Vehicle Sanding

R Q

I have a few layers of paint to get through on an old vehicle I'm tinkering with and want to leave the original paint intact and then satin clear it. Most all of my old body and woodworking sanders are dead so I'm starting over. My favorite body sander was a straightline sander or as some called it a "air file". The round orbital type of body sanders never appealed to me but maybe it was the one that I had. And then I had the regular wood sanding electric sanders. I have a lot of flat surface to cover but also corners and close to edges to do. The ridges and edges I'll do by hand.
What's the crowd here say as best tools for the job? I'll probably do HF unless the difference is big because these will be the "Occasional use tools"

I stripped 2 colors off a 62 Chevy with aircraft stripper

Amazingly it wouldn't touch the original finish. If I had done it these days where original paint and patina is cool, it would have been perfect. But I ended up sending it to the sandblaster to metal

I know it's not what you asked but thought I'd throw that out there since I discovered it by accident

Back