Transmission shop recommendations

Makes sense. I've never studied AT that much...just know I had issues keeping a th350 together with limited cooler room and my builder told me to run this semi expensive Castrol blue fluid and if I did he would warrant it...5 rides, 4 of which were hard since and so far...knock on wood

I run the same Castrol blue, my builder says it will make one run 10% cooler, same shop if I had to guess

I run the same Castrol blue, my builder says it will make one run 10% cooler, same shop if I had to guess
Cowpens, sc ?

Bobby?

No fluid runs any cooler than the others.

uhh what?
Are you suggesting that all fluids dissipate and absorb heat the same?
So water and motor oil absorb the same heat?

What we are talking about isn't standard ATF....

uhh what?
Are you suggesting that all fluids dissipate and absorb heat the same?
So water and motor oil absorb the same heat?

What we are talking about isn't standard ATF....

what tom is referring to (not putting words in his mouth) is, the fluid itself doesn't run any cooler because it is being cooled by the same medium (coolant-air) the difference is it's ability to dissipate the heat.

what tom is referring to (not putting words in his mouth) is, the fluid itself doesn't run any cooler because it is being cooled by the same medium (coolant-air) the difference is it's ability to dissipate the heat.

Well yeah. But thats essentially saying the same thing.
Heat transfer property of fluid will effect the amount of heat absorbed from the hot metal and how quickly/easily it "gets rid of" that heat. Either way different fluids will have a different temperature under identical circumstances.

i didn't really finish my thought, was doing something else at the same time and walked back to the computer and just hit enter.

the fluids ability to dissipate the heat before losing it's "optimum" viscosity, is a major concern. since atf is essentially a hydraulic fluid, when the fluid heats to a certain temp (when it loses its "optimum" viscosity) it begins to foam, the introduction of air into the system creates a loss of prime in the pump. this also creates another dilemma, when the fluid starts losing it's viscosity, it atomizes quickly, causing the fluid to try to escape through the vent. since the trans isn't a closed system, the fluid atomizes and and basically turns into a gas, the gas goes out the vent, when the gas hits air it turns back into a fluid, then it's a leak.

Hey Ron! Pull your claws in brother! :D As far as small space concerns for a cooler... I have shot some lower temps with a "Turbinator" cooler. It swirls the fluid (internally) to constantly bring hot fluid to the surface of the cooler to improve the convection of heat into the heat sink and air flow. It wasn't a huge difference, but it was better than a stacked plate cooler. Baja guys have used them for years.

Back