Trying to get it mostly right the first time: A 5.9 and 46RE swapped Tummy Tucked Daily Driven Jeep TJ

dgoodwin10

The quick backstory: I’ve been into off roading since I was taken on my first trail ride in 2001 and have been hooked ever since. My actual wheeling experience had been limited to web-wheeling and riding shotgun with friends up until I graduated from Auburn in 2016 and bought a clapped out 2004 Yamaha Rhino with a +6" long travel setup. The Rhino was fun, but I’d still always wanted a Jeep and a friend’s 1997 TJ came up for sale in May of 2019 so I jumped on it.

This first post will bring you up to date from over 2 years of ownership and what led me to the build that’s about to start. There’s not too much real ‘tech’ to be had as much of this has been maintenance related and added creature comforts, but there’s a place for those things as well.

Spoiler Alert: Just so I don’t lose anyone right off the bat, the Rhino has been sold and there is a literal pallet full of parts and a 5.9L Magnum waiting to go onto the TJ as I’m typing this. But first, the history of my TJ:

I drove to Carrolton, GA with an empty trailer and pocket full of cash to pick the Jeep up in May of 2019. The Jeep was a 132k mile 97 TJ SE with the 2.5L and 5 speed. The PO had owned the Jeep since 2004 and had been mainly used as a grocery getter and hunting rig. The only modifications it had was 31x10.50 Kenda Klever MTs, 2.5" RC lift and a 3" body lift. Overall it was a pretty clean rust free TJ that needed some TLC. Here it is the day we brought it home:

01e49fa2c069f8b3431953826213538c4bb92fa3d7.jpg

015e8822cccc81d4ab447c4d7a696dc6990876abad.jpg

01dd46d9c26e652a66022f58850cc2c90b0cbb80f3.jpg

01720a737611ea0a4421f47bf21f98aadef33742de.jpg

I originally intended for this to be a reliable stock-ish daily driver and mild weekend toy. In my pursuit of that, the following has been done to the Jeep:

• ZJ rear disc brake upgrade to replace inoperable rear drums.
  • Replaced 3” body lift with 1.25” body lift
  • Painted the fender flares with Krylon Fusion satin black
  • Busted radiator fan shroud replaced with a Mishimoto electric fan
  • Barnes 4wd rocker guards and custom slider installed
  • Added a Superwinch TS9500 on an Amazon winch plate
  • Installed flush mount LED pods in the rear bumper
  • Installed new JVC KD-X35MBS
  • Installed Noico 80mil sound deadening
  • Replaced the horrendous Rough Country shocks with Rancho RS 5000X
  • Installed Polk DB652s in the dash and sound bar
  • Installed Moab wheels with 305/70 Toyo MTs
  • Bought and sold a hard top
  • Replaced the 9 year old Smittybilt top with a Bestop
  • New Cooper 305/70/16 STT Pros installed. (Best tire ever, IMO)
  • Installed Rugged Ridge Dash Multi Mount System
  • Installed Savvy transfer case shifter
  • Rebuilt the front drive shaft
  • Installed 1.25” Spidertrax wheel spacers
  • Installed Amazon Truck-lite knockoff headlights
  • Installed a full center console
  • Replaced the intermediate steering shaft
Here it is now:

01416e24fcd6421390326d2c6a79a0d70b7b6b9ea8.jpg

Early 2020 is where the Magnum part of this begins. Not long after buying the Jeep, my lovely wife makes a comment that she wishes it had an automatic transmission in it so she could drive it (she can drive a 5 speed but doesn’t really enjoy it). Like any good gearhead husband, I wasn’t about to pass up the opportunity to kill multiple birds with 1 stone and upgrade in the process. I pitched a V8 and automatic swap and was met with “Well, what are you waiting on?” Remember when I said I wanted to keep this Jeep mild-ish?

To be fair, the 2.5L and AX-5 is a reliable combination for a stock-ish Jeep and is good for backroads cruising but is painfully slow no matter which way you slice it. Initially, I wanted to swap in the spare 5.3 LM7 I had in storage, and while it had the ‘sexy’ appeal, it was a bit cost prohibitive (to do a bare bones LS swap decently well STARTED at $3500. The LS swap also doesn’t integrate with the Jeep electronics at all, so a lot of ‘adapting’ was needed to marry everything up. My research led me to the Magnum V8 Discussion thread on the other forum and the slippery slope that thread is. Combine the low cost of donor vehicles and the almost seamless integration of electronics and a lot of other OEM parts and I was immediately sold on the Magnum swap.

Since my Jeep is a 97 with the CCD bus, I was looking for 97-00 Rams, Durangos and Dakotas and even entertained Grand Cherokees. I preferred a donor Ram since I wanted to harvest the front axle for a solid axle swap I have planned on another vehicle, but had trouble finding one for a reasonable price.

I kept watch on FB Marketplace and found a 1999 5.9 Durango that ran and kinda drove for $500 in May of 2020.

013873e2b369a5c9fa19a621be2e2cd0047072b8ef.jpg

I was in the middle of a bathroom renovation, so the Durango was delicately unloaded in the back lot at work and parked while I got my ducks in a row (okay, at least in the same pond) for the swap.

014cf48875abe1f239f06879f1430de63f1996a343.jpg

After a few months my parking spot for the Durango had expired, so I needed to make it disappear. A perk of my job is access to equipment. A few sawzall blades and body bolts later:

01b2ac16eed7d9c29ace5216006fc136993c1142e8.jpg

Off to the scrap yard it goes! I wish I had the space to store the Durango and part it out but this was the best option.

0108726a165fc559c68560a49b68beccb360abef91.jpg

I labeled and removed the wiring harness and PDC (power distribution center) and only cut the harness where it passes through the firewall. I am planning to use the Durango harness as the base for the swap since I am going from a manual to automatic transmission.

012bb0c1a71a4c58f9af6938edb4420318681d1976.jpg

The trans has ‘12/04’ written in paint pen, so I am assuming it was rebuilt swapped in with a junkyard unit at some point and the missing bolts have me skeptical of its longevity. Y’all…my wife is a saint and lets me get away with far more shenanigans than should be allowed. The engine lived in our carport for a few days before I had a chance to take it to the farm to put in storage. I figured it needed time to get acquainted with the Jeep anyway.

014a1b347dbba99043a936223b1b367659db739539.jpg

I had plans to use my 2020 tax return to fund the swap, but the .gov decided I owed money that year, so the swap was put on hold and the Jeep went back to getting regular maintenance while we put some miles on it. We took it backroads cruising to the lake:

01871a9a36655028a3f130f30790e8be01d24f050f.jpg

We also took it down 600-1 in the Talladega National Forrest on the way to our anniversary weekend getaway at Pursell Farms in Sylacauga, AL. I didn’t get many good pictures since we caught the sunset and did most of the trail in the dark (not my smartest move, I’m aware).

015cae65b4dfafb75abf78ae927d30252e54c2c9e1.jpg
0164b0ef788b5b429825061bf875d00ea801be313b.jpg

Don’t worry, it’s about to get good.

Attachments

• 013fa2709e647a8de907ce544202eff0e101d80a58.jpg
    013fa2709e647a8de907ce544202eff0e101d80a58.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 150
My original plan was to take my annual bonus and swap the Magnum in around January 2022. This scope was limited to swapping the drivetrain and any required modifications in order to get it running and driving. But in August of 2021 I decided to sell off my Rhino, flip another Rhino and sell a CLEAN Honda Fourtrax 250 in an effort to build the best daily driver / weekend wheeler I could with that ‘pot’ of money. With my budget now close to 3x what I originally planned on, I now had the opportunity to set this TJ up as a capable DD now, but equip it to be taken to the next level later.

Will the TJ replace the Rhino in terms of capability? Absolutely not, and it isn’t meant to. I spent a lot of time thinking about how I was realistically going to use the Jeep and have let that guide my plans the entire way. This Jeep will be 90% daily driver and 10% weekend wheeler and I decided for my design criteria to be focused on using as many off the shelf OEM parts as possible so that it can be easily repaired in the event of a breakdown. I also chose to build around 33” tires and 4” total lift, which meant I could utilize the stock axles with without too much fear of breakage and they already had 4.10 gears, which should be perfect for this combo.

With the intended use, lift and tire size decided, here is how the build plan shook out. I’ll elaborate further on each item once I start that specific item:

• Swap in the 5.9 magnum and 46RE. Inspect and refresh as required. Upgrade as necessary.
  • Install transmission and power steering coolers and a transmission temperature gauge.
  • Install a SYE. Brand / style TBD.
  • Keep the stock short arm suspension and install adjustable control arms.
  • Install a Rockjock Anti-Rock sway bar.
  • Lift springs are TBD. I’ll weigh the TJ once it’s complete to figure out what I need.
  • Install new track bars, both fore and aft.
  • Tummy Tuck using either a Barnes or UCF skid plate with a custom transmission crossmember.
  • Install a full Bedrug carpet kit and Mastercraft Baja RS seats.
  • Upgrade the stock front bumper to either Barnes 4wd or Motobilt.
  • Install a subwoofer in the center console (because why not?).
  • Install a rear cargo rack and organize tool, cooler and luggage storage.
Admittedly, I love a spreadsheet so I created one to both keep track of this project and to hopefully serve as a good resource for someone else looking to do this swap. The latest draft can be found HERE.

At least go get an explorer 8.8 with 4.10s and swap it with an Artec truss. Please!

You're going to be doing sye and new driveshaft anyway. Now is the time.
I've been trying to ignore the fact that a D35 won't hold up behind a V8, much less my right foot but I know an axle swap is inevitable. Valid point on the driveshaft.

Time to tell the FB algorithms I want a 4.10 8.8 local to Birmingham...

I've been trying to ignore the fact that a D35 won't hold up behind a V8, much less my right foot but I know an axle swap is inevitable. Valid point on the driveshaft.

Find a set of SD axles and don't look back. Relatively cheap, plentiful and plenty strong enough right out of the box for what you're about to do. Just my $.02...YMMV

Pull a parts are full of explorers...

Find a set of SD axles and don't look back. Relatively cheap, plentiful and plenty strong enough right out of the box for what you're about to do. Just my $.02...YMMV
Overkill for 33" tires. Too wide and loss of ground clearance.

Sweet project. Just an FYI you came to the wrong place if you expected members to encourage moderation on a build. 🤣
I've been lurking around here long enough I'm surprised it took 7 posts for someone to mention one tons.

I've been lurking around here long enough I'm surprised it took 7 posts for someone to mention one tons.
I almost broke the board by recommending Toyota axles, but decided against that! :D

I recommend wheeling that thing for a while and going from there before going V8. Power opens up Pandora's box QUICK!! Plus wheeling a low power rig and not worrying about an accidental leg twitch exploding your rear axle and wondering how you will get it out of the woods and home is more fun than V8 rumbling.

more fun than V8 rumbling.
Yeah, I disagree with this part. Do the 8.8, then you don't have to worry too much about it. I'm running 35s with an LM4 (290hp 325tq) on a stock dana 44 (geared and locked but stock housing and shafts) and haven't broke it.... yet.

I recommend wheeling that thing for a while and going from there before going V8.

If this were a wheeling rig only I'd gear it down and rock out. Since this is primarily a DD, I'd like to not have to turn the air conditioner off each time I merge in traffic like I do with the 2.5. I even looked at a 4.0 swap, but its too close in time and money to not go for a V8.

Another vote for the 8.8 swap. Find a junkyard 4.10 axle and it won't be expensive to swap in. Could probably sell your d35 on marketplace to recoup some of the money.

You must be fun at parties... :D
Hahaha I knew I would get reactions out of that!! I'm a Toyota guy, we all like no power and 2,000,000:1 low ranges!!! :flipoff2:

I'm biased, I hate wrenching on my truck anytime, especially when I'm out wheeling!!

I intentionally waited on Black Friday deals to post since my budget needed all the help it could get. While browsing FB Marketplace one Friday at work, I happened up on this:

Facebook.JPG

This was a deal that I knew I couldn’t lose on so a guy did the right thing and grabbed some cash and the trailer and headed to TN to pick up another TJ. This was a clean titled, rust free 98 TJ with a 5.2L Magnum and 44RE transmission that had kinda been installed and then abandoned.

012e22e9b8db110e25172a2227644060fe4c454cdb.jpg

Why on earth did I buy this?

My TJ gets driven at least 50% of the time and is backup to my 2003 Silverado so I didn’t really want it down for months while I figure the swap out. This would allow me to mock the entire swap up (and probably get it running) before I put in my TJ. With the current state of the world I didn’t want to get halfway through the build and have something hold me up for weeks on end because its floating off the coast of California. I might even swap in the 5.2/44RE it came with and sell it as a running and driving Jeep. Probably not, but we’ll see. Worst case I can see the 98 TJ for what I paid for it.

Black Friday rolls around and I managed to snag some better deals than I expected since most of this stuff really doesn’t go on sale. Everything I ordered was either required to get it running and driving or was too good of a deal to pass up since I’d be buying it later anyway. The parts list I now have sitting at my house is:

Out of that entire list, only 1 package was lost (GC steering bracket) and the 2 Rock Jock items were a few weeks backordered. Everything else came pretty much on time.

Every forum I posted this on immediately asked when I was upgrading the D35. Point taken. I decided to quit ignoring the fact that my D35 rear was going to have a short life and found a 4.10 geared 8.8 local to me that I’m picking up on Friday. I weighed the option of a Super 35 kit against the 8.8 due to cost and aftermarket support.

I hope everyone had a merry Christmas and good new year.

My riding group hit a few roads in the Talladega National Forest the weekend before Christmas, the most notable being 600-1. It’s a scenic gravel road / light trail that runs from Sylacauga to Talladega and then from Talladega to Mt Cheaha.
0138296628bc5e1d99a810e9ced9c106e5337c6203.jpg

0198ea8e6450482214951916b52a3a74030f346a70.jpg

01e9a03dfc5e6608121cc6c45969ac6e498eebdfeb.jpg

The only real ‘obstacle’ we hit was this rock climb coming out of a creek crossing. Everything else was rutted out muddy roads.

01ecbb3f2e26c7dbc16b8f66f3d30c1c687d7c51a5.jpg

01b278b2162e09655fb357a22ca124f9b40901dc55.jpg

I also spent a minute over the Christmas holiday working on the Jeep. I got the Motobilt bumper, Custom Splice fairlead and Diamond winch line, Currie Rock Jock Anti Rock and Roadshock LED bar installed.

010d874e10e4f24c3102ec9db928fa71215c8d4d28.jpg

I installed the Anti Rock with the links as short as they’d go without trimming and set them on the middle hole as a starting point and will play with adjustments in time. I’ll get the angle of the arms dialed in once my final ride height and springs are selected. My first impression of the Anti Rock is positive and aligns with everything I’d read about it– The Jeep absolutely rides smoother and the added body roll was definitely noticeable on the first test drive but I got used to it quickly. It’s not anything I’d consider a negative – it’s just different. The decision to go with the AR came from not having the budget for a Sway Loc but wanting an upgrade over disconnects and still wanting some sway control when on the trails.

Looking forward to this v8 swap! Glad you figured out a rear other than the turdy 5. I was going to suggest a rubi 44.

I have a very similarly equipped rig to what you're building. Mine is a 2000 that started life as a 2.5L/AX-5 that I swapped a 5.9/46RE out of a 2001 Durango into. Ironically I sold this to the wife because she wanted an auto as well lol. If you have any questions along the way I'd be glad to help if I can.

I have a very similarly equipped rig to what you're building. Mine is a 2000 that started life as a 2.5L/AX-5 that I swapped a 5.9/46RE out of a 2001 Durango into. Ironically I sold this to the wife because she wanted an auto as well lol. If you have any questions along the way I'd be glad to help if I can.
Did you integrate the wiring or use a stand alone harness? I have a 94 1500 I want to swap in my 94 xj.

I wouldn't complain a bit if my wife took this rig over and I had to build another one! Appreciate it - I'll certainly post up when I have questions.
Did you integrate the wiring or use a stand alone harness? I have a 94 1500 I want to swap in my 94 xj.
Your install will be a wiring integration like mine and may actually be easier since your rig is an OBD1. When wiring this swap you can either start with the Jeep harness or the Dodge harness as the 'base' and which one you start with all comes down to the transmission. If you're keeping a manual transmission (either the stock AX-5/15 or upgrading), it seems to make since to use the stock Jeep harness as the base and add in the extra injector wires to the PCM plug. You may have a few sensors that need wires swapped around but the Factory Service Manual has a really good pinout chart for each plug and sensor that you can compare between the 2 vehicles.

If you're swapping manual to auto (or changing automatic transmissions) like I am you're better off to start with the Dodge harness. I *think* the only changes will be adding relays in the PDC to control the transmission and the Auto Shut Down feature. I'll likely start wiring this in the next few weeks and can can speak more educated to this after I've studied it. Its too cold to work outside. Give me 90*+ boating weather with 100% humidity over this cold mess any day.

I wouldn't complain a bit if my wife took this rig over and I had to build another one! Appreciate it - I'll certainly post up when I have questions.

Your install will be a wiring integration like mine and may actually be easier since your rig is an OBD1. When wiring this swap you can either start with the Jeep harness or the Dodge harness as the 'base' and which one you start with all comes down to the transmission. If you're keeping a manual transmission (either the stock AX-5/15 or upgrading), it seems to make since to use the stock Jeep harness as the base and add in the extra injector wires to the PCM plug. You may have a few sensors that need wires swapped around but the Factory Service Manual has a really good pinout chart for each plug and sensor that you can compare between the 2 vehicles.

If you're swapping manual to auto (or changing automatic transmissions) like I am you're better off to start with the Dodge harness. I *think* the only changes will be adding relays in the PDC to control the transmission and the Auto Shut Down feature. I'll likely start wiring this in the next few weeks and can can speak more educated to this after I've studied it. Its too cold to work outside. Give me 90*+ boating weather with 100% humidity over this cold mess any day.
My plan is to use the Dodge engine and transmission. Blot them up to my 203/205. If funds allow I'll swap the 203 for a NWF crawl box. Of course I'm at the very least a year out maybe two. I love to get in an see stuff for the education though. So looking forward to your post.

Back