. But from the website, I gathered they had been out of business since the AOL days.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Their website is trash. My man still has old school price books and a book rack ...he complains that the manufacturers quit publishing books and sends them price lists "on the damn box" (computer) so he has to print them out every year.

I'd just drive down to Kaufman and get the Lipperts. I've had no issues out of the ones on my trailer.

I’ve heard camper demand is high now because of the COVID.

Camper demand is up...Can't get new truck inventory because the plants been closed for 2 months, can't get treated white pine...yeah....shit's about to get real

Check truss pricing in the last week

I'll second not having any issues with them. My trailer has been great.

In the past, I have gotten axles from Kaufman Trailer. Great prices, in stock, and you can just drive over and pick them up and save shipping and time. Called, talked to them. Find out they aren't doing Dexters anymore. Their 7k axles are Lipperts. No thanks.
So what's wrong with Lipperts? I assume shafts, spindles, bearings, brakes, etc ard all generally the same components between the manufacturers.

So what's wrong with Lipperts? I assume shafts, spindles, bearings, brakes, etc ard all generally the same components between the manufacturers.

Chinese manufacture, copy of dexter. Parts supposedly interchange.

Not that concerned about it, just rather have Dexter (but I bet more of their stuff is sourced offshore than we think).

Lipperts have a bad rap on the RV forums. Most posts go something like this:

"Lippert axles are crap because I've never hit a curb, and now all of a sudden after 1000 miles, the tire blew because it wore on one side because I have a bent spring and spring hanger and a snapped ubolt. I really never hit anything, and this proves that the axles are crap." [Even though the axle is fine, it's just all the suspension that's screwed up.]

That, and most entry level camper trailers use Lippert, not Dexter, and entry level trailers with entry level owners might not get maintained and serviced like they should.

Bearings are the most important part, and even Timkin and SKT have gone to China. I guess we can't escape it.

In fairness, there are hundreds or even thousands upon thousands of folks that have never pulled more than a lawnmower trailer that suddenly up and buy a 25’+ camper and bang it off every curb and don’t maintain it. And many like some near me that sit for a year at a time getting used once every year lol.

Call Hudson brothers Trailers in Monroe, NC 704 753 4393 on Monday. They should still carry them. I buy from the all the time.
Edit: Is this for a camper or equipment trailer?

Back