Two trailers behind one truck? NC law on this?

gmcjimmy88

What is the law for pulling two trailers behind one truck? I thought I seen somewhere that it was legal with certain guidelines being met? Something to the effect of the second trailer has to be lighter that the first, and the total package still has to be under your Max weight? Thge idea is my 20 foot with brakes on both axles (a 67 F-100 loaded on it), and then a tow dolly behind my 20 ft'er with a 2000 ford focus on it. I know this sounds crazy but just thinking of options. The best option is to get rid of my 20 footer and get a bigger trailer. Does anyone have any ideas on this. Thanks. BTW this will not be a normal daily driving option. This would be used only to move from N.C. to southern GA maybe. (no mountains and main road).

Regardless of how infrequently you think you might consider doing this, it's still a very bad idea. Haven't you ever had a single trailer you were pulling get a little squirrelly on you? Don't you think that would be damn near impossible to recover from with an extra trailer behind your first trailer, especially since it won't have any trailer brakes on the rear trailer? Your plan sounds like a quick and easy way to convert all of your vehicles into a large hunk of scrap metal lying on the side of the road.

it's perfectly fine from a safety standpoint with the proper setup (good sized tow rig, brakes on both trailers, etc...)

i believe the law in nc is that the first trailer has to be a 5th wheel/gooseneck. i'm not positive though. i do know it's legal, just not sure what the arrangement has to be.

Several months ago I passed a few dozen "fishermen"...

Most had huge CC duallies, 30'+ 5th wheels, & $100K Bass boats hung off the 5ers bumpers... figure they must have been registered elsewhere

it's perfectly fine from a safety standpoint with the proper setup (good sized tow rig, brakes on both trailers, etc...)

He wasn't talking about a proper setup, he was talking about using a tow dolly. I've never seen a tow dolly with brakes on it, so it seems sketchy.

For starters both trailers would have sway controls and Brakes on the second should not be a must since it is light.

I was asking about the legality on this not so much if people opinion.

Look at half the idiots towing a fullsize trailer with more weight on the trailer than the towrig weighs.

If both trailers meet state laws and are under the max weight it would be perfectly safe with the proper set-up. The main thing is I think the first trailer has to be a gooseneck of fith wheel. Thanks for the inputs.

He wasn't talking about a proper setup, he was talking about using a tow dolly. I've never seen a tow dolly with brakes on it, so it seems sketchy.
Several dollies have brakes installed.
Regardless of how infrequently you think you might consider doing this, it's still a very bad idea. Haven't you ever had a single trailer you were puling get a little squirly on you? Don't you think that would be damn near impossible to recover from with an extra trailer behind your first trailer, especially since it won't have any trailer brakes on the rear trailer? Your plan sounds like a quick and easy way to convert all of your vehicles into a large hunk of scrap metal lying on the side of the road.

As far as getting "squirly" this would be an improper load distrubution. There is a reason alot of people don't have this problem. It is called a proper set-up. This includes weighing the truck and trailer while loaded and moving the load around to get the proper weight distribution.

the 2nd trailer cannot be hooked stright to the first, the toung needs it own axle... I read that somewhere. If you look at the tractor trailers that how they are set up

Look at half the idiots towing a fullsize trailer with more weight on the trailer than the towrig weighs.

Huh?

You mean set up like a tractor trailer?

There is no way what you are discussing is safe. If you didnt want to her the truth why post the question.

Next time just type I wish to injure myself, do you agree.

No one will argue with you.

BTW, how exactly do you distribute the weight on a dolly? :popcorn::

No I mena people driving around. Why is it not safe is the question? Just because it is not done regularly does not make it unsafe. hell jumping from an airplane is unsafe without a shute. It is in the set-up that makes it safe or un-safe.

Next time just type I wish to injure myself, do you agree.

No one will argue with you.

BTW, how exactly do you distribute the weight on a dolly? :popcorn::
A full trailer not a dolly
I did not know I said I would distribute weight on a dolly? I guess some people just want an argument?

I posted a thread a while ago about using a long trailer as a 'long tow dolly' basically put 1-1/2 vehicle on it.. No one seemed to be able to find anything legal about not doing it..

Vs towing what your proposing. There are definitely laws against/about towing doubles in most states.

Your asking about it but it sounds like your already set on doing it. Pulling a small jet ski or fishing boat isn't the same as a 2nd car on a dolly.

No I mena people driving around. Why is it not safe is the question?

Your premise is that it is unsafe because the load outweighs the tow vehicle, I was merely pointing out 18wheelers share this same arrangement.

A full trailer not a dolly
I did not know I said I would distribute weight on a dolly? I guess some people just want an argument?

No, Sorry but your deductive reasoning skills seem to be failing, or you just want to argue.

Lets go back in the thread:
Your initial question was about a towrig,a trailer and then a tow dolly
1st Roughsod said haven't you ever had a trailer get squirrely and imagine how much the problem would be compounded by having two trailers
THEN you replied trailers get squirrely due top improper load balancing
So I asked how you were going to properly load balance the dolly. if you cant then how will you keep it from getting squirrely.

Im not looking for an argument, I have a wife and 2 kids in the other room if I wanna argue... But you ask an opinion and then berate everyone for sharing and seem hell bent to do what you want anyway.

I do see you are looking for a longer trailer in another thread, maybe you are getting smart

Your premise is that it is unsafe because the load outweighs the tow vehicle, I was merely pointing out 18wheelers share this same arrangement.

This is very true. I thought you were trying to compare a 2500/3500 truck to an 18 wheeler. They are more desinged to do this though. To outweigh themselves. I was merely saying that the total package would be under my max weight if/when it was done.

I apoligize if I seemed like an a$$ before. That is not what I wanted by any means. I guess after reading over the entire post my typing wasn't the same as my thinking. I was wanting the Legal aspect of it not whether people think it is ok or not. Everyone has there own opinion about things, I was looking for facts of if it is legal and possible.

The issue is that the towed vehicle(s) will probably exceed 10,000 lbs so the Class A with T endorsement is required. Thats just the way I interpret it. That does not make it correct in this case. I do believe that doubles are restricted to interstates also.

[Sorry in advance, this is an asshole statement]

If you know all the answer, why the hell ask?

fyi, you can get a non commercial class A. that is probably what you would need, with the T endorsement.

i see no reason this wouldn't be okay as long as you're using a 1 ton or better tow rig and brakes on both trailers (or dolly). it's a fairly common setup in other states for people towing travel trailers + atv's or a boat, etc.

I am almost certain that pulling a double trailer is prohibited in NC. Only about half the states allow it, mostly out west. Call DMV.

i've seen in quite a few times. i saw a dually, travel trailer, then a small trailer with a golf cart. then the same thing with a boat.

Back