URE is kinda pointless to visit anymore

With no education, and no enforcement of the rules, I think many times folks don't even realize they're "off trail".

The place has definitely changed since I started going there in 1990. I absolutely hate the guard rail too, and don't think it belongs on a trail system, but if that is what someone in the FS thinks is necessary to keep the trails open, then I'll deal with it.

Agreed. I see the guardrails as what is needed because people don't take responsibility for their actions and don't think about the future of our national forests. We all have a voice. It shouldn't just be from behind a computer screen. IF you see someone at Uwharrie doing something that is unacceptable, you should confront them about it and make sure that they realize that this is a privilege and will not be available to us in 10yrs if we don't care for it now or think about the future of the park. Everyone reading this thread should have the same mindset if you are upset about these changes. The few that hurt the park are truly hurting us all. I will never complain about the timber coverings on washed out run offs or the guardrails. I was there last weekend and I actually thought they were nicely built and didn't look too bad at all. If that is what they must do to keep the trails open, add more guardrails. Just think, everytime you see a guardrail or altered surface, that is where the most of the issues are arising and you should be conscious of that. Maybe we all need that "ugly" visual reminder to do what is right and take action against those littering and/or defacing the trails that we all enjoy so much.

Uwharrie is a great park with great amenities and we are all very fortunate to have it. If you don't like it, don't come. Let those of us who enjoy it and appreciate it utilize the trails and facilities. :D

I know that all the people who go out and work on there own time, UNF is very close to there heart. I hate the FS holding closing trails over your our head, it's fear based. If a trail gets wider in a big picture, think about it we are still in a forest. I'm not trying to stir the pot here and everyone who has spent time on work days, thank you. the next thing that will happen with those rails so close to the trail will be a bike or atv crashing and getting hurt when they hit it...... yes they might hit a tree anywhere else. I don't know anymore.
P.S. I have been there for work days and it was a cluster, so don't say come see or whatever

P.S. I have been there for work days and it was a cluster, so don't say come see or whatever
Ummm,you don't need to be part of a "cluster" to make a difference.Last November,I ran across an old man on a little 4wheeler that,like me,was out enjoying the forest all alone on our respective rigs.He was trying to navigate his 4wheeler and carry a full bag of trash he had gathered while on Dutch John. I shook his hand,and hauled his garbage out with me while he struck out with an empty bag to gather more.I picked up trash too. There was no "cluster"to what he was doing. He was trying to make a difference however small it was.

Uwharrie is a great park with great amenities and we are all very fortunate to have it. If you don't like it, don't come. Let those of us who enjoy it and appreciate it utilize the trails and facilities. :D
You spoke volumns in 3 sentences me friend.

All of us and all of you can make a difference. I have read a lot of good points in this thread. I suggest that we all take a part in helping to provide the education that many so desperately need. When you witness a violation or someone leaving the marked trail and traveling illegally through the woods or around a hard spot...stop them. always start the conversation by introducing yourself and asking their name...(remember it write it down when you get back in your rig, keep a list with dates, locations and names)...begin by complimenting or asking a question about their rig...strike a conversation. Then ask if they have heard of Tread Lightly, Blue Ribbion, SFWDA, UFWDA or other then, explain that folks work hard on a regular basis to keep the trails open for their use. Talk about the Tread lightly program and let them know you do not appreciate it when someone else could cause you to lose the system that you enjoy. Take advantage of the open carry option in the forest and be visible. Act as though it is your property to protect (because it really is). The many times I have applied this philosophy I have been amazed at how folks will listen intently and seem to understand the need to protect the system and travel the marked trails.

One on one messages will do more to educate and help folks understand.

Thanks for all of your concern and help to keep trails alive for our use and our children's use and enjoyment.

Director, SFWDA Land Use and Conservation.

All of us and all of you can make a difference. I have read a lot of good points in this thread. I suggest that we all take a part in helping to provide the education that many so desperately need. When you witness a violation or someone leaving the marked trail and traveling illegally through the woods or around a hard spot...stop them. always start the conversation by introducing yourself and asking their name...(remember it write it down when you get back in your rig, keep a list with dates, locations and names)...begin by complimenting or asking a question about their rig...strike a conversation. Then ask if they have heard of Tread Lightly, Blue Ribbion, SFWDA, UFWDA or other then, explain that folks work hard on a regular basis to keep the trails open for their use. Talk about the Tread lightly program and let them know you do not appreciate it when someone else could cause you to lose the system that you enjoy. Take advantage of the open carry option in the forest and be visible. Act as though it is your property to protect (because it really is). The many times I have applied this philosophy I have been amazed at how folks will listen intently and seem to understand the need to protect the system and travel the marked trails.

One on one messages will do more to educate and help folks understand.

Thanks for all of your concern and help to keep trails alive for our use and our children's use and enjoyment.

Director, SFWDA Land Use and Conservation.

I'm not sure that be visible with a firearm is the right approach. What does having a weapon have to do with this subject?

I was out saturday and something occured to me.

When we talk about enforcement of the rules,we always hear that there aren't any Rangers available, funding is not there, etc.

But I see all this money that has been spent to put up guard rail, fencing, rip rap, gravel etc. How much did it cost to get all the rock/gravel purchased, delivered, spread etc?

It seems that if "we"/they spent the money on enforcement, we wouldn't have many of the issues we currently face. I don't udnerstand why we spend money to repair the trails instead of putting some Rangers out there to keep people in line.

If I saw someone getting a ticket for riding off trail, drinking or whatever that would be a dterrent. But everyone knows they can do whatever they want out there with little or no consequences.

I was out saturday and something occured to me.

When we talk about enforcement of the rules,we always hear that there aren't any Rangers available, funding is not there, etc.

But I see all this money that has been spent to put up guard rail, fencing, rip rap, gravel etc. How much did it cost to get all the rock/gravel purchased, delivered, spread etc?

It seems that if "we"/they spent the money on enforcement, we wouldn't have many of the issues we currently face. I don't udnerstand why we spend money to repair the trails instead of putting some Rangers out there to keep people in line.

If I saw someone getting a ticket for riding off trail, drinking or whatever that would be a dterrent. But everyone knows they can do whatever they want out there with little or no consequences.

This is the government we are dealing with. They have budgets for everything. The way it was explained to me when I asked was they look at the number of trail passes and users in the forrest and base the number of enforment off this. They also look at the number of issues or violations there. So its a double edged sword, we bitch and complain and we get more eyes looking at us. Also remember that they have to look after the bike guys, horsemen, boating and hikers so there is more there than most see.....

This is the government we are dealing with. They have budgets for everything. The way it was explained to me when I asked was they look at the number of trail passes and users in the forrest and base the number of enforment off this. They also look at the number of issues or violations there. So its a double edged sword, we bitch and complain and we get more eyes looking at us. Also remember that they have to look after the bike guys, horsemen, boating and hikers so there is more there than most see.....

That makes some sense. My question is, is it better to spend the money up front on enforcement or on the back end fixing shit, closing trails, rerouting trails, blocking off spiders, etc?

I am still trying to set up a meeting in Ashville to talk about a few things . Like this also.

heck a sammi on 235s locked out back is a good time and can do most everything in 2wd

scared to death!!!!!

I never got an answer to this question.

It will prevent most altercations, it will make most think twice about the next move they are going to make. That's just my take on it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

That can happen regardless if you are carrying or not.

It will prevent most altercations, it will make most think twice about the next move they are going to make. That's just my take on it though.

If those are our objectives, then perhaps we should just draw on anyone we don't think is following the rules.

I'm all about guns. I have my CWP and I use it, but for someone who should no better to recommend subtle intimidations seems irresponsible to me.

If those are our objectives, then perhaps we should just draw on anyone we don't think is following the rules.

I'm all about guns. I have my CWP and I use it, but for someone who should no better to recommend subtle intimidations seems irresponsible to me.

Just because you have a weapon and your correcting irresponsible behaviors, gives no reason to draw your weapon.
Carrying a weapon is not about intimation subtle or not. This is about self preservation, if a person is intimidated it's their own fears.

If correcting behaviors carrying a weapon or not one should always choose their words carefully as to not offend. They should also work in pairs so there is a witness in case of a altercation.

Remember you can speak as nice as possible, however not be heard as such..

or just shoot them all "dead men tell no tales" after you shoot a few the others will get the point

scared to death!!!!!

or just shoot them all "dead men tell no tales" after you shoot a few the others will get the point

scared to death!!!!!

Lol, no wonder you are "scared to death":eek:

Just because you have a weapon and your correcting irresponsible behaviors, gives no reason to draw your weapon.
Carrying a weapon is not about intimation subtle or not. This is about self preservation, if a person is intimidated it's their own fears.

If correcting behaviors carrying a weapon or not one should always choose their words carefully as to not offend. They should also work in pairs so there is a witness in case of a altercation.

Remember you can speak as nice as possible, however not be heard as such..

I don't follow you. And I'm not sure you're following me.

Okay, I'm with you guys on keeping the trails open. And to be quite honest I get tired of the bed of my truck stinking cause we pick up when we are there. So we try to do the right thing even when it sucks. I just want to say the gun thing won't work on everyone. To put it lightly, an exposed weapon is too abrasive for someone like me to respond in a positive way.

In my opinion you need to start a park/neighborhood watch. Take pics on the trail of people who aren't following rules, catching them in the act. Turn them over to the ranger to give tickets. You wouldn't need to approach these people. pics would be stronger than a gun. There's not much arguing that can be done when there's proof. Even if you don't start a watch group, setting up a way to turn over proof/pics to the FS that someone is screwing up could be powerful in itself. Like setting up a photobucket acct to post pics and video on that the FS checks out periodically.

Would the FS do anything with the pics? Can they if they want to? Do they want to?
I would guess no on all the above. The only thing I think would work would be for the FS, if they are authorized to do so which they should be, to ticket violators. The tickets would have to have a fine, say a minimim of $50. Take people's money and it is amazing how fast they follow rules. This is not going to happen because of budget cuts and lack of manpower to do this. It would be easier for the FS just to shut the place down and spend their time counting chipmonks.

Back