Trailer ramp traction

Danger_Ranger

What's a good way to add some traction to my trailer ramps? I need to do my flat bed trailer and dump trailer ramps. The dump trailer needs it more because the ramps are steeper. Loading my mini skid steer on the dump trailer is a little sketchy, it wants to spin and slide sideways. @redneckjeep87 suggested welding some expanded metal over them to help. I was just looking for some more input on what some of you guys may have tried with success. Thanks

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The ramps on my trailer are are slick metal, so I bought the self adhesive treads like you’d put on a step and put some of those on the ramps. Cheap and works pretty good.

Not just expanded metal. The twisted type of expanded for traction. Also only on the edges of where your tracks touch. I will probably be doing mine with the weather happening coming up and can either show you pics afterwards, or bring it up and we'll do both of them at the same time. I ha e been planning on doing mine for a while now and just havnt gotten around to it

The twisted kind makes sense. Just let me know when you plan on doing yours and I'll see if I can bring mine up too.

The twisted kind makes sense. Just let me know when you plan on doing yours and I'll see if I can bring mine up too.

10 4. Depends on the weather honestly. Will probably do it one day this week. I need to go get steel to build new ramps for my equipment trailer as well

I added 1/2" angle welded across the ramps in order to mimic the mega ramps surface.

Works wonders:

Big_Tex_HD_25GN_35_Flatdeck_Gooseneck_Trailer_with_5_Mega_Ramps_on_the_Dove_Tail_e1bvXs.jpg

Adding some angle between what's already there is a good idea too. I'll have to do some measuring.

Adding some angle between what's already there is a good idea too. I'll have to do some measuring.

Just picked up some metal to redo the ramps on my equipment trailer. If still raining Monday ill probably be working on the trailers.
I already have the expanded we need.

The issue with what we are dealing with is angle, slick surface, and low ground pressure.

The mega ramps are set at a much lower angle so it isn't quite as much of an issue as with the dump trailers.

Adding more angle in between what is currently there could actually decrease traction especially on tire equipment. It would also make the ramps much heavier.....mine are pretty damn heavy from the get go....have to be able to slide them in and out.

The lack of traction is from frequent use, the powdercoat/paint wears down as well as the sharp edge on the angle iron. Adding pieces of the twisted expanded welded and formed over the edge of the angle truly is the best bet. I have done it before

So the only time i have traction problems is with light weight equipment with smaller tires. The smaller tires fall down in the gaps between the angle and slow down the forward movement thus cause the spinning. So if you fill in the gaps it would solve this.

Personally I have not had any issues with full size equipment. Well except for snow lol

So the only time i have traction problems is with light weight equipment with smaller tires. The smaller tires fall down in the gaps between the angle and slow down the forward movement thus cause the spinning. So if you fill in the gaps it would solve this.

Personally I have not had any issues with full size equipment. Well except for snow lol
We are on tracks. Mini skids to be exact. I generally have no issues, but have a MUCH longer track length than @Danger_Ranger. I generally only have any issues with muddy tracks or when everything is wet. Occasionally have put my scag up there no problem, my tractor has no issues at all

Back