V10 Excursion

Buffy

So the wife and I are looking at a 2000 V10 Excursion 4x4. I am not concerned with gas mileage as this will be a brand kid hauler when they pile in on us. The truck looks great in the pictures with airbags in the rear for towing brake controller the works. The current negotiated price is $4,250.00. Th down side is it has 281k on the motor. The current owner says he doesn’t think twice to tow a trailer to the beach or road trip to the mountains.

So anyone have experience with the Ford V10? Any common issues to look out for? Like stated earlier or worried about gas mileage. 7.3 diesels still carry too much of a premium for my taste. The 6.0 diesels are cheaper and can be have very cheap if I am willing to do a head job on it. No problem doing that but I really want something I can drive for now.

The price seems a bit high for a 300k mile SUV with the less desirable engine.....I have heard good things about the ford V10, it just isn't the engine most people want i the excursion.

Snappy had one and love it. I have a customer with an F350 V10 with 350k and I know several people with that motor that is going strong.

at the end of the day, it seems a tad high unless it is realllllyyy clean. I’d try to get it for a touch less than $4k.
Also, replacing the V10 would run you a few grand. You’ll spend more than that on heads for a 6.0 and 4 times that to replace either the 7.3 or 6.0 motor.

The price seems a bit high for a 300k mile SUV with the less desirable engine.....I have heard good things about the ford V10, it just isn't the engine most people want i the excursion.
A bit high? There's a bottom to every market, and it's hard to imagine a decent condition excursion being worth less than $4k. What's it worth in your mind?

A bit high? There's a bottom to every market, and it's hard to imagine a decent condition excursion being worth less than $4k. What's it worth in your mind?

My experience is, selling anything means buyers will only offer the price of the next lowest priced comparable vehicle.

2000 Ford Excursion (V10)

Looks like some elbow grease could save you some money if you were so inclined. I don't know the market, but I have noticed a lot of V10 excursions, priced like they are 7.3l excursions, they have been for sale for a LONG time.

If it is clean, and well kept, the price is probably fine, I would equate the V10 excursion market to the 2.5l YJ/TJ market.....the really nice ones make you think twice about it, but they are the only ones that pull more than half the price of a 4.0l.

2000 Ford Excursion (V10)

Looks like some elbow grease could save you some money if you were so inclined. I don't know the market, but I have noticed a lot of V10 excursions, priced like they are 7.3l excursions, they have been for sale for a LONG time.

If it is clean, and well kept, the price is probably fine, I would equate the V10 excursion market to the 2.5l YJ/TJ market.....the really nice ones make you think twice about it, but they are the only ones that pull more than half the price of a 4.0l.

I’ve texts it’s the owner of this one. It has a very long list of things wrong with it that I don’t want to get into. I am up to my eyeballs in projects as it is.

I get it, I am just pointing out that with the exception of spotless examples, the lowest priced option in the available marketplace often sets the price point.

I am pretty cheap, I am simply pointing out, there is always some wiggle room when you like things that other people don't (especially when they aren't rare).

If the price is right, and the vehicle is clean.....$4k isn't out of hand. I paid what I considered too much for my wifes XJ.....but it was a "fully loaded" (pw, pl, keyless, 4wd, and new AC), it was a 1 owner and a 5 speed.....I could have bought 3 XJ's and built this one and saved some $$$.....but I paid for a ready to go vehicle.....then I basically replaced all the wear items on it anyway.

If you like it buy it.....but at 280k on the clock, I wouldn't believe I wasn't going to put $2k of parts into it to have peace of mind and a better/safer vehicle.

I had one back when were ECORS racing. Hauled my MJ, wife, 140# dog and a ton of gear without issue. Even had room for the 3 of us to sleep inside.
Never had any mechanical issues at all. Got around 10 empty and 8 towing IIRC.
Don't be afraid to rev it when towing. Mod motor Ford's like RPMs

I just got back from a 2500 mile multi destination vacation in a v10 excursion with 250k on it and would do it again without a thought. We had 6 people and enough stuff for 10 days and were very comfortable. My wife loves hers and will probably have it for a long time.

These things love gearing. Ours is geared 4.30 and I love it. With stock size tires it turns close to 2500rpm at 70. It also gets 11mpg around town, we saw 12.5 mpg on one stretch of highway through Va., and my son and I took it to Harlan in July and got 10.5 mpg pulling a 20ft trailer and rig round trip (all hand calculated). It doesn't vary much no matter what you do. Like @Jody Treadway said, don't be afraid to let it sing.

Seems like a reasonable price if its in good shape. I love my V10 excursion. 275k on the clock. 12 mpgs around town and 9 pulling the Ranger around. Check for rust in the rockers behind the rear doors and worn out suspension bushings.

IMG_1218.JPG

worn out suspension bushings.

That is one thing I addressed on ours. When I bought it had 180k miles on it and still had the stock shocks! After a year or two wollowing around in it I put new f350 springs on it and bilstein 5100 shocks all the way around. Wow what a difference! One thing to note, it rides like a f350, so if you don't mind it riding like a truck its great. I also installed a helwig rear sway bar.

If I had it to do all over again, I would just call Atlas and get a set of there springs and be done. Not a much more money and much better spring.

That is one thing I addressed on ours. When I bought it had 180k miles on it and still had the stock shocks! After a year or two wollowing around in it I put new f350 springs on it and bilstein 5100 shocks all the way around. Wow what a difference! One thing to note, it rides like a f350, so if you don't mind it riding like a truck its great. I also installed a helwig rear sway bar.

If I had it to do all over again, I would just call Atlas and get a set of there springs and be done. Not a much more money and much better spring.

I want to upgrade my springs with a little lift and some 315s. I hadn't even considered Atlas springs. I do have a shock upgrade, but it still rides like an F350. Did you notice any difference in particular with that sway bar or did you do it at the same time as the new springs?

Isn’t it pretty easy to convert the front to the newer coils spring style from the 05+?

I know that’s way overboard, just curious.

I hadn't even considered Atlas springs.

Its more money for the Atlas springs, but they are great springs. They're the same company that makes springs for ujoint offroad's vans and everyone says they drive better than stock when lifted. The downside is they do cost more money. I think I paid somewhere around 1200$ for the f350 leafsprings, bilstein shocks and sway bar shipped to the house. The Atlas springs look to be about 1500$ plus shipping. I used this guide to do the f350 springs.

Excursion Leaf Spring Swap with F250 Springs | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts

Did you notice any difference in particular with that sway bar or did you do it at the same time as the new springs?

I did the springs first and then the sway bar a few weeks later. I honestly did not notice much difference with the sway bar. I would not recommend spending the money on it.

Yes you can swap the front suspension to coils. Best thing to do is to buy a SRW f-350 or f-250 2005+ and use it for parts. I bought a 2007 SRW f-350 for $4k when I did the swap on mine, I sold parts off it and the axles out of my excursion and made more than $4k best I remembered (chrome edition truck so it has leather interior which helped). I couldn't use the helper spring on the rear as they interfere with the a/c lines, but just the f-350 springs seem to be plenty. It rides SOOO much better, and the turning radius is awesome. Probably is about time for new shocks though. I tow with it regularly and it handles the trailer well, 280k miles on it currently (6.0 not a v10 though)

An old friend of mine (AND @Tater @RQ @uglyjeepoffroad) had a V10 F-250 with *everything* Banks made for them.
Pretty sure he sold it with 220K+ (to fund his 6.0/6.4/6.7 affliction he's up to like 5-6 trucks now) and pulled stoopid loads weekly.

We went from Clayton, GA to Blairsville (think Dills Gap) with a bumper pull heavy equipment trailer hauling both our Commandos (had to be north of 20k#).
Aside from being concerned about the fawker exploding between my legs (was riding bitch) every time it dropped to 1st gear at 4000rpm SCREAMING :eek:... it had no issues aside from 4MPG :D

Thanks for all the great information! I am going Saturday to look at a 2003 V10 with about 210k miles. Carfax is clean, has a check engine light on but the price is very reasonable. Will take my code reader with me and see what we come up with. Will let you guys know how it goes!

Well not a lot of success yesterday. I had high hopes but when we got there is was much worse than advertised. It had a cobbled at together 2 inch lift and 35s that scrubbed to high heaven. Overall lots of hackery along with a broken AC system. I already have a waiting list at the shop so we passed. We are hoping to find one that we can just drive. Then today we went and looked at what was my top contender. It had an impressive Carfax with lots of service records the works. Rode by the lot it was on and needed a tetanus shot just looking at it. Oh well the search continues, PM me if anyone sees a nice one.

That's how it goes, at least you aren't in a NEED situation. As a general rule, I tend to pass on vehicles without working AC, that can get expensive fast.

There is a mint condition V10 excursion out there that some grand parents used to shuttle around grand kids with your name on it, now go find it!

There is a very nice looking one near me in Matthews NC. I've never stopped to look and know no details and its been there a long time. It's in a hard place for me to stop in my work truck and trailer but if you would be interested I can...

Back