Wanted: 4.0 Wiz and a Shop

JSJJ388

GREEN GREMLIN
So after a few years of being down, I'm finally getting around to getting my jeep going. I'm looking for someone with more knowledge than me and the proper tools to help me get it going. Willing to pay in cash, beer, pizza, or trades, or a combination. Willing to haul it to you and looking to learn from it instead of just paying someone. Still a few weeks from being ready with all that's going on, but trying to get a plan together. Closer to yadkin county the better, but will drive for someone who knows their stuff.

On to what's wrong. See question thread here 92 4.0 SURGING AND HARD START .

Short version is I swapped in a motor that's supposed to be a mild 4.2L build that ran strong when it ran. Got it put in and it's hard to start, backfires through the manifold, and skips at high rpm. I've been told the distributor isn't set right and timing is off. Try as I might, I can't get it set right so I'm tapping out.

Anyway, thanks in advance for the help, this is always a great crowd. Mods, feel free to move if I put this in the wrong spot.

TTT

Still looking to get the jeep going and get back on the trails. Beer and food usually motivates this crowd! :smokin:

I'm too far away but I'll tell you how to fix it. You'll need a 3/4" socket and ratchet, spark plug socket, 13mm wrench, flat head screwdriver and a 3/16" drill bit.
Remove dizzy with the 13 mm wrench, remove #1 spark plug, spin engine over by hand until you feel compression through the #1 plug hole, then continue to rotate the engine until you line up the timing mark on the balancer (small indentation on face) with the TDC mark on the timing cover, you're at #1 TDC now. Reinstall plug.
Remove the cam sensor from the dizzy. You'll see a 3/16" hole on the bottom of the distributor and a corresponding 3/16" hole on the flat plate attached to the dizzy shaft, place the drill bit (or small phillips driver, etc to lock the shaft to the dizzy body, so that it won't spin. Now the dizzy is locked in place.
Using the flat screwdriver, rotate the oil pump (what the dizzy spins in the block) to the 10:00 position.
Drop in the dizzy until it is flush with the block. You may need to turn the oil pump a little bit to accomplish this. When the dizzy is flush with the block with the dizzy locked, bolt down the dizzy and remove the drill bit.
Reinstall cam sensor, cap and fire it up.

I'm too far away but I'll tell you how to fix it. You'll need a 3/4" socket and ratchet, spark plug socket, 13mm wrench, flat head screwdriver and a 3/16" drill bit.
Remove dizzy with the 13 mm wrench, remove #1 spark plug, spin engine over by hand until you feel compression through the #1 plug hole, then continue to rotate the engine until you line up the timing mark on the balancer (small indentation on face) with the TDC mark on the timing cover, you're at #1 TDC now. Reinstall plug.
Remove the cam sensor from the dizzy. You'll see a 3/16" hole on the bottom of the distributor and a corresponding 3/16" hole on the flat plate attached to the dizzy shaft, place the drill bit (or small phillips driver, etc to lock the shaft to the dizzy body, so that it won't spin. Now the dizzy is locked in place.
Using the flat screwdriver, rotate the oil pump (what the dizzy spins in the block) to the 10:00 position.
Drop in the dizzy until it is flush with the block. You may need to turn the oil pump a little bit to accomplish this. When the dizzy is flush with the block with the dizzy locked, bolt down the dizzy and remove the drill bit.
Reinstall cam sensor, cap and fire it up.
Bowing Down Waynes World GIF

Back