USPS Shipping Rates

OnlyOneDR

Wow I just got a shock. I sent a pile of boxes well before Christmas and paid the "normal" rates for Priority Flat-Rate and some standard Priority. I went to ship a part today and found that the price I estimated before Christmas (the guy took forever to pay me) tripled. A 14# box, fairly small dimensions, is now $53 when I ran the estimate at $15 in early December. I guess the USPS is trying to get some of that overtime money back. Fortunately I am able to shoe-horn it into a Large Flat Rate and get it back down to $21.

Typically I always make out better shipping normal Priority instead of Flat Rate. Not today...

On anything over a half pound or so, just use UPS. Its faster, cheaper, and comes with a reasonable chance of arrival.

Plus you can pre-make the label and pay at home and just drop the package off, no waiting or talking etc.

EDIT - make that anything over an ounce or WTFever a stamp covers.

Large flat rate is up to $17.50 and Med flat rate is $12,50 use em both almost daily.For me Fed-ex is waaaay better than UPS.Ebay gives me a considerable cut on shipping from all three over just walking in and doin it thru the local branches.

USPS sucks. My mail has been all over the place with the holidays and them working half staff with COVID. I personally think we should ditch the postal service and privatize it. They’re a drain on the economy anyway.

USPS sucks. My mail has been all over the place with the holidays and them working half staff with COVID. I personally think we should ditch the postal service and privatize it. They’re a drain on the economy anyway.
Tonya shipped out a bunch of stuff before Christmas and some of it just dissapeared.No signs of movement for days/weeks.One package left on the third of Dec and was finally delivered on the 2nd of Jan.

Tonya shipped out a bunch of stuff before Christmas and some of it just dissapeared.No signs of movement for days/weeks.One package left on the third of Dec and was finally delivered on the 2nd of Jan.
It took 23 days to mail a letter to Virginia. Mailed it December 1st, it arrived on the 23rd. They mailed me something back around Christmas, I got it this past Saturday.

The UPS lady said she dropped a Christmas card in the mail at the Greeneville TN Post office that was going to Chuckey TN,thats about a 30 min trip ON A DONKEY,Took it 18 days.

Large flat rate is up to $17.50 and Med flat rate is $12,50 use em both almost daily.For me Fed-ex is waaaay better than UPS.Ebay gives me a considerable cut on shipping from all three over just walking in and doin it thru the local branches.
I have heard from other sources that ebay has the best rates for shipping. If you dont mind sharing, what is the associated cost to use ebay shipping rates? I assume you have to complete a sale on the site to get the rates?

Who do you guys use for big, heavy stuff, like a 80 year old 600 lb motor? I tried UPS for a quote online but I don't know enough about what class it would fall under so my quote was hopefully a touch high at $3100 🥺

The UPS lady said she dropped a Christmas card in the mail at the Greeneville TN Post office that was going to Chuckey TN,thats about a 30 min trip ON A DONKEY,Took it 18 days.
I'm sure she's not biased.... lol

Who do you guys use for big, heavy stuff, like a 80 year old 600 lb motor? I tried UPS for a quote online but I don't know enough about what class it would fall under so my quote was hopefully a touch high at $3100 🥺
Fastenal does freight service between their locations

YRC freight

Fastenal does freight service between their locations

I did look online at them, but they aren't shipping to the west coast right now.

I have heard they stopped alot of the store to store shipping cuz of COVID.
Correct. I tried to use them for something back in December and got pretty far down the quote process before they said that basically they weren't doing 3PL (third party logistics) out of any stores west of the Rockies.

I have heard from other sources that ebay has the best rates for shipping. If you dont mind sharing, what is the associated cost to use ebay shipping rates? I assume you have to complete a sale on the site to get the rates?
yeah thats it.Before you could go in and edit the shipping info on an old transaction and print another label to a new (different customer) address.You cant do that anymore.Mercari has the best shipping but you have to sell on their site and its only for items sold there.Tonya has sold alot on there.They use Fed-ex and it's rated by the pound.Example 0-10 lbs is a certain rate 11-20 another and so on.They do not ask for dimensions.Dimensional weight is the killer.MIght not weigh much but its in a big box ='s $$$$$

Big stuff I've used R&L carriers and Old Dominion.OD is alot pickier about crating/palletizing.Both are typically cheaper (or have been in the past) if you drop off at the terminal versus them sending a truck out to you.

yeah thats it.Before you could go in and edit the shipping info on an old transaction and print another label to a new (different customer) address.You cant do that anymore.Mercari has the best shipping but you have to sell on their site and its only for items sold there.Tonya has sold alot on there.They use Fed-ex and it's rated by the pound.Example 0-10 lbs is a certain rate 11-20 another and so on.They do not ask for dimensions.Dimensional weight is the killer.MIght not weigh much but its in a big box ='s $$$$$
Do you think that it's still cost effective for shipping, once you include the cost to "sell" the item there?

Do you think that it's still cost effective for shipping, once you include the cost to "sell" the item there?
The buyer pays the shipping so I never see it.As much as I hate ebay at times its a necessary evil for me.Outside of maybe the Market place there's no where I can reach as many people as E-bay and I can get more money there than anywhere else,

Back