Value of old Jeep, 51 CJ3A

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
A co-worker of mine has a 51 CJ3A that he has lost interest in fixing up and now wants to get rid of. The engine is currently apart, but he has all the parts including new rings, bearings, etc to go in it. The head has also been resurfaced. The windshield glass is missing, but the frame is there. The body does not seem to have too much rust from looking at the pictures he sent me (I can't see light through it). There is no title, so I would have to apply for a lost title or something. The tires are also dried out and would need replacing. The exhaust manifold also would need replacing and it needs a full exhaust system. No top either and the seats look trashed. He says it has a rear PTO setup and that the tranny is worth some good money. What would an old Jeep like this be worth? He is asking $500 for it.

DK

It aint worth nothing, don't mess with it, by the way what's the guys name and phone number.

Sounds like a total basket case. If you have never done a complete resto or don't have a shop and/or LOT'S of time, you may want to pass on it. Just pass the deal on to someone who can see it through.
If you do take it, be ready for a few months to a couple of years to complete it. Also realize that there will be parts missing. Don't think that the original parts are made of gold. They're harder to sell than you may realize but there are a few good Willy's sites to peddle parts and to get advice. Also, there is a good aftermarket for repro parts available.
The title is another story. In NC you will have trouble. If you have a family member in SC or somewhere close, there is a title company that can get a title for about $300.00
If he wants 5 bills for it you can probably get it for less by talking about it being all apart, bad tires, etc.,

restoring an old CJ3A is cake compared to restoring an old Ford or Chevy. They are alot simpler in terms of just about anything.

drkelly said:
A co-worker of mine has a 51 CJ3A that he has lost interest in fixing up and now wants to get rid of. The engine is currently apart, but he has all the parts including new rings, bearings, etc to go in it. The head has also been resurfaced. The windshield glass is missing, but the frame is there. The body does not seem to have too much rust from looking at the pictures he sent me (I can't see light through it). There is no title, so I would have to apply for a lost title or something. The tires are also dried out and would need replacing. The exhaust manifold also would need replacing and it needs a full exhaust system. No top either and the seats look trashed. He says it has a rear PTO setup and that the tranny is worth some good money. What would an old Jeep like this be worth? He is asking $500 for it.
DK

You can check out the willystech.com parts board and get a general idea of the value of used vehicles and parts. My first 3A was running and driving, but with a little bit of rust, I gave about 900 bucks for it. If you decide to purchase it, Krage's (www.jeepdoc.com) is where I bought all of my hardware except the reproduction floor pans. I purchased those through Turner four wheel drive in Georgia. It took me about a year to get mine in street worthy shape, but it is worth it when I get to unleash all 60 horsepower:D

For price, ask at earlycj5.com, if you get it you'll be there a lot.

The issue will really be a question of issues versus skills.

If you enjoy engine work, then this 3a will be a great history lesson.

If you hate wiring, and the wiring on this is shot? pass

Basically, think of the things you like working on and the things you hate working on. If a vehicle has more issues in the hate column than the love column, pass at any price. Of course, that is unless you're a Jeep freak and love to resurrect an old beast, then all bets are off. I'd want to whittle him down as low as possible, because you're going to need money to pay for parts. Also, White Owl in Kinston is a great local source of NOS parts if you want to restore it. www.whiteowl.com

-- Admitted Jeep freak...
J

Thanks for the info. I have decided to pass on this Jeep. I don't have time to take on another project. If anyone is interested in this Jeep, shoot me a pm and I will give you the guy's contact info. Picture is available.

DK

Back