Trailer wiring kit…

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
Anyone have luck with a specific trailer wiring kit? I can make one but sometimes it’s just easier to buy something that’s mostly put together.

26’ tag, tandem axles with brakes. Nothing special.

Ordered everything separate to rewire our 30’ dual tandem. Junction box with 7 way plug, a 100’ roll of each color, breakaway box, led lights and markers, connector assortment and some heat shrink.

Cost was marginally more, but the flexibility to wire the trailer and land everything where you want it with minimal splices was worth it.

last time i just bought rolls of the different wires. and then connected everything with something like this.

Amazon product ASIN B01M1FC3WG

I purchased something similar to that as well. Then I added a few more junction blocks and enough length of the 7 wire cable to run to the rear of the trailer. 1 box in the front, one over the axles, and one in the rear. Then used individual wires to run from the boxes to the lights, brakes, etc.

Same as @StretchASU @83oldyoda4x4 and @paradisePWoffrd for the wiring sourced wholly from Amazon (on @shawn recommendations) and 1-upped by running it ALL inside PVC Conduit, dedicated grounds, and new LEDs
Doing it ONCE/RIGHT in 2017 was the best thing I ever did... vs. having to mess with it _EVERY_ 🤬 _TIME_

I'm about to do the same to mine. I'm tired of messing with the wiring every few months

I'm about to do the same to mine. I'm tired of messing with the wiring every few months
Mine *was* being used by a friend to haul logs out of cut sites, so limbs were constantly yanking the dangling wires out... coupled with the PO's love of "Scotch-Locks":flipoff: made for problems every time I went to use it.
While there are many things I've regretted "over-killing" (either time or money), that was NOT one of them!
Aside from the dog chewing the (*only* exposed) wires to the backup lights and me driving over them repeatedly (need to be relocated), absolutely ZERO issues in almost 5 years... when it was hard to go 5 minutes between problems.

I just ended up buying all the individual components and j boxes. I have crimps and heat shrink ring terminals, so should be easy to just make everything reliable and somewhat modular if there are issues or damage. Easy to repair/replace wiring without multiple splices.

A couple progress pictures of the j boxes and wiring. It’s not super neat but it’s way better than twisting wires together and wrapping them in electrical tape.

Weatherproof ring terminals and where most of the ring terminals or splices, etc are I also added heat shrink. Should be good.

Plugged them in, first time, everything works. Now if I can address the loose connection on the truck, we’ll be in business. :)
D3389C57-04E8-4884-B1C3-E43964EC7549.jpeg
94DE90F3-00EA-4D14-8D45-9E9DC7409609.jpeg

Awesome. I chased wiring issues on mine for half a year before I discovered a brake wire inside one of the axle tubes was rubbed through and intermittently grounding. Once I solved that and all the warning dings/lights went away I was super excited for quite some time. It is such a good feeling for things to "work right." Be safe out there.

A couple progress pictures of the j boxes and wiring. It’s not super neat but it’s way better than twisting wires together and wrapping them in electrical tape.

Weatherproof ring terminals and where most of the ring terminals or splices, etc are I also added heat shrink. Should be good.

Plugged them in, first time, everything works. Now if I can address the loose connection on the truck, we’ll be in business. :)View attachment 361592View attachment 361593
That looks great, I’m going to do that. Just had to tow my parents Explorer back from Myrtle Beach with no trailer lights. Brake lights worked though. Seems every time I use it something doesn’t work.

Plugged them in, first time, everything works. Now if I can address the loose connection on the truck, we’ll be in business. :)View attachment 361592View attachment 361593
pro tip.
jam nut those. espcially the way its mounted vibration and gravity will serve to cause issues, eventualy.

You guys that have totally re-wired your trailer, did you land a separate ground for each light, or run a common ground?

You guys that have totally re-wired your trailer, did you land a separate ground for each light, or run a common ground?
The trailer lights I used only have 1 wire and ground through the mounting bolt

I ran a ground at each of the 3 junction boxes.

My lights are flush mount ovals, so they use a wire for the ground. Ran the ground to the junction boxes and grounded at each of the boxes. 1 box up by the tongue, one at the axles, and one at the rear.

I'm afraid to click that ^^^ But am glad it popped up. My trailer wiring is giving me fits. I need to rewire but that is something I defiantly need to learn to do better. Any pictures of the PVC conduit or the separate junction boxes and their location?

I'm afraid to click that ^^^ But am glad it popped up. My trailer wiring is giving me fits. I need to rewire but that is something I defiantly need to learn to do better. Any pictures of the PVC conduit or the separate junction boxes and their location?
I do not have any pics, but on my trailer I put 1 box on the tongue, 1 box over the axles, and 1 box in the rear. The rear box likely isnt needed, but it is easy to access and use as a test point if needed.

I do not have any pics, but on my trailer I put 1 box on the tongue, 1 box over the axles, and 1 box in the rear. The rear box likely isnt needed, but it is easy to access and use as a test point if needed.
So does the wire go down the middle? I'll have to try and google and see if IO can get some video or pictures to get ideas.

Back