trailer build question

I'm glad someone redid that video with a truck instead of a Mustang. Who the heck tows with a mustang?
You're thinking of it wrong...they showed the Mustang getting out of control since they run over crowds!

Soooo 1580 for the trailer, and 4980 for the rig, so that's 656 lbs tongue weight at 10%, and 984lbs at 15%. That's the target, not the actual based on placement obviously.
Ok I'm way overthinking all this but can't wrap my head around these numbers and now I'm reading up and trying to learn. So it's not just about 60/40 or what the trailer hitch says but these numbers (10-15%) is the realistic distributing of the loaded trailer properly??

$85 and be done with it...

View attachment 316499
Dang, I wish the had that version when I bought mine. Here's an example of too much:
IMG_20200412_135105.jpg

Lots of people keep mentioning “mark the trailer”. This isn’t feasible when you haul different things. If he isn’t comfortable loading with a calibrated eye or seat of the pants, he’s gonna have to spend a few dollars. That Weigh Safe hitch with the scale removes all guesswork. 10-15% of the load should be carried on the tongue until you’ve reached your tongue weight max. Then it’s time for a bigger tow pig.

Lots of people keep mentioning “mark the trailer”. This isn’t feasible when you haul different things. If he isn’t comfortable loading with a calibrated eye or seat of the pants, he’s gonna have to spend a few dollars. That Weigh Safe hitch with the scale removes all guesswork. 10-15% of the load should be carried on the tongue until you’ve reached your tongue weight max. Then it’s time for a bigger tow pig.
You're right. However, judging by the choice of OSB for the deck, one might assume spending extra coin for the Weigh Safe hitch may be a long shot.
Respectfully speaking to all parties involved :)

Of all the things to super geek out about.......but a roll cage design still looks like chutes and ladders.
Mind Blown.

Ok I'm way overthinking all this but can't wrap my head around these numbers and now I'm reading up and trying to learn. So it's not just about 60/40 or what the trailer hitch says but these numbers (10-15%) is the realistic distributing of the loaded trailer properly??

You are overthinking it, and this is coming from an overthinker.

Common wisdom for stability is to put 10-15% of gross trailer weight on the tongue. Your gross trailer weight is the weight of the trailer plus everything on it, so that's 1580+4890=6560. That makes 656 lbs tongue weight at 10%, and 984lbs at 15%. If your Tahoe is rated at 500 lbs max tongue weight (with a weight carrying hitch), you're over that. But, if you have a weight distributing hitch, you're probably in the right ballpark for rating with the weight distributing hitch (it might be 900 or 1000 lbs). Like I mentioned earlier, you should be able to find those ratings with Google pretty easily for the Tahoe of your year.

Then it’s time for a bigger tow pig.
this the story of my life LMBO, I've been needing a "bigger tow rig" for quite some time now. It's in the working....

spending extra coin for the Weigh Safe hitch may be a long shot.
hey hey hey, I spent pretty good money on this beefy weight distribution hitch, which, with a 1500 type tow rig makes ALL the difference so I'm getting there.

Of all the things to super geek out about.......but a roll cage design still looks like chutes and ladders.
bruh, towing effects me and those around me...my funky looking cage doesn't (except most people yes they do feel very compelled to express their deep concerns and sorrow for the design and visual atrociousness it puts off) lol

That makes 656 lbs tongue weight at 10%, and 984lbs at 15%.
I'm following, gonna try and get those scales again and land my tongue weight loaded somewhere in between these 2 numbers and I should be pretty good, thank you

My Kaufman 24' deck over uses 2x8x20' boards and I can't for the life of me figure out why?

Likely they got a good deal on a load of it.

My Kaufman 24' deck over uses 2x8x20' boards and I can't for the life of me figure out why?

There's a few reasons that may explain it, or could be completely wrong, but I'm just brainstorming:
  • Perception of quality from a one-piece deck, or marketing ("we're the only company that uses a one piece deck" or whatever)
  • Cost of wood is less expensive than material/labor to add extra stringers to support the seam
  • Cost of wood is less expensive than material/labor to drill/fasten the extra seam, and cut down longer boards to use 16 foot plus 4 foot

When shit hits the fan and you have one of these indicating an overloaded hitch, you then have successfully eliminated any chance of a plausible deniability defense.
It was at 2000 when I loaded it ;)

There's a few reasons that may explain it, or could be completely wrong, but I'm just brainstorming:
  • Perception of quality from a one-piece deck, or marketing ("we're the only company that uses a one piece deck" or whatever)
  • Cost of wood is less expensive than material/labor to add extra stringers to support the seam
  • Cost of wood is less expensive than material/labor to drill/fasten the extra seam, and cut down longer boards to use 16 foot plus 4 foot
I think you're just wrong. It's a 24ft deck and a 20ft board :p

When shit hits the fan and you have one of these indicating an overloaded hitch, you then have successfully eliminated any chance of a plausible deniability defense.
After shit hits said fan, there isn't likely to be the same load on the tongue. Lol

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Got me a new tow rig/family ride. Wow what a difference with the 5.3 compared to the 95 TBI I sold. This is a 02 suburban 1owner almost prestine condition, religiously maintained by a dentist in Raleigh. Runs and drives like a brand new car...all for $2500.
Anyone have any upgrades or worthy mods for the 5.3. can't wait to tow with it this weekend.
IMG_20200427_070032.jpg

Tune it and let it eat. It'll wake it up and get the transmission shifting better.

Tune it and let it eat.
are you referring to just plugs and wires or are you talking about actually tuning it
Found out just now it has the G80 3:73 rear axle so I'm pretty happy with that.

Back