Uwharrie Proposed Closures

I absolutely agree with you that the wheelers cause it. The same think has happened to the right of the Daniel Ledge and the multiple lines after the switchbacks.

My point was, temporary closures for healing are one thing, but has a closure ever been temporary at Uwharrie? Has anything that's been closed or rerouted ever been reopened?
There as been a couple of reroutes that I can recall.

EVERYONE needs to remind themselves this is a national forest and not an offroad park. The trail system is in bad shape due to poor management, planning and over use without temp closures to ruts and wash outs to heal and fill back in naturally and manually.
Lets put this in the lime light where it needs. Over use.... With the closure of Tellico. 2007 URE has been a downward spiral. Unless they open more miles in other places. Telllico, never going to happen. Brown Mountain, I think there is one jeep trail there? URE is the go to place in the GA, FL, NC, and SC area. So until the South East opens more areas to wheel URE is going to be abused and over used. With the advent of every redneck and their brother having sxs's URE and wheeling in the south is doomed. Unless there is a change to open more trails. /rantoff

I absolutely agree with you that the wheelers cause it. The same thing has happened to the right of the Daniel Ledge and the multiple lines after the switchbacks.

My point was, temporary closures for healing are one thing, but has a closure ever been temporary at Uwharrie? Has anything that's been closed or rerouted ever been reopened?
I've been going to uwharrie since 1990. I've never seen a trail closed, then reopen.

I've never been to Uwharrie as I've only had my Flat Fender running for a few months and I'm still shaking it down. I was hoping to hit UWE for the first time this year, but dang all the threads in this forum just make it seem like an overcrowded PITA.

I've never been to Uwharrie as I've only had my Flat Fender running for a few months and I'm still shaking it down. I was hoping to hit UWE for the first time this year, but dang all the threads in this forum just make it seem like an overcrowded PITA.
A friend of mine is doing a flat fender group ride up there May 6-8.

, but dang all the threads in this forum just make it seem like an overcrowded PITA.
Mon-thur it's dead. Great time to ride a dirt bike and cover all the trails in 45 min

I've been going to uwharrie since 1990. I've never seen a trail closed, then reopen.
But when's the last time you went? That place is beat to shit, an erosion poster child. Trucks, jeeps, sxs......honestly just tear the place up, with the amount of traffic in there it'll never "heal". I've been going there since the 80's, if you could see the progression of the damage you might have a better handle on just how extensive it is. I'm amazed and happy every year it opens, hopefully it will be for a long time, but it looks like the writing is on the wall.

But when's the last time you went? That place is beat to shit, an erosion poster child. Trucks, jeeps, sxs......honestly just tear the place up, with the amount of traffic in there it'll never "heal". I've been going there since the 80's, if you could see the progression of the damage you might have a better handle on just how extensive it is. I'm amazed and happy every year it opens, hopefully it will be for a long time, but it looks like the writing is on the wall.
Yep. I've seen it just since 2002. Is why I tried for a while really hard to help. I still want to help with the trials but it's hard to get away now days especially to be up there at 9 am. Only thing that will help is more trails or places to ride. It does not have to be URE. The forest service has lots of places they could have trails. SC and NC just don't have as many private places either any more.

It has been a while since my last visit to Uwharrie. My point is I've seen them close trails and reroute them, but never go back and reopen a previously closed section. I've also seen first hand how quickly the forest will take back an unused trail. A few years or so go by and you can hardly tell a trail was there.

It has been a while since my last visit to Uwharrie. My point is I've seen them close trails and reroute them, but never go back and reopen a previously closed section. I've also seen first hand how quickly the forest will retake an unused trail. A few years or so go by and you can hardly tell a trail was there.
Kodak rock
IMG_20211227_100019500_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211227_095743395_HDR.jpg

I've been orbiting around keeping and eye on this subject, both on the Facebook page and here;
Is there anything anyone can do to prevent the inevitable?
I've always wanted to build a rig to go wheeling since URE is only about 45 minutes/an hour away.

I hear old timers talk about being able to go to local rock pits around here, ride around people's tracts of lands and the story always seems to have end the same; people took advantage of it and got it taken away. I hope URE sticks around for a while at least.

I've been orbiting around keeping and eye on this subject, both on the Facebook page and here;
I've always wanted to build a rig to go wheeling since URE is only about 45 minutes/an hour away.

I hear old timers talk about being able to go to local rock pits around here, ride around people's tracts of lands and the story always seems to have end the same; people took advantage of it and got it taken away. I hope URE sticks around for a while at least.
I've been hearing people say for almost 20 years that Uwharrie is going to close the ORV trails. Build a rig.

Speaking of..where Dem progress pics?
I want to wheel, I just don't want to build the rig.

This is what I need to do, and am getting closer to doing:

Coming from Illinois where the closest rock to drive over was 8hrs one way away and where I still built a rock crawler I find this, and this whole thread kind of interesting. Yes URE is nice to have around, but there is a shit load of parks within a 4-5hr drive (at least where I am at) and I'm like a damn kid in a candy store since moving down here. Yea my truck is over built for URE, I still enjoy going there, but there is so much hard wheeling in this part of the country. Build a rig and drive a few extra hours to hit the other parks around to keep those places open and spend some $$$ in those towns while you are there. Do what we can to keep URE open, but it's not the end all be all of destinations.

My .02

Coming from Illinois where the closest rock to drive over was 8hrs one way away and where I still built a rock crawler I find this, and this whole thread kind of interesting. Yes URE is nice to have around, but there is a shit load of parks within a 4-5hr drive (at least where I am at) and I'm like a damn kid in a candy store since moving down here. Yea my truck is over built for URE, I still enjoy going there, but there is so much hard wheeling in this part of the country. Build a rig and drive a few extra hours to hit the other parks around to keep those places open and spend some $$$ in those towns while you are there. Do what we can to keep URE open, but it's not the end all be all of destinations.

My .02
Yes you are correct for the most part but we have seen some private places get shut down too. And for those of us in South Carolina it's more like 8 hours to get to those parks. People from GA have it good too with all the parks in AL.

A friend of mine is doing a flat fender group ride up there May 6-8.

Went with my son on my 3A on April 2nd. Had fun did Dickey Bell, Dutch John and Daniel. Got an offer to pull me out at the end of Daniel from a tow truck operator (gave me his card). Let me know if you have a future flat fender event there and I will consider coming back (3ASteve on 2A Forum).

Back