trailer build question

Did you just put a fiver hitch on one end and bumper pull hitch on the other than axles in the middle like Hudson does?

Science of metals.

Here's some progress...loooove my new welder
IMG_20200401_163526.jpg
IMG_20200401_163526.jpg
IMG_20200401_163526.jpg
IMG_20200401_173541.jpg

Oops
IMG_20200401_163557.jpg

Nice looking welds!

Pro Tip: Make sure all of your jackstands are at the same PSI to avoid warpage as you add weight.

Are you planning 3500 axles or bigger?

That trailer is going to be freaking heavy (not knocking it). There's no way in God's green earth it will be under 7k with his rig on it. 5200# axles may not be enough to safely carry the load either.
Which is why I asked what axles he was planning... My loaded trailer for harlan is 6440..... I want a bigger trailer....

As it sits in the picture, with (estimated) 80 inch pieces of angle, 18 foot x 84 inch perimeter frame, you're right at 750 lbs of steel. The dovetail will add another 100 lbs (plus 44 lbs if there is another piece of angle in the dovetail), so that's 850-890 lbs of frame steel.
Maybe minimum 14 feet of steel for the 4 foot tongue if it ties under the frame, plus a crossmember, so that's at least 150 lbs, so 1025 pounds of frame steel.

She gonna be heavy.

Last edited:
Are you planning 3500 axles or bigger?
For now dual 3500, oh and frame is 2x4x1/8" lol, stupid, I don't know why I said quarter inch wall. My center sections are 30" apart, so only two more extra braces than your average car trailer.

That trailer is going to be freaking heavy (not knocking it). There's no way in God's green earth it will be under 7k with his rig on it. 5200# axles may not be enough to safely carry the load either.
I will be getting 8lug axles later but just installing what I have for now. It'll pull the Jeep

That's your rig plus the trailer? Or just the rig and spare parts and such?

That is my Jeep on my trailer loaded for Harlan. Which means 110 welder in Jeep 2 or 3 coolers on trailer with food/beverages for the trip with all the camping stuff in jeep. Also all my tools that go out on the trail in the jeep.

oh and frame is 2x4x1/8" lol, stupid, I don't know why I said quarter inch wall. My center sections are 30" apart, so only two more extra braces than your average car trailer.

So that makes it 700-750 pounds of steel, somewhere in there. That also means that your 7 angle crossmembers weigh almost exactly as much as all of the 2x4 tubing in the entire rest of the frame and tongue (that made me chuckle).
It looks like 3x2x3/16 angle is common for 2x4x0.120 frames from Big Tex, etc., so you're probably 125lbs heavier than needed for the crossmembers.

Sounds fine for a pair of 3500 lb axles; you'll probably have a max 4700 pound load capacity if you're anywhere close to the other trailers with a similar frame weight. There's really no need for bigger axles, as the frame is now potentially undersized for anything bigger at that length.

Last edited:
So that makes it 700-750 pounds of steel, somewhere in there. That also means that your 7 angle crossmembers weigh almost exactly as much as all of the 2x4 tubing in the entire rest of the frame and tongue (that made me chuckle).
It looks like 3x2x3/16 angle is common for 2x4x0.120 frames from Big Tex, etc., so you're probably 125lbs heavier than needed for the crossmembers.

Sounds fine for a pair of 3500 lb axles; you'll probably have a max 4700 pound load capacity if you're anywhere close to the other trailers with a similar frame weight. There's really no need for bigger axles, as the frame is now potentially undersized for anything bigger at that length.
Well good to know all the math in the weight already lol but nonetheless it should be a good enough trailer for me I guess when I meant building a legit trailer for me anyways that's a big step up from using campers LOL

Hey, at least it's a miniature dumpster fire instead of the full size ones were used to.
Hence why I posted the candle, and not the blazing marshmallow roasting inferno :lol:

Hey guys, tires are load Range G, 3200lb at 115psi cold so just wondering what some of you are running them at. Thanks

Back