Value of TJ

exploreit

Thinking of selling off my 2000 TJ. I'm the second owner and purchased it stock in 2002 with 32K miles. Here is are a few specs:
2000 Sport 4.0, Manual transmission, 92K miles, Dana 30 and 35, 3.73 gears, Soft top
15"x10" Dick Cepek wheels
35"x12.50 Mickey Thompson MTZ
Tummy tuck skid
2" Budget boost lift
1.75" Body lift
Full Hard doors
Made "mirror movers" to mount mirrors on body instead of doors
Made brush guard
Made bike rack for 2 bikes
Currently working on rack for kayaks
Also have some parts not installed but will be included:
Dana 44 rear with 3:73 gear set limited slip carrier "used" (purchased from another NC4X4 member)
Dana 44 "thick" 4:10 gear set and carrier "used" (purchased from another NC4x4 member)
Dana 44 "lunch box" locker (brand name cant remember at the moment but is new never used)
Dana 44 Master install kit New
Dana 30 Aussie locker New
Dana 30 4:10 gear set
Highline fenders, factory fenders with modifications (purchased from NC4X4 member)
Now a couple bad points:
1 fender has a rust spot thru
Frame shows some signs of rust around the rear lower control arm mounts, common for TJ's to my understanding.
With everything mentioned would $9K be optimistic?
Jeep 35's.jpg

Last edited:
Yes (optimistic)
If you look at what's for sale here in classified you'll see TJs aren't really selling well. There have been some kick ass built TJs that couldn't bring $10k

Then there's that purple one that he can't get $6k for

Sorry man..

Mine is a 2000 4.0 5spd Sport with AC, ~97k miles, Stroker motor, built driveline, 37's, fantastic condition cosmetically inside and out, and I'd be surprised if I could get more than $10k for it.

$5-$7k depending on the rust you mentioned.

Market is flooded with TJ's. And that poor dude in the purple yurple TJ... he'd sell it for MORE if he rattle canned it.

But that rust spot is interesting, I had it on mine before I put MCE Flat Fenders on. A guy I met at church has the same thing, and now yours.

Wonder whats so special about that spot that makes it so inclined for rust?

Market is flooded with TJ's. And that poor dude in the purple yurple TJ... he'd sell it for MORE if he rattle canned it.

But that rust spot is interesting, I had it on mine before I put MCE Flat Fenders on. A guy I met at church has the same thing, and now yours.

Is there not an inner fender support that joins the outer shell in this region. As I recall they intersect around that place with a forward facing lip. Laminated layers if you will. In combination with the 90 degree profile of the fender side it gets all plugged up with sediment and does not drain well. A sizable area of that zone has two layers of sheet metal and as I recall with absolutely no effort too seam seal the two. The entire front fender inner fender is assembled this way. Been a while since I modified one, but I do remember the ridiculous layers while trying to determine clean cut and cheap "flatty" mod. This is why I choose the normal tube reinforcement because everything was cheesy when trimmed aggressively.

Is there not an inner fender support that joins the outer shell in this region. As I recall they intersect around that place with a forward facing lip. Laminated layers if you will. In combination with the 90 degree profile of the fender side it gets all plugged up with sediment and does not drain well. A sizable area of that zone has two layers of sheet metal and as I recall with absolutely no effort too seam seal the two. The entire front fender inner fender is assembled this way. Been a while since I modified one, but I do remember the ridiculous layers while trying to determine clean cut and cheap "flatty" mod. This is why I choose the normal tube reinforcement because everything was cheesy when trimmed aggressively.

You're right, MCE Fenders use the inner fender so you cut the upper outer portion off - and I remember looking at it thinking it was bizarre. There were some sizeable spaces between the layers with bits of sand and junk in there. I had forgotten all about that.

I need to go put some sealant on it, because it's still there - if more open now to drainage and drying out.

The reason mine has the spot in the fender was one time I was "playing" my tire made contact with the inside of the fender causing the loss of paint......then time took over.

It is a very good looking Jeep. If you are not in a hurry to sell it, I would start high. The price I mentioned earlier is what I would be willing to pay for it, but someone else might be willing to pay more. If I came to look at it, I would poke around all over on the frame with a screwdriver to see if the rust you mention is just on the surface or if I end up poking a hole through the frame. Good luck.

Back