Uwharrie Trail Work Day #10, February 26th

Will You Be Attending?

• Total voters
this weekend

Will we be able to camp this weekend. Me and my son would like to help out. We worked on the trails eight years ago and want to get back into wheeling.

Thank!

I plan on attending, and I'll have an open seat in my jeep if someone needs a ride in. On a side note I'd love to get one of those volunteer stickers for UF

wont make this one, going to the memorial ride at DPG

Would be too much driving for one day to do both, we will be at the March 26th workday.

Sorry Guys, somthing just came up and I can not make it.

Jim

Sorry for the short post, was just trying to get something posted from my phone at work. I am home now so I will post the email Terry sent out:

Hi Everyone - I'm sorry about the short notice. Several volunteers came up the January 28 - 29th and February 18-19th weekends for the chainsaw training and we had a lot of folks up for the December work weekend. This past weekend our folks also ended up on a few fires so we're not going to have a work weekend this Saturday afterall. We'll have one more work weekend for the off season to get the trails set for opening day. The trails maintenance contractor should be starting soon to repair the trail tread and drainage.

For Saturday, March 26th we'll work on clearing any downed trees & hazard trees from the trails with our newly trained chainsaw volunteers. Also, we'll finish off the guardrail installation on Falls Dam Trail and a few other trail locations on other trail. We'll also be installing carsonite signs at the trail intersections for the OHV trails, & roads, & non-motorized trails to reduce some of the confusion out there. Also, the adopt a trail signs that have gone missing will be available for us to install that day too for your clubs.

Please let me know if your club is coming up for the March 26th work weekend & about how many folks you'll have. If you'll be able to bring up any equipment like a tractor or skid steer with an auger to use for the guardrail please let me know.

We'll meet at Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am that Saturday. Also, please let Janet & / or I know if you'll need campsites and how many for your club to camp at Arrowhead. Pass this on to your newly trained chainsaw folks and the rest of your club and we'll see who can make it.

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm looking forward to another great year and we appreciate your volunteering. Take care and we'll see you in March. Bye - Terry

You never see me bashing the forest service on here but this really makes me step back for a second. I am going to call Terry tomorrow and see if we can get around this, I am stubborn as most may know. I am not promising anything, but it can't hurt to try. We have about 15 people committed to this, and I can't just say "Hey everybody we can't do it, sorry you re-arranged your schedules etc" without at least seeing what we can do.

In the end I will be out there NO MATTER WHAT happens. I will be doing work with the Auger, and other materials we have. So either way it will be a work day for me. Anyone else that wants to come help is more than welcome even if I get back from Terry that we aren't going on the trails.

Saturday

I'm all for working, but I'm just curious where are you considering doing the improvements on the forest if were not going to be on the trails. I understand the issue with the forest fires in Cumberland County utilizing most of the forest service personnel , but can we not have a direction of things that need to be done and don't we have the drive to complete the work?

I'm gonna say their decision is based on their peoples hours. If they did their regular hours plus fire fighting they probably went into OT, and the gubment hates that. I can't see anyone coming out to open gates or stuff for us when they already have loads of hours in. I'm disappointed, but those people work at that stuff all the time.

It looked like we were gonna have a really good turn out also. I guess see what they say, but I wouldn't push it too far.

Workday is still on for our group.

Hi Eli - I talked with Janet today and she'll get you guys set up for this weekend. Let her know asap if you need campsites & how many. Thanks.

Here's the plan - We'll have you guys complete as much as you can of the guardrail installation on the Falls Dam Trail. Go to the sites that have the orange flagging on them. Please meet up with Janet and she'll let you into the spray field to get whatever guardrail and posts are left. There are some guardrail and posts laying out at the Falls Dam Trailhead and I'll see where other pieces might be that you can pick up and use and get a count of those. Will you have a trailer & trucks that can take the guardrail and posts into Falls Dam Trail? Will you have the bobcat & auger? I will have the hand augers and fuel at Janet's that you can sign out to use. She'll also have shovels, post hole diggers and rock bars/tampers, nuts and bolts, and ratchets. She'll have passes too.

Janet - I'll have Dave bring out passes, augers & fuel, nuts & bolts, rock bar/tamper & ratchets for this weekend. Let me know how many posts and rails are left at the sprayfield. Can you let the folks in at the FR 516 gate? I'll have Dave bring that stuff back into the work center on Monday.

Pete - Can you get 2 of the best hand augers and fuel, nuts & bolts, ratchets, & rock bar/hand tamper ready for Dave to take out to Janet's by this afternoon since you'll be off tomorrow? Please let me know where the stuff is & I'll tell Dave since he's on the trails now. Thank you!

Dave - Please meet up with me tomorrow and we'll get the stuff together that Pete has organized for you to take out to Janet's. Thanks a lot everyone. Bye - Terry
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Theresa Stevens Savery (Terry)
District Recreation Staff Supervisor
National Forests of North Carolina
Uwharrie National Forest
789 NC Hwy 24/27 East
Troy, NC 27371-9332

GJ Eli. :beer:

My jeep should be able to handle either posts or augers or a little of both. I'm bringing a friend also. he wants to see what I'm never shutting up about. :lol: I should have that thing we talked about for you also Eli.

I might be coming, not sure if Im going to have to work this weekend. But I'm trying.

You are correct we are going ahead with the work day. Thanks to Janet we will have access to the trails. If it wasn't for her willingness to sign us in, and unlock the trails for us we would be SOL. Also a big thanks to Terry Savery for trusting us to get out there and get the work done.

Don't forget everyone, breakfast is a 8am at the Outpost, and meet up is 9am at the Hunt Camp. We will be leaving the Hunt Camp around 9:30am.

And how many people that participated in the group buy are planning on being at the work day to pick up cans?

:beer::beer:

As the quoted email reads our main focus will be putting up guard railing on Falls Dam. This involves dragging the railing down the trail, drilling holes with an auger and hand tools, then installing the posts/guard rails. There may be one or two people picking up trash/doing trail diamonds if we have enough people.

Well that was a roller coaster ride reading the posts catching up with events. I will still be there roped a friend into coming along as well.

Lunch

Is this hotdog stand that presumably is going to be there something being put on for the volunteers? Just wanna know if I should pack a lunch. I'm planning on heading up Friday and camping up there, I'm feeling some early dawn fishing at Badin before the breakfast.

I REALLY wanted to make it to this work day.....everything was fine until a couple of days ago.

I received a phone call Wednesday and got some very bad news about a very close friend in WV......so I'm heading North for the weekend.

I hope to make it to the next one...............

Back