Tubing bender

marty79

Looking to buy a tubing bender in next couple weeks and looking into something like this...
Pro-Tools MB-105HD Manual Tube Bender Deluxe Kit, Round Tubing, Pipe and Square

or this...
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai...hUKEwjI9fGu1PTjAhVBMt8KHS9zBTEQ2CkIyAI&adurl=

something similar to those are in my price range IF they will get the job done. It won't be obviously getting tons of use, mostly to build my roll cage and then maybe get into building some for others here and there. Not trying to waste money either so if someone's experience with such benders is negative, as I've seen with some models, I'll gladly stay away and save up more I reckon. Thanks for the input.

I noticed some of the ratcheting ones have good reviews but they don't come with dies and the stinkn' dies cost more than the bender LOL, go figure. So probably need to stay away from those.
I have noticed some come with aluminum dies, some with steel, some with cast Iron. Which ones are the good and the not so good? Thank you

The last one you posted [16 ton pneumatic] looks like the same Manual rig, I bought from Harbor Freight. I think They would also have this, Or you might price their bender, plus the air cylinder. But Note, it doesn't have any degree settings on it. You have to figure that out by some other means, or Trial.

I knew exactly what style the second one was before I even clicked on this thread ;)

2nd is NOT a tubing bender. It is properly called a "poop pipe discombobulator". Bends pipe (poorly), not tubing. They have their purpose, though. I have one.

The last one you posted [16 ton pneumatic] looks like the same Manual rig, I bought from Harbor Freight. I think They would also have this, Or you might price their bender, plus the air cylinder. But Note, it doesn't have any degree settings on it. You have to figure that out by some other means, or Trial.
So you can vouch for this type of bender as worthy of its cost and ability I take it. Thank you

sorry the other link didn't work. This one seems to be the best deal for the money
16 Ton Air Pneumatic Hydraulic Pipe Tube Bender Bending 8 Dies Included for sale online | eBay

I have the Horrible Freight version of this. It can be made to "work". Look up the YouTube videos. First take a nibbler to the die and make it fit the pipe better. Next duck tape your pipe on one end, climb on top of your shop with a bucket of wet sand and pack the pipe tight with a air hammer. Now that the pipe is full and HEAVY as hell tape the other end. The sand will keep the pipe from flattening out as you bend it. Also doesn't do well on anything more than 90°. Use a couple of the magnetic angle finders to measure the pipe. Lastly I bolted mine to a transmission jack so I could raise it off the floor to been longer sticks. Happy bending.

I have the Horrible Freight version of this. It can be made to "work". Look up the YouTube videos. First take a nibbler to the die and make it fit the pipe better. Next duck tape your pipe on one end, climb on top of your shop with a bucket of wet sand and pack the pipe tight with a air hammer. Now that the pipe is full and HEAVY as hell tape the other end. The sand will keep the pipe from flattening out as you bend it. Also doesn't do well on anything more than 90°. Use a couple of the magnetic angle finders to measure the pipe. Lastly I bolted mine to a transmission jack so I could raise it off the floor to been longer sticks. Happy bending.
Yeah I been seeing this kind of reviews. Why I'm trying to steer away from cheapo ones lol. Thank you

JD squared. American made and proven.

I personally own a bender that cost exponentially more. I would replace it with a JD Square with a air over hydraulic set up in a heartbeat......except for the buyers remorse I have now.

I've ran several brands. The Pro Tool is very similar but nowhere near as smooth and well made as the JD Squared.

My bender is made by Baliegh.

spend the money once on a good one and dont look back. if you buy the second one you will regret it as soon as you use it. if you cant afford the JD squared or similar look for a used one or wait until you can afford it.

I’ll let you rent my bender.

Vertical mount jd2 model 3
Air/hydro.

You'd probably need a die for your size tube.

Tube bending is/was the hardest thing for me to figure out. Learning curve can be steep and expensive.

Tube bender it self is a drop in the bucket for all that is needed to do good work.

A good notcher is vital.

I have been happy with my JD squared. They will let you pick up in person and give you a shop tour/hands on demo of the different benders. They are extremely nice folks to do business with. Every few months they do have 10% off.

I have the JD bender and love it. It’s been used, a lot and keeps on going. They are USA made in TN. Yes it is more $ than the pipe kinker that harbor freight sells but it works and is smooth.

Can vouch for the JD Bender. It works great!

I've ran several brands. The Pro Tool is very similar but nowhere near as smooth and well made as the JD Squared.
I'd really like to know more on this. 5 years ago the Protools was the go to. What has JD2 changed?

I have a JD2 model 4 with air over hydraulic and it is an awesome piece of equipment with great repeat-ability, once you get the hang of it.

Does anyone have any experience with Rogue Fab benders? By the time you add air/hydro to a JD it seems to be in the same ball park price wise. It looks like the ability to bend vertically would be beneficial in most cases, and they look to add small helpful details to the product such as cheat sheets for measuring and predetermined offsets for the clamping block. I've been researching benders as well so also looking to hear from others experiences.

Realistically, do you need air/hydraulic at initial purchase for a hobby/home fabricator and save some $$$? I’ve built probably 250 cages with mine without air/hydraulic, it’s easy enough with the ratchet system to not need air/hydraulic. But it sure is nice.

Love ya brother, but Imm have to call bullshit

I’ve built probably 250 cages with mine
The 0 just dropped in there, right?

250...that is... a lot.

Back