Trampoline rollcage?

-Factory Roll Bar and windshield, Full Factory Roof from A Pillar to B
Pillar, or Roll cage required - something has to cover your head

While it is true that this thing follows the wording of the rule, does it follow the spirit? surely this rule was put in place to protect the racers in a rollover. does anyone think this trampoline would do that?

i dont exactly condone that thing, but....

it probably offers just as much protection as any flimsey roof.

No offense Dylan but if he gets killed its because of lack in judgement about the safety of his cage and ive seen what a head looks like under a 2ton vehicle and I dont really wont to see it again or let my daughter possible witness it either. I cant respect the man if hes dead. I wouldnt let him race just like I wouldnt let somebody else race if they had bad welds or exhaust tubing for a cage. Its not a respect thing its a safety thing. Just my 2 cents.:D
No offense taken. I'm not the one in charge of the tech or the rules this year. Not my problem. That cage is a little sketchy, but...again, not my problem. Hope he has a good helmet:rolleyes:

it probably offers just as much protection as any flimsey roof.

"flimsey" roof is part of the structural integrity of the vehicle. It is designed to crumple and absorb the energy. I have no stake in this discussion, but I would hope the owners of the rig would add a small internal cage for the sole protection of the occupants. As far as the trampoline shape and such, I say leave it, makes the vehicle.

I'm sure the rules are there to stop it if need be. But, the rules seem pretty simple and without writing a 50 page rule book, should be good for the race. If it meets the current rules, let em go and change the rules for next year if need be.

-Factory Roll Bar and windshield, Full Factory Roof from A Pillar to B
Pillar, or Roll cage required - something has to cover your head

While it is true that this thing follows the wording of the rule, does it follow the spirit? surely this rule was put in place to protect the racers in a rollover. does anyone think this trampoline would do that?

No offense taken. I'm not the one in charge of the tech or the rules this year. Not my problem. That cage is a little sketchy, but...again, not my problem. Hope he has a good helmet:rolleyes:

Thanks Dylan

He does meet the rules.
I agree with the spirit/mockery comment but I met the guys who brought that in and they said they have rolled it before... a few times if I can rmbr correctly. But I don't think that radiator will make it in a crash. But neither will most 'stock' vehicles, yall know that.

If something doesn't go as planned.... not crossing fingers because I saw them race and yes they had helmets & seatbelts on, perhaps next year we can change the rules slightly for A and B class a little bit more to enforce more of a 'stock-came-from-the-factory' set-up in regards to tubing. (spirit of racing and the vehcile :) )

I'm gonna take that discussion offline with Ricky and Dylan both.

someone wanted a smaller pic? her it is:
alh5.ggpht.com__TQrq1VUJHDA_SeI3EQNhV4I_AAAAAAAAFPc_nZ6BOXb_YXY_s400_DSC02213.JPG

It's goning to be my head on the line along with the guy driving it. Im not concerned about what would happen in the event of a roll. It wasn't made to flip and continue driving like trail rigs would be. It will take one good hit in the unfortunate event that it goes over, and both of us should be fine, but it will return to its journey to the scrap yard if it does happen.

I would say that it is atleast as safe if not safer than the M35 recently posted, and I would drive the snot out of either.

Yes it will be running water rather than antifreeze. (Why spend money on antifreeze for a vehicle with an expected life span of 1 summer) To our defense though, what is the difference in busting the radiator than say knocking a hole in a t-case, or breaking a trans cooler line, or everything that leaks out in any roll over? I know that I always make an effort to clean my spills up, does every other wheeler?

Im not looking to ruffle any feathers, but I don't see anything wrong with this thing other than possibly being stripped down and not really stock as the class suggests. It's my butt on the line here.

It's goning to be my head on the line along with the guy driving it. Im not concerned about what would happen in the event of a roll. It wasn't made to flip and continue driving like trail rigs would be. It will take one good hit in the unfortunate event that it goes over, and both of us should be fine, but it will return to its journey to the scrap yard if it does happen.
I would say that it is atleast as safe if not safer than the M35 recently posted, and I would drive the snot out of either.
Yes it will be running water rather than antifreeze. (Why spend money on antifreeze for a vehicle with an expected life span of 1 summer) To our defense though, what is the difference in busting the radiator than say knocking a hole in a t-case, or breaking a trans cooler line, or everything that leaks out in any roll over? I know that I always make an effort to clean my spills up, does every other wheeler?
Im not looking to ruffle any feathers, but I don't see anything wrong with this thing other than possibly being stripped down and not really stock as the class suggests. It's my butt on the line here.

Its your butt, but if you get killed, this will be the last race for all of us....

It will NOT survive one flop, it will crush and possibly injure you more than if it wasnt there....

just my .02

I would agree with the second statement if I weren't strapped in. And yes IT will not survive, hence the trip the the scrap yard, but we will.

Like I said before, I like it!! But would it really be that hard to just install 1 decent hoop at the B-post? Then it is at leas as safe as a M35.

I would agree with the second statement if I weren't strapped in. And yes IT will not survive, hence the trip the the scrap yard, but we will.

I don't understand this logic.
How can you *epxect* the vehicle to be totally broken, yet not be hurt yourself? will you be wearing a padded suit of armor or something?

How many apparently bad accidents have you seen, which everyone walked away? The cars dont live to drive another day, but the occupants do.

That being said, I know it's not really comparing apples to apples. Really all the 'cage' has to do is absorb the impact of flopping on its side and keep the rest of the XJ from sitting perfectly flat across its lid, not really all that hard. It is my no means meant to be able to take a hit and come out with only a little less paint.

How many apparently bad accidents have you seen, which everyone walked away? The cars dont live to drive another day, but the occupants do.

Plenty thanks to factory engineering which you have totally eliminated hence the concern.

Really all the 'cage' has to do is absorb the impact of flopping on its side and keep the rest of the XJ from sitting perfectly flat across its lid, not really all that hard. It is my no means meant to be able to take a hit and come out with only a little less paint.

my concern is that the trampoline tube snaps and impales you like a giant spear quite honestly...

But good luck :beer:

Thanks Dylan

He does meet the rules.
I agree with the spirit/mockery comment but I met the guys who brought that in and they said they have rolled it before... a few times if I can rmbr correctly. But I don't think that radiator will make it in a crash. But neither will most 'stock' vehicles, yall know that.

Rolled with the stock roof on. I've seen a couple of rolled xj's...the stock roof is far stronger than a largely unsupported and ungusseted trampoline hoop.

That being said, I know it's not really comparing apples to apples. Really all the 'cage' has to do is absorb the impact of flopping on its side and keep the rest of the XJ from sitting perfectly flat across its lid, not really all that hard. It is my no means meant to be able to take a hit and come out with only a little less paint.

You must not plan on going very fast? You think that 18ga cut-in-half door pillar has any structural integrity? There is no body at all above your chest level...when you flop and that cage folds out of the way but you're strapped in with a 5point harness...your head becomes the roll cage.
Certainly not trying to be a dick, but roll cages may get tweaked after a hard roll...but that doesn't make them one time use only.

Fwiw, I will bend you guys a b pillar hoop, weld some feet to it and bring it and the readywelder on the friday before the race "fer free" if you want to use it...

I SERIOUSLY doubt that it will hold up to a single roll. That stuff is super thin galvanized tubing with 1000 3/8" holes in it.

know that noone is trying to be a dick, but noone wants to see a racer get injured. Being tough and cool don't matter if you are lying in a morgue.

anyone got an old swingset taking up space????
:lol::lol:

Well regardless of how its setup it does technically pass the rules, and also bear in mind last year we let some dude with no windshield and a singe stock roll bar race, bad idea IMO, wasn't my call, but that's what liability waivers and insurance policies are for.

I don't wanna see anyone get hurt either but like I said, its his head, not mine. Besides we had like 4 dudes on ATV's crash at our last Drag race the other weekend, they don't have any protection at all, Off-Road Motorsports are inherently dangerous . . .

IMO if I were that dude might wanna take up the offer on the free roll bar

Back