Two trailers behind one truck? NC law on this?

i've seen in quite a few times. i saw a dually, travel trailer, then a small trailer with a golf cart. then the same thing with a boat.

Must be ok then.......

I've seen a guy rob a bank, some one else beat the hell out of his wife, and Big Ricky tow.........:shaking:

That must all be ok to..... I seen it with my own eyes :rolleyes:

wonder how backing would be w/ 2 trailers behind you...

Easy..... YOu don't, You on hook one trailer and back it then hook to the other and back it.
Just like a tow dolly, you don't dack them it will bind them up.
Sure you can back a few feet but it will start to bind and puts a lot of stress on the hitch and tie down points on the platform. Best thing is to use your head and not do anything that you would need to back up with a dolly, that's what people I have talked to that pull dual do.
J

Yeah My B-I-L pulled dubs for a few years, he always said if you had to back straight up, like to a dock, you were Ok, if you had to get trickier than that it was all about luck.

Yet Ive seen him turn them around corners and such, guess some are luckier than others.

BTW this is with REAL dubs and a dolly set up not behind a pick up

I copied this from another forum:

This is fairly accurate, but always check with each state:

AZ (only with 5W, with certain qualifications)
AR
CO (total max. length 70 feet)
D.C. (surprisingly no restrictions)
ID (total max. length 75 feet)
IL (only 5W, total max. length 60 feet on certain highways)
IN (total max. length 65 feet)
IA (total max. length 70 feet)
KS (total max. length 65 feet)
KY (total max. length 65 feet)
LA (total max. length 70 feet)
MI (total max. length 60 feet on certain highways)
MN (total max. length 60 feet on certain highways)
MS
MO (some exceptions or restrictions, total max. length 65 feet)
MT (total max. length 70 feet)
NE (total max. length 65 feet)
NV (total max. length 70 feet)
NM
ND (total max. length 75 feet)
OH (total max. length 65 feet)
SD (only with 5W, with certain qualifications, total max. length 75 feet)
TN (total max. length 65 feet)
TX (total max. length 65 feet)
UT (some exceptions or restrictions, total max. length 65 feet)
WI (total max. length 60 feet on certain highways)
WY (total max. length 85 feet)

States Where Towing Triples is NOT Legal, Period: AL, AK, CA, CT, DE, FL, GA, HI, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OR, PA, RI, SC, VT, VA, WA, WV

Canada is covered too. Some provinces allow it, others don't.

When in doubt and not wanting to be involved in an accident where you are deemed to have been towing illegally, thus possibly contributory or the primary cause of the accident, contact the state's department of motor vehicles.

PS: The states of CT, GA, MA, NC, PA and RV have a 2-vehicle combined maximum length limit of 60 feet. MD is 55 feet and NJ is just 50 feet.

Source: Coast to Coast Magazine, July-Aug., 2006, "Rules of the Road and
Towing Laws," pp. 56-57.

I have tried to contact the department of vehicles state police sherriffs dept. and anyone else I could think of. Know one has been able to give me a straight legal answer. Most say if it is under the max weight roll with it. I do not think that would hold up in court if it was illegal.

Appreciate the offer. I am trying to sell my 67 F-100 now so I will be able to carry/hual them all once it is sold.

I am now more curious as to the exact legality of the whole thing. I have yet to get a straight answer from the state/government. Oh well I guess Should not need it anymore.

Appreciate the offer. I am trying to sell my 67 F-100 now so I will be able to carry/hual them all once it is sold.
I am now more curious as to the exact legality of the whole thing. I have yet to get a straight answer from the state/government. Oh well I guess Should not need it anymore.

You need to call DMV enforcment and talk to a DMV LEO.
That is who you need to talk to not joe blow.... Most all the time that is who is called when local PD or others have you pulled you and need info.
Also would need to know the laws for all the states if you plan on towing in them. They will tell you what you need and how to do it. If you look at the big rigs that do it that is the only way you can and it needs to be on major roads only. You need two real trailers, one tow rig and one hitch truck (the set of wheels that tie the first trailer to the second with brakes and a 5th wheel hitch. Also the tow rig must have a 5th wheel hitch.
Also you must remember that you sometimes see rigs on the roads that are taged in other states and towed in NC and because of the fed DOT they can, On Fed funded roads.
IF you think about it, it would be like us going to a different state with window tent or larger tires and getting a ticket. IF it is OK in the state you are from, then it is good to go. They do have the rule books and can check, so could ticket you for stuff that is wrong in there state if its wrong in yours to, Like window tent. Ask me how I know... I had to pull mine on the side of the road..... mirror tint is a no no but that was in the late 80's Ohio and NC

I spoke to the head of roughly 3-4 DMV enforcement, registering, titleing, and who knows what else. I also spoke with the local county Sherriffs office, State police, and a few trailer sales places around. Everyone can say yes your legal or no your not but nobody I have spoken to can refer me to anything in writing which is what I am looking for. I do not want someones interpretaion of the law I want it in black and white. I was hoping someone on here has looked into this and already for the info. or could refer me to an individual that had the info. Most everything I have found for SC and GA are limited to the same lack of information.

I spoke to the head of roughly 3-4 DMV enforcement, registering, titleing, and who knows what else. I also spoke with the local county Sherriffs office, State police, and a few trailer sales places around. .
YOur not talking to the correct people....

registering, titleing, and who knows what else. I also spoke with the local county Sherriffs office, State police, and a few trailer sales places around. .
They have nothing to do with anything.........
You need to call raleigh DMV enforcement/inspector and ask for one of the head or lead people and tell them you want GS numbers and want to know how to get a copy of the law.
He read me the info and the GS when I was getting the info but #1 I don't have a 5th wheel and #2 Inot going to build a truck with brakes and a 5th wheel and two 5th wheel trailers. I hear they changed it to the first being a 5th and the second can be a ball but I still out, not 5th wheel.....

Back