Walk behind trimmers??

WARRIORWELDING

Owner opperator Of WarriorWelding LLC.
Anyone got first hand experience with a walk behind string trimmer? Looking at ways to trim under electric fence.
Pto tractor style is out for now.

Wondered if you could attach a brush blade on any of them?

Weed Wacker works but it's plum annoying to me. Looking to pony up for a some driven wheels as well.

Spray is out. No round up or such.

I have one that you push the boys i get to cut grass won't use it they say it is easier and faster to use a weed eater.

I had a DR version before DR was bought out by “he who shall not be named” and ruined.

Still that thing was a PITA. String changes were painful, it wouldn’t fit many places you needed. Like others I found myself leaving it setting and grabbing the weed eater - eventually adding a shoulder strap to the weed eater.

If I had to buy and use one I’d insist on an anteater style.

I’d also make sure it could flip back to reload.

There are a few different brands and models, some belt driven and some 12v. I spray everything I can't mow, but if I didn't this is what I'd do.

Last edited:
Key words

I'm with Drew, I'd MUCH prefer a push... Well my shoulders, back, legs, other 50yr old parts prefer it.

But my hills are all too steep and am forced to use a weedeater. Usually for the better part of 6 hrs to keep that fresh look 🤦‍♂️

I have been using one the past few times I have mowed due to my weedeater having a hole in the tank. It sucks in tight spaces, slopes, and goes through a lot of string.
Been thinking about replacing the string with some saw chain but might be a bad idea.
String trimmer for the win.

I have a couple string trimmers. None are weak homeowner grade. Been a while since I had a harness the old one fell apart. I remember it really helping.

Was thinking maybe the extra hp and line thickness would be the ticket. Self propelled would be the only way I would run a wheeled trimmer in my head.

@CasterTroy hit the nail on the head. Shoulders have taken a beating other the years. Trying to work them less.

Just get a quality string trimmer with enough power to make it fun. Take off the guard and let er eat!
^^THIS^^

With 88 (fawking) acres, I went for the next-to-biggest Stihl BRUSH CUTTER they made 4-5 years ago... harness is comfy for 80% of my chores (the other 20% is very steep)...
For most "trimming"/occassional, removed the "guard" and it will sling a good 20"-24" of string... the "4Mix" (OHV, but uses mix is a fawking torque monster!) and bounces off the limiter under load @ 3/4 throttle .
For trimming along the ponds (feeble attempt to not sling as much into the pond/not get as wet), I got their shorter "hedge trimmer" style attachment... meh, super slow.
Clearing brambles/saplings gets a carbide tipped (13"-14") saw blade that barely notices <1", but doesn't mind >2"

I had a DR version before DR was bought out by “he who shall not be named” and ruined.

Still that thing was a PITA. String changes were painful, it wouldn’t fit many places you needed. Like others I found myself leaving it setting and grabbing the weed eater - eventually adding a shoulder strap to the weed eater.

If I had to buy and use one I’d insist on an anteater style.

I’d also make sure it could flip back to reload.
My exact thoughts after my parents bought one when I was a kid for me to take care of all the fences around our horse pastures

Neighbor has a DR unit I'm gonna try out. He loves his and uses it to keep Mt. Bike paths and Motorcycle track type stuff knocked down. We often hit on similar wave lengths so I'm gonna give his a try.

In the long run I would keep string on one weed eater. A brush blade on another with the walk behind trimmer used primarily with string. The bush hog and chipper are gonna get busy. I have to get some fence put up and some field edges worked.

I may just get pissed enough to fix all the issues a wheeled New Holland skid steer has........well if I had the money, 😂.

Something about puttering along pushing in straight lines seem simpler than waving my arms and walking.

I have one that my dad got from rural king. It’s a bad mama jama

They work, but they're a workout. Best use I ever found for ours was on the 3pt hitch of the garden tractor with 18" of chainsaw chain and a 1/4" shield. Was nearly unstoppable if you went reasonably slow. Great for cutting new trails or fence rows. Otherwise, I prefer a good stihl weedeater.

I don't want to start another thread sooo...

I need a better string trimmer/weedeater and I'm looking for recommendations. The current one doesn't have the power to deal with the thick grass and weeds and just bogs. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Get one of these and be done with it.

I have the second to largest sthil kombi. Love it. Powers all the attachment. Recently picked up the power sweep and that thing rocks. Cleared 2 cu/ft of crushed stone out of the yard within 20 mins

I have one that you push the boys i get to cut grass won't use it they say it is easier and faster to use a weed eater.
Absolutely this. I have had a couple when I was in the rental management arena and it’s always easier and faster to use a good Stihl trimmer.

I have the second to largest sthil kombi. Love it. Powers all the attachment. Recently picked up the power sweep and that thing rocks. Cleared 2 cu/ft of crushed stone out of the yard within 20 mins
I have the KM91 and love it.

I don’t remember the model# right off but I use a RedMax trimmer and it’s a beast. It needs a carb rebuild right now. It won’t rev until it gets warmed up, but once it does it’s on. I also have a RedMax backpack blower that I love too. I keep them in my shop for the heavier work, fence rows etc.

My wife wanted a blower to keep the porches and stuff cleaned off. I bought a M18 combo kit with the blower and trimmer and also bought the pole saw attachment for it. I’ve actually been very impressed with all of it. I keep it in the garage at the house and end up using it for most stuff. For general yard work the trimmer does great. I’ve ran it 45 minutes straight on a 8ah battery and still had half charge left. And it takes some heavy stuff to bog it down.

Back