Trailer recommendations

YJJPWrangler

Tow Rig Specs:
2007 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7l V8. I have pulled boats, skid steers, mini ex's, tractors etc with it. Factory tow rating of 10,600lbs

Jeep:
1948 Willys on 36" Iroks WB is roughly 90".

I need a trailer(bumper pull) to pull the Willys to URE, Flats, SHOP etc. I have never owned a trailer but have towed many. The trailer would primarily be used for pulling the Willys and doubling for yard work(mulch, etc) and hauling my 51 Farmall Super C. I know that I want a double axle with brakes(I have a controller setup already for the truck). But I am lost on length/dovetail etc and other options. Budget wise, I would like to spend around $1.5k - 2.5k. I do not want to go the cheap, HF quality route but don't want to spend an arm and a leg either. I am not opposed to buying used as well.

Thoughts/opinions?

Do you need to haul any implements with your Farmall? What does it weigh? I think that is going to be what you fit your trailer around. 14-16' seem to be the most common sizes used. You can find good deals occasionally, but typically they are at almost new prices.

I would suggest getting one without sides and 84" width. You can add stake sides later if needed but you typically cant remove the sides on one that was made with them. Personally I prefer slideout ramps and a dovetail trailer. If I was buying another like this, I would get an 20x7 or 18x7 with dove. The little bit extra room is nice and does cost/weigh that much more.

I have a 16' Kauffman trailer with dove tail, slide out ramps, and fenders you can drive over, although I've never had to drive over them. 8000 pound rating and brakes on both axles. Think I paid $2700 new, but that was in 2011. It's been a great trailer.

I borrowed a 16' double axle trailer to haul the tractor and 5 implements from Georgia 8 years ago. Attachments are 5' bush hog, two row disc, blade, bucket scoop, and a runner planter. It was tight but we managed to get everything in the truck/trailer and it towed/stopped just fine. The tractor and attachments are currently at my BIL's house awaiting restoration. A quick google search shows a Super C starting out around 3100lbs. Unfortunately, I don't really have a use for the tractor where we live currently(unless I can buy the property next to us) so it will most likely stay at the BILs house. Transporting the tractor plus attachments is on the low side of use, it will be used for the Willys/yard/junk yard runs etc.

I would prefer the option to put stakes/bed on the side when hauling mulch etc. I don't really have a preferred option on slideout ramps or fold up ramps. All the equipment trailers i've ever used were fold up ramps and they worked fine for me. I haven't measured the width of the Jeep yet but its on narrowtrack D44s with 36x13x15 iroks. I pulled @rockcity trailer a few months ago and I think it was an 18' with a 2' dove if im not mistaken?

Used prices on trailers are just about the same as new ones nowadays..

18ft deck with a dovetail is going to be beneficial when loading a tractor with a bushhog. Likely be fine getting a std car trailer with dual braking 3500lb axles. If buying new most of the companies will build a fullwidth deck, but i dont believe it is ness for you.

For the sides, you can get stake pockets on the trailer, and then adding wooden sides for mulch/etc. is easy.

I would go with a trailer from T&W. It isn't the best trailer in the world, but you can't beat it for the money (mostly the paint and wiring could be better)

Also, I would do an 18, a 16 will fit in, but you will like the extra space

T&W Trailers Pictures?

The market on used trailers is stupid, especially in the 14-20ft tandem axle varieties. You might get lucky, but you should probably go ahead and buy yourself a new one.

If you plan on hauling mulch and stuff with it, get a full wood deck with stake pockets and rub rails.

The market on used trailers is stupid, especially in the 14-20ft tandem axle varieties. You might get lucky, but you should probably go ahead and buy yourself a new one.

If you plan on hauling mulch and stuff with it, get a full wood deck with stake pockets and rub rails.
What Shawn said. Twice I went looking for used trailers, one for me, one for Dad. Twice we bought new trailers. Everyone wanted around $500-1000 less than new prices, and all the used ones needed work, deck boards, wiring, hubs or tires. That was not even checking the brakes over, but I'd bet they were worn out too.

Best part was since we were actually having dad's trailer built, we were able to option it out the way we wanted, such as removable fenders and tongue storage.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I'll add my $.02 and put in a plug for the radial tire upgrade no matter the brand, new or used. I went radials about 4 years back and I'll never go back to bias ply.

I'll add my $.02 and put in a plug for the radial tire upgrade no matter the brand, new or used. I went radials about 4 years back and I'll never go back to bias ply.

If upgrading to a 15 or 16" wheel is an option, I would do that also. Makes finding spares or new tires easier.

I was planning on getting a wood deck. I can add rails/sides to it later. I'm assuming a 18' ft trailer(16' with 2' dove) with wood decking would be roughly around $2k? Good thoughts on the radial tire upgrade, I hadn't thought about that.
I've been trolling Craigslist and the trailers are either A. 1-2yrs old for same price as new or B. Falling apart to the point that everything needs replacing but they still are asking 1500+. I'm assuming most trailer tires fall into the 14" category?

I'm assuming 2 3500lb axles would be fine for my application? Or I could always compare the 3500 vs the 5-6k and see what the cost difference/benefits are.

x3 on 16" radials. I have a nice set of 8-lug aluminum wheels you can buy. :D

I'd definitely do an 18' trailer if not bigger for a tractor and bush hog depending on how long the tractor and bush hog is.. Radial tires are the only way to go. I've had two Lawrimore Trailer: Home and have been happy with both. First one was stolen.....

Being able to haul the tractor and a bushhog(biggest attachement) would definitely be a plus. Here's an old picture for size reference.

I'd shoot for 5200# or heavier axles. 5200, 6000, and 7000 all run the same bearings and basically the same brakes.

My new 18' trailer with 5200# axles and a few other upgrades was $2500. It much more than a used trailer. No way was I going to buy a used trailer for around the same price.

Tire upgrades are best bang for the buck I think. While you are at it, I'd suggest ordering 1-2 spares at the time of buying the trailer. Wheels and tires from the manufacturer seem to very reasonable compared to the tire shop and you get identical wheels and tires. I like to rotate my spares so they get even use and wear.

I bought a Kaufman 16' steel deck with dove tail about 11 yrs ago. I have been happy with it. It has removable fenders which are nice for wider rigs. It only has brakes on one axle though. If I was to do it over again, I would get heavier axles and brakes on both axles, but keep everything else the same.

[QUOTE="rockcity, post: 1531615, member: 483" I like to rotate my spares so they get even use and wear.[/QUOTE]

Hell yeah you do.
For a while there we rotated them on the side of the interstate quite regularly.

What are the pros/cons of going steel deck vs wood deck? Obviously steel will be more expensive but I can see where wood has its advantages.

It has removable fenders which are nice for wider rigs. It only has brakes on one axle though. If I was to do it over again, I would get heavier axles and brakes on both axles, but keep everything else the same.
Good suggestion especially if you ever plan on putting a Honda or other low small car on it.....

What are the pros/cons of going steel deck vs wood deck? Obviously steel will be more expensive but I can see where wood has its advantages.
Steel deck shouldn't ever need replacing ie. less maintenance. It will likely be diamond plate, so mulch and such is a pain to scoop. It can be slick when wet.

Back