Trampoline rollcage?

I don't wanna see anyone get hurt either but like I said, its his head, not mine. Besides we had like 4 dudes on ATV's crash at our last Drag race the other weekend, they don't have any protection at all, Off-Road Motorsports are inherently dangerous . . .

Someone kind of needs to step up on this. We'll all be in for hell if this poor sob gets impaled by a trampoline. That $h!t would be on every news station in the US just based on the stupidity factor.

Fwiw, I will bend you guys a b pillar hoop, weld some feet to it and bring it and the readywelder on the friday before the race "fer free" if you want to use it...

:Rockon:

Someone kind of needs to step up on this. We'll all be in for hell if this poor sob gets impaled by a trampoline. That $h!t would be on every news station in the US just based on the stupidity factor.
:Rockon:

Like I said in my post I agree he aught to take the guy up on the b pillar hoop.

But in all honesty until your in the business you don't really realize just how many people get hurt competing in Off-Road Motorsports all the time. Now that we have several racing circuits we are a part of, its crazy how very common place it is for people to leave events on stretchers.

Now as track owners/event managers yes we do have rules regulations, etc, to prevent these occurrences, but they still happen all the time. I don't mean to come across as a non caring dick, but like I said until I got involved in all these different Off-Road racing events I had no idea how common place injuries were, and used to hold the same concerns you guys do.

All that being said we are about to drop some coin to have our shutdown area for the dirt drag strip extended a hundred feet. We also put up a big log "railing" at that first turn by the lake on our 4x4cross track to prevent anyone from having to unnecessarily take a swim, so we do care about racer/competitor safety, I'm just making the point that it happens alot more than most of ya'll realize, not that its ok, but its a common place thing, especially in ATV racing.

But like I said, I agree, he aught to take the dude up on the free B pillar roll bar

I would say some of this depends on what the "support" bars/tube/pipe is made of. If those were crossbraced / made o out of decent strength material that cage would be stronger than expected.

The huge circle part though is really not much stronger than cardboard and MUCH sharper.

If I was them I would put in some triangulation on the existing supports to connect them all at the very least. AND take up the offer of the B hoop.

As far as all the comments about the stock XJ roofs...they are ONLY strong IF they still contain all the factory glass. I have seen a video out there where they dropped an XJ on its roof from a few feet up.

One had the glass installed, the other did not. The one with the glass held up, folks inside would have been ok. The one without any glass folded up flat.

Moral of the story was that the glass is actually part of the engineered structure/integrity. (This video was some part of training for glass installers / techs)

GoneMuddin1 - here is what I suggest.
Get an aluminum baseball bat, or better yet, 10 lb sledge. stand on a stool, and take a really big hard swing downard on that hoop. Then post up the pics.
If you are at all nervous about what this will do to the hoop, then this is clearly a problem - force of bat is nothing compared to weight of vehicle moving at speed. And clearly by the looks of it, a dent isn't going to be noticed.

perhaps tech-specs next year should be as intensive as NASCAR or rally cars or any other BIG time auto racing sport... JK
If we did that, then the little willis couldn't run with a cherokee and the V8's couldn't run with the sammies because of major differences in body/frame/engines... etc. etc.

This is more about driver ability with what you got in the class you're in.

I'm with Ricky on this one. There are injuries and yes even deaths in racing sports of all kinds even horse racing. We don't want to see our race on TV next weekend. Well we do but in a good way :)

GoneMuddin1: from what I can see, no one here is making this personal. I think we'd all like to see some more re-enforcement, something I don't think any of us were looking at during the pre-run on the orange rig.

We've got a week and a half. I can't weld or I'd volunteer to help.

I've personally seen a trampoline frame torn all to hell by a telephone line over a road. It was snagged by it while someone was transporting it in the back of a truck. Thisw happened at 15-20 mph since he suspected it might be to lowe He was a former employer. If that is allowed to run it while be a great shame and a testament to tha absolute disregered to the future of organized fourwheeling (insurance runs the game not us). Think alittle deeper at long term reprocussions, an injury from neglegence on anyones parts is still neglegence.

But in all honesty until your in the business you don't really realize just how many people get hurt competing in Off-Road Motorsports all the time. Now that we have several racing circuits we are a part of, its crazy how very common place it is for people to leave events on stretchers.

And just think how many more would go off on stretchers if any LEGIT racing organization allowed this type of JUNK to compete.

The funny/stupid thing here is the expierence of individuals who have wheeled and rolled so many times it isnt funny yet their concern for not only the individual in question but our long term sport is being dismissed. Hell Brax is even offering to help you out, I mean damn listen to us here man.
I would bet that if the other racers refused to race then the problem would be quickly corrected.
The pro-darwin side of me says " F-it go and be a dumbass" buit the concern for this event and the sport in general comes first. Believe me I am just as suprised about my conscience as anyone:flipoff2:

I greatly appreciate everyones concern; there are few other places where people would be willing to do such. I also value your oppinoins and experience, as there is always something that can be learned.

Im not dismising everything that has been said, but I still believe it will do what we intend it to do. However, Im not going to be so stubborn over some little thing that it prevents us from being able to compete. We'll se what we can do so that the organizers wont have to make as hard a call as this seems to have become.

I greatly appreciate everyones concern; there are few other places where people would be willing to do such. I also value your oppinoins and experience, as there is always something that can be learned.
Im not dismising everything that has been said, but I still believe it will do what we intend it to do. However, Im not going to be so stubborn over some little thing that it prevents us from being able to compete. We'll se what we can do so that the organizers wont have to make as hard a call as this seems to have become.

:beer: here's to keeping a good attitude.

Only thing I got to say is run what you brung, I think its your decision to make, as long as the organizers allow it, tear it up. Problem is there are too many democrats on this board that want bigger goverment and more regulations(just kidding). What happened to being responsible for yourself:beer:

In a sport that is underfire as 4 whelling is you got to be responsible for everyone. Because there actions will condemned (spelling?)us all ..

yep its just like I talked to Ricky about.
just because a whole lotta people get hurt and no one realizes it, when one is smart enough to lawyer up and sue...we all suffer

Rules say seat belts, does that mean I can go to Wal-Mart and buy a fat person belt and wrap it around myself and the seat?? It's a seat belt, like the rules say.

^ On that note do rules say roll bar must be made of metal?

What about a PVC roll cage

Or maybe one made off legos

Just for clarification, is everyone under the impression that the entire thing is made from an old trampoline/trampoline legs? The only portions of trampoline are the two main curved parts, and the two pieces in the A pillar area.

Just for clarification, is everyone under the impression that the entire thing is made from an old trampoline/trampoline legs? The only portions of trampoline are the two main curved parts, and the two pieces in the A pillar area.

I can only speak for myself.
But it is my understandiong that just the two large semi circular hoops with holes ever 2.5" are trampoline

I think what YOU are missing is that the roof and A/B pillars are structural parts of the car not JUST in rollover support but also in keeping the sides from caving in.

Hell one of my renters left a trampoline with no at one of my houses and grass and weeds grew all up threw it. Given the crap in the yard I didnt want to touch that crap and get attacked by a swarm of snakes so I wrapped a chain around the tramp and the 4wheeler rack (the little shit thin tube rack on the back of a honda atv) and tried to pull it out, the tramp frame creased ripping the grass off the bottom of the legs.

If you flop it it WILL NOT hold up and MAY shatter and skewer you.

so basically all the important parts....

This obviously not a dead topic yet and my last post was said in lunch time hury, so what I wanted to add. The material, even if it weren't a trampoline frame is insuficiant for the intended use. The excecution is also alittle lacking as far as engineering. As for flaming and bashing, most of this thread contains very little. It does however contain a vast amount of concern for all parties involved. As for rules, like laws, or building codes; they are only present to prevent those with less experience or judgement from hurting themselves or the whole. And like all things of this nature are often left with some bending room or inturpretation. I commend the effort and the outward thinking, and use of whats available. I however would be more impressed when someone owns up to making an error in judgement in relation to the build. I do not know or may probably never meet the builders and realize they could care less for my opinion or others, but with all sincerity please research, and rethink your approach for yourselves and others. Its like a joke I heard "Its all fun and games til' someone puts their eye out".

Back