Trailer recommendations

1. 16 or 18? - Definitely go 18'. I have a 16' and there have been so many times I wished it was 18'. My old one was 18' and it was so much better having that extra 2'.
2. 5 lug or 6 lug? Definitely go 6 lug. The 5 lug is what I have had on most of my trailers. I'm done with it and all future trailers will be 6 lug or more. I don't care about lugnuts, but trailers with 6 lug axles are rated to haul more and have bigger brakes and bigger wheels.
3. 15" or 16" wheels? Definitely go 16". That way if you have a blow out on a long trip you can stop by any tire store and get E rated truck tires and put on it. I have a problem once on a Friday and they had to special order HD 15" tires and had to get a hotel for the weekend and come home on Monday.
4. Steel or wood? Steel doesn't rot, but it does rust. Steel weighs less and if you have to drag on junk it will slide easier.

I recently borrowed a PJ crawler hauler and it was very nice. I will probably get one eventually.

Depends on what you want to haul. You can screw blocking down anywhere on a wood deck. You don't ever have to paint the wood deck, and it doesn't get hot sitting in the sun. But it takes forever to dry, and it's never truly clean. It rots over time, and the "discount" trailer builders only put a handful of screws in each board, so they tear themselves apart every time you try to load something.

I used #1 redried treated on our little utility trailer, and put two screws in each board at each crossmember. That deck should last 20 years.

Depends on what you want to haul. You can screw blocking down anywhere on a wood deck. You don't ever have to paint the wood deck, and it doesn't get hot sitting in the sun. But it takes forever to dry, and it's never truly clean. It rots over time, and the "discount" trailer builders only put a handful of screws in each board, so they tear themselves apart every time you try to load something.

I used #1 redried treated on our little utility trailer, and put two screws in each board at each crossmember. That deck should last 20 years.

I do like a wood deck. I've busted my ass a couple times on a slick steel deck. I do like that I can tear up a wood deck and then replace a board if need be. I do like that I can nail and screw to the wood deck. Sounds good but it's actually useful when using the trailer to haul other things. I screwed a ton of blocks down to my wood deck when I hauled the girls' playhouse. Worked out really well and was only remotely possible with a wood deck.

I did buy the removable fender option but wished I hadn't. They rattle too much. I now keep them off permanently and they won't go on once I have the buggy where I want on the trailer due to the buggy tires in the way. I'm now gathering parts to weld on drive over fenders.

IMG_3782.JPG

This was my PJ Buggy Hauler and it was the best trailer I've ever owned. Pricey though! The only reason it's gone is because I traded it in on a bigger PJ twice as long. I priced that Blackwood lumber because PJ offers it as an option. It's STUPID expensive.

My dad and I split a new Hooper trailer in 2015. 3500lb axles, single brake axle. Bias tires. Pretty sure it's 16'+2' dove. Wood deck. Paid 2300 new with a spare tire. Bought it from TRT off 321.

Paint was junk. Drag a chain across it a few times and it's rusting in a month.

Tires are junk. Still running them though.

Should have bought the model up with 5k axles even though there was no justification at the time for 800 more dollars. There have been a few times when I wished I could have hauled a 7000lb truck.

Should have put some finish on the deck as soon as we bought it.

Stake pockets aren't the best for ratchet straps, so I stick with binder and chain.

All things considered, id sit on your 2500 and wait for a used unit to come up on here. I wouldn't skimp on tires and I'd nut up the extra coin for higher axle rating.
I didn't read everyone else's response, so this might be redundant.

My dad and I split a new Hooper trailer in 2015. 3500lb axles, single brake axle. Bias tires. Pretty sure it's 16'+2' dove. Wood deck. Paid 2300 new with a spare tire. Bought it from TRT off 321.

Paint was junk. Drag a chain across it a few times and it's rusting in a month.

Tires are junk. Still running them though.

Should have bought the model up with 5k axles even though there was no justification at the time for 800 more dollars. There have been a few times when I wished I could have hauled a 7000lb truck.

Should have put some finish on the deck as soon as we bought it.

Stake pockets aren't the best for ratchet straps, so I stick with binder and chain.

All things considered, id sit on your 2500 and wait for a used unit to come up on here. I wouldn't skimp on tires and I'd nut up the extra coin for higher axle rating.
I didn't read everyone else's response, so this might be redundant.
Sounds like it ended up about as nice as that junky trailer you bought from me, hahaha!

Back